Parallel Install Question

Hi All,

I have misplaced my original WIN Me upgrade disk and am experiencing
minor system degradation (also got the blue screen message to re-install
Windows Me). My original system had too small a hard disk to run System
Restore - so I don't have the ability to go back to previous version. I
also neglected to turn on system restore after I upgraded my hardisk.

After some research I learned that I can do a parallel installation that
likely will repair my problem(s). What I plan on doing is purchasing another
Windows Me disk to use for the parallel installation. I'm wondering if
anyone here has experience with parallel installations?

My question is: Will I be required to enter the original disk
registration number when performing the parallel installation?

Thanks in advance, you people are awesome -

-Al

--
><><><><><><>
Send Replies to:
alv@ieee.org
<><><><><><><>

Shane

Albumen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have misplaced my original WIN Me upgrade disk and am
> experiencing minor system degradation (also got the blue screen
> message to re-install Windows Me). My original system had too small a
> hard disk to run System Restore - so I don't have the ability to go
> back to previous version. I also neglected to turn on system restore
> after I upgraded my hardisk.

System Restore did not exist before Win ME, so you can't use it to uninstall
ME.

> After some research I learned that I can do a parallel
> installation that likely will repair my problem(s). What I plan on
> doing is purchasing another Windows Me disk to use for the parallel
> installation. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with
> parallel installations?

All the files you need are in C:\Windows\Options. Burn that folder to cd.

> My question is: Will I be required to enter the original disk
> registration number when performing the parallel installation?

Frankly, at this hour I don't remember, but the no. is in the registry and
can be retrieved several ways, the easiest of which is to run Belarc
Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Meanwhile, look here: http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm

Shane

> Thanks in advance, you people are awesome -
>
> -Al
>
>> <><><><><><>
> Send Replies to:
> alv@ieee.org
> <><><><><><><>

I would NOT recommend a reinstall of any kind for a 'minor degradation of
performance'!!!

Albumen - please come back to us with your perceived problems, and some
details - we can probably sort them without resorting to such drastic (and
possibly futile) measures.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Albumen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have misplaced my original WIN Me upgrade disk and am
>> experiencing minor system degradation (also got the blue screen
>> message to re-install Windows Me). My original system had too small a
>> hard disk to run System Restore - so I don't have the ability to go
>> back to previous version. I also neglected to turn on system restore
>> after I upgraded my hardisk.
>>

> System Restore did not exist before Win ME, so you can't use it to
> uninstall
> ME.
>
>> After some research I learned that I can do a parallel
>> installation that likely will repair my problem(s). What I plan on
>> doing is purchasing another Windows Me disk to use for the parallel
>> installation. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with
>> parallel installations?
>>

> All the files you need are in C:\Windows\Options. Burn that folder to cd.
>
>> My question is: Will I be required to enter the original disk
>> registration number when performing the parallel installation?
>>

> Frankly, at this hour I don't remember, but the no. is in the registry and
> can be retrieved several ways, the easiest of which is to run Belarc
> Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> Meanwhile, look here: http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
>
> Shane
>

>> Thanks in advance, you people are awesome -
>>
>> -Al
>>
>>> <><><><><><>
>> Send Replies to:
>> alv@ieee.org
>> <><><><><><><>

Shane

Figured you said that on your page, Noel.

Shane

Noel Paton wrote:
> I would NOT recommend a reinstall of any kind for a 'minor
> degradation of performance'!!!
>
> Albumen - please come back to us with your perceived problems, and
> some details - we can probably sort them without resorting to such
> drastic (and possibly futile) measures.
>

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Albumen wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have misplaced my original WIN Me upgrade disk and am
>>> experiencing minor system degradation (also got the blue screen
>>> message to re-install Windows Me). My original system had too small
>>> a hard disk to run System Restore - so I don't have the ability to
>>> restore after I upgraded my hardisk.
>>>

>> System Restore did not exist before Win ME, so you can't use it to
>> uninstall
>> ME.
>>
>>> After some research I learned that I can do a parallel
>>> installation that likely will repair my problem(s). What I plan on
>>> doing is purchasing another Windows Me disk to use for the parallel
>>> installation. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with
>>> parallel installations?
>>>

>> All the files you need are in C:\Windows\Options. Burn that folder
>> to cd.
>>
>>> My question is: Will I be required to enter the original disk
>>> registration number when performing the parallel installation?
>>>

>> Frankly, at this hour I don't remember, but the no. is in the
>> registry and can be retrieved several ways, the easiest of which is
>> to run Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>>
>> Meanwhile, look here: http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
>>
>> Shane
>>

>>> Thanks in advance, you people are awesome -
>>>
>>> -Al

>>> Send Replies to:
>>> alv@ieee.org
>>> <><><><><><><>

Update!

Here are the error messages I promised to post:

Blue Screens:
IExplorer: error on startup - OE0028:C731A644:BO412d23
Real Player: NTKEZN01 + 000039A9 error OE:0028:C006b40B401
LookoutExpress: 0E:0028:C731A44

Modal Dialogs:
On startup: MS Developer - linker error #LNC2001 - missing function body
IExplorer: crash - error in <unknown>
RealPlayer - has caused an error in MP3FFORMAT.DLL
(outlook exp)MSIMM has caused an error in COMCTL32.DLL
RealPlay has caused an error in REALPLAY.EXE
(Quickbooks) QBW32 has caused an error in <unknown>

--
><><><><><><>
Send Replies to:
alv@ieee.org
<><><><><><><>

This still looks like a malware infection....(and you've still only given me
partial dat, when I asked for FULL, EXACT messages!)

are you sure that the error is " linker error #LNC2001", rather than "
linker error #LNK2001"???
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/lnk2001.asp

Your 0E error (note the difference - there's no such thing as a OE error) -
this may be worth following
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287723

Quickbooks is a PITA - sort the other things out first.

You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
CoolWebSearch hijacker.

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system.

--

"Albumen" <albumen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Update!
>
> Here are the error messages I promised to post:
>
> Blue Screens:
> IExplorer: error on startup - OE0028:C731A644:BO412d23
> Real Player: NTKEZN01 + 000039A9 error OE:0028:C006b40B401
> LookoutExpress: 0E:0028:C731A44
>
> Modal Dialogs:
> On startup: MS Developer - linker error #LNC2001 - missing function body
> IExplorer: crash - error in <unknown>
> RealPlayer - has caused an error in MP3FFORMAT.DLL
> (outlook exp)MSIMM has caused an error in COMCTL32.DLL
> RealPlay has caused an error in REALPLAY.EXE
> (Quickbooks) QBW32 has caused an error in <unknown>
>

> --
>><><><><><><>
> Send Replies to:
> alv@ieee.org
> <><><><><><><>

My apologies, that would be LNK2001. The messages are terse, and I am giving
everything except for the boilerplate.

Ran Stinger - or rather tried to. It gave me a blue screen, then I rebooted
and ran again, and again blue screen:

Error in Filename:NTKERN(01) + 00003709
ERROR 06: 0028: C006B231

I've already run the registry tools as suggested - no help.

I have CWShredder already on my machine, I will exit after sending this
e-mail and give it a try.

-a
--
><><><><><><>
Send Replies to:
alv@ieee.org
<><><><><><><>
> This still looks like a malware infection....(and you've still only given
me
> partial dat, when I asked for FULL, EXACT messages!)
>

> are you sure that the error is " linker error #LNC2001", rather than "
> linker error #LNK2001"???

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/lnk2001.asp

> Your 0E error (note the difference - there's no such thing as a OE
error) -
> this may be worth following
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287723
>
> Quickbooks is a PITA - sort the other things out first.
>
> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>
> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
> viruses are not present on your PC
> http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
>
> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>
> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>
> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
> your system.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Albumen" <albumen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Update!
> >
> > Here are the error messages I promised to post:
> >
> > Blue Screens:
> > IExplorer: error on startup - OE0028:C731A644:BO412d23
> > Real Player: NTKEZN01 + 000039A9 error OE:0028:C006b40B401
> > LookoutExpress: 0E:0028:C731A44
> >
> > Modal Dialogs:
> > On startup: MS Developer - linker error #LNC2001 - missing function body
> > IExplorer: crash - error in <unknown>
> > RealPlayer - has caused an error in MP3FFORMAT.DLL
> > (outlook exp)MSIMM has caused an error in COMCTL32.DLL
> > RealPlay has caused an error in REALPLAY.EXE
> > (Quickbooks) QBW32 has caused an error in <unknown>
> >

> > --
> >><><><><><><>
> > Send Replies to:
> > alv@ieee.org
> > <><><><><><><>

CWShredder found nothing.

This is a sticky wicket!

I'll try AdAware SE Personal Edition next.

-a
--
><><><><><><>
Send Replies to:
alv@ieee.org
<><><><><><><>
> This still looks like a malware infection....(and you've still only given
me
> partial dat, when I asked for FULL, EXACT messages!)
>

> are you sure that the error is " linker error #LNC2001", rather than "
> linker error #LNK2001"???

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/lnk2001.asp

> Your 0E error (note the difference - there's no such thing as a OE
error) -
> this may be worth following
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287723
>
> Quickbooks is a PITA - sort the other things out first.
>
> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>
> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
> viruses are not present on your PC
> http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
>
> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>
> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>
> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
> your system.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Albumen" <albumen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Update!
> >
> > Here are the error messages I promised to post:
> >
> > Blue Screens:
> > IExplorer: error on startup - OE0028:C731A644:BO412d23
> > Real Player: NTKEZN01 + 000039A9 error OE:0028:C006b40B401
> > LookoutExpress: 0E:0028:C731A44
> >
> > Modal Dialogs:
> > On startup: MS Developer - linker error #LNC2001 - missing function body
> > IExplorer: crash - error in <unknown>
> > RealPlayer - has caused an error in MP3FFORMAT.DLL
> > (outlook exp)MSIMM has caused an error in COMCTL32.DLL
> > RealPlay has caused an error in REALPLAY.EXE
> > (Quickbooks) QBW32 has caused an error in <unknown>
> >

> > --
> >><><><><><><>
> > Send Replies to:
> > alv@ieee.org
> > <><><><><><><>

Shane

Try Sysclean: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
It's much larger but far superior to Stinger (which hasn't been updated
since early May!). Sysclean detects about 2000 times more
viruses than Stinger. The only advantage of Stinger is it's size, whereas
Sysclean requires the full Trend Micro defs file (approx. 10MB these days!).
Just beware to remove the check from Automatically clean etc.

Shane

> CWShredder found nothing.
>
> This is a sticky wicket!
>
> I'll try AdAware SE Personal Edition next.
>
> -a
> --
>><><><><><><>
> Send Replies to:
> alv@ieee.org
> <><><><><><><>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> This still looks like a malware infection....(and you've still only given
> me
>> partial dat, when I asked for FULL, EXACT messages!)
>>

>> are you sure that the error is " linker error #LNC2001", rather than "
>> linker error #LNK2001"???
>>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/lnk2001.asp
>>
>> Your 0E error (note the difference - there's no such thing as a OE
> error) -
>> this may be worth following
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287723
>>
>> Quickbooks is a PITA - sort the other things out first.
>>
>> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>>
>> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
>> viruses are not present on your PC
>> http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
>>
>> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>>
>> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
>> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
>> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>>
>> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
>> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
>> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>>
>> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
>> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
>> your system.
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Albumen" <albumen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Update!
>> >
>> > Here are the error messages I promised to post:
>> >
>> > Blue Screens:
>> > IExplorer: error on startup - OE0028:C731A644:BO412d23
>> > Real Player: NTKEZN01 + 000039A9 error OE:0028:C006b40B401
>> > LookoutExpress: 0E:0028:C731A44
>> >
>> > Modal Dialogs:
>> > On startup: MS Developer - linker error #LNC2001 - missing function
>> > body
>> > IExplorer: crash - error in <unknown>
>> > RealPlayer - has caused an error in MP3FFORMAT.DLL
>> > (outlook exp)MSIMM has caused an error in COMCTL32.DLL
>> > RealPlay has caused an error in REALPLAY.EXE
>> > (Quickbooks) QBW32 has caused an error in <unknown>
>> >

>> > --
>> > Send Replies to:
>> > alv@ieee.org
>> > <><><><><><><>

Here's my update. Looks like a bad hard disk. When I tried to re-install
windows I got about 70% through and it would quit with a SUWIN error - which
I'm told is a hardware failure. I took it into the shop and they found
errors on every sector of the disk they checked. After about 1 hour of
checking they declared the hard disk bad - and so we reinstalled WinMe on a
new disk.

I've since gone back and checked again for virus with the tools previously
mentioned - and could not find anything.

The only residual after effect is sometime during the process I lost both
MSPAINT and NOTEPAD. Now I'm scrambling trying to find a 16 bit version to
use.

-a

--
><><><><><><>
Send Replies to:
alv@ieee.org
<><><><><><><>
> Hi All,
>
> I have misplaced my original WIN Me upgrade disk and am experiencing
> minor system degradation (also got the blue screen message to re-install
> Windows Me). My original system had too small a hard disk to run System
> Restore - so I don't have the ability to go back to previous version. I
> also neglected to turn on system restore after I upgraded my hardisk.
>
> After some research I learned that I can do a parallel installation
that
> likely will repair my problem(s). What I plan on doing is purchasing
another
> Windows Me disk to use for the parallel installation. I'm wondering if
> anyone here has experience with parallel installations?
>
> My question is: Will I be required to enter the original disk
> registration number when performing the parallel installation?
>

> Thanks in advance, you people are awesome -
>
> -Al
>
> --
> ><><><><><><>
> Send Replies to:
> alv@ieee.org
> <><><><><><><>

What was the suwin error? These are not necessarily hardware related.
For example there is a very common suwin error at around 65% which is due
to trying to reinstall Win Me over itself where Windows Media Player was
previously installed. In this case the error also mentions verx.dll.

However I'm pleased to read that you appear to have found the cause of
your problems. Both MSPaint and Notepad are installed as part of a
default Win Me install. You can extract new copies from the Win Me cab
files. Notepad.exe and MSPaint.exe are both located in WIN_17.CAB. See
MS KB129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com