windows ME updates

After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not update file
from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?
14 answers Last reply
More about windows updates

    The %1 to %2 glitch is usually caused by a bad WININIT.INI when you reboot.
    Delete it and try again.

    "Els" <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
    > rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not update
    > file
    > from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?

    > Are my updates working?

    No. Nor is much else.

    The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is often but
    not exclusively the result of having Symantec's LiveUpdate installed.

    First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
    file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
    wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
    to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
    KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
    %1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).

    If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
    the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
    limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
    using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
    file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
    _RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
    have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
    problem. Delete the folder as follows:
    a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
    when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
    without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
    available.
    b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

    ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
    and then
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

    c) Remove the floppy
    d) Reboot your PC

    Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
    been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
    install/update will need to be repeated.

    e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
    Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
    your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
    for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
    although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
    large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
    > rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not
    > update file from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?

    Thank you Mike - I did as you said - I booted from the floppy but the only
    files showing were the dos *.exe files - no directories - this is so odd.
    Is there another way to get rid of the restore folder? Being a Gateway
    computer -could that be the problem?

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > > Are my updates working?
    >
    > No. Nor is much else.
    >
    > The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is often but
    > not exclusively the result of having Symantec's LiveUpdate installed.
    >
    > First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
    > file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
    > wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
    > to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
    > KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
    > %1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).
    >
    > If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
    > the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
    > limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
    > using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
    > file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
    > _RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
    > have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
    > problem. Delete the folder as follows:
    > a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
    > when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
    > without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
    > available.
    > b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:
    >
    > ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
    > and then
    > REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
    >
    > c) Remove the floppy
    > d) Reboot your PC
    >
    > Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
    > been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
    > install/update will need to be repeated.
    >
    > e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    > f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    > g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
    > Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
    > your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
    > for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
    > although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
    > large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
    > > rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not
    > > update file from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?

    Try looking in C: (the hard drive) instead of A: (the floppy drive)...
    if you're already doing that give D: a shot.

    Rick

    Els wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >>e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    >>f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    >>g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
    >>Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
    >>your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
    >>for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
    >>although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
    >>large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
    >>--
    >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >>mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >>

    >>Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
    >>>rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not
    >>>update file from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?

    I was looking in the c: drive - that's why I thought it was so strange - I'll
    keep trying

    Jerry <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

    > The %1 to %2 glitch is usually caused by a bad WININIT.INI when you
    > reboot. Delete it and try again.

    Jerry, that is very rarely the cause of this problem when running Win Me.
    Deleting a wininit.ini when making a software or hardware install is going
    to lead to a damaged and incomplete installation.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    First you need to look at your C: drive and secondly you won't see the
    _RESTORE folder using DIR as it is a hidden system folder until after
    you've used the ATTRIB command.

    May I suggest you repeat the procedure but this time be sure to type the
    two DOS commands exactly as in my earlier e-mail.

    Best of luck.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thank you Mike - I did as you said - I booted from the floppy but the
    > only files showing were the dos *.exe files - no directories - this
    > is so odd. Is there another way to get rid of the restore folder?
    > Being a Gateway computer -could that be the problem?

    I typed it exactly -"file not found" - when waiting after booting from the
    floppy - one of the screen statements states that the computer does not
    contain a valid Fat or FAT32 partition - I do appreciate your help.

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > First you need to look at your C: drive and secondly you won't see the
    > _RESTORE folder using DIR as it is a hidden system folder until after
    > you've used the ATTRIB command.
    >
    > May I suggest you repeat the procedure but this time be sure to type the
    > two DOS commands exactly as in my earlier e-mail.
    >
    > Best of luck.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you Mike - I did as you said - I booted from the floppy but the
    > > only files showing were the dos *.exe files - no directories - this
    > > is so odd. Is there another way to get rid of the restore folder?
    > > Being a Gateway computer -could that be the problem?

    I suspect you are running GoBack! in which case you need to follow the on
    screen instructions to successfully boot to DOS.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I typed it exactly -"file not found" - when waiting after booting
    > from the floppy - one of the screen statements states that the
    > computer does not contain a valid Fat or FAT32 partition - I do
    > appreciate your help.

    I am running goback -I do not understand your last instructions - It seems
    that when I boot to dos that my "c" drive is not there - I do
    appriate your help

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > I suspect you are running GoBack! in which case you need to follow the on
    > screen instructions to successfully boot to DOS.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I typed it exactly -"file not found" - when waiting after booting
    > > from the floppy - one of the screen statements states that the
    > > computer does not contain a valid Fat or FAT32 partition - I do
    > > appreciate your help.

    GoBack is 1000% incompatible with System Restore and having had both
    enabled together with quite probably having Symantec's system destroying
    LiveUpdate installed has managed to totally trash your system. Read the
    documentation you have about GoBack and use that to boot to a C:\ DOS
    prompt after which follow my instructions on how to rename the _RESTORE
    folder, boot back into Win Me and then finally either permanently kill
    system restore or dump GoBack.

    One idea though, why not use GoBack and roll your system back to before
    your problems began, boot to Win Me and disable system restore. This
    should then clear the C:\_RESTORE archive after which you should be able
    to make the install which caused you problems.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I am running goback -I do not understand your last instructions - It
    > seems that when I boot to dos that my "c" drive is not there
    > - I do appriate your help

    Thank you Mike - I disabled system restore and deleted the folder - I am not
    sure which to get rid of but I'll think about it -again thank you for all
    your help. Els

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > GoBack is 1000% incompatible with System Restore and having had both
    > enabled together with quite probably having Symantec's system destroying
    > LiveUpdate installed has managed to totally trash your system. Read the
    > documentation you have about GoBack and use that to boot to a C:\ DOS
    > prompt after which follow my instructions on how to rename the _RESTORE
    > folder, boot back into Win Me and then finally either permanently kill
    > system restore or dump GoBack.
    >
    > One idea though, why not use GoBack and roll your system back to before
    > your problems began, boot to Win Me and disable system restore. This
    > should then clear the C:\_RESTORE archive after which you should be able
    > to make the install which caused you problems.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am running goback -I do not understand your last instructions - It
    > > seems that when I boot to dos that my "c" drive is not there
    > > - I do appriate your help

    Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to read you've got your system
    back running and cleared the restore archive. Just one small point to
    remember, you'll possibly need to reinstall whichever update or patch you
    were in the middle of installing when you hit the %1 %2 problem as it may
    not have completed correctly. Don't rely on the Windows Update site in
    this case but download and use the free Belarc Advisor
    (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in identify
    which patches need to be reinstalled.

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thank you Mike - I disabled system restore and deleted the folder - I
    > am not sure which to get rid of but I'll think about it -again thank
    > you for all your help. Els

    I have that downloaded on my machine and will check it - thanks :-)

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to read you've got your system
    > back running and cleared the restore archive. Just one small point to
    > remember, you'll possibly need to reinstall whichever update or patch you
    > were in the middle of installing when you hit the %1 %2 problem as it may
    > not have completed correctly. Don't rely on the Windows Update site in
    > this case but download and use the free Belarc Advisor
    > (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in identify
    > which patches need to be reinstalled.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you Mike - I disabled system restore and deleted the folder - I
    > > am not sure which to get rid of but I'll think about it -again thank
    > > you for all your help. Els

Windows Me Computers Microsoft Windows