windows ME updates

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 18, 2005 4:59:04 PM

After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not update file
from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?

More about : windows updates

July 18, 2005 5:10:25 PM

The %1 to %2 glitch is usually caused by a bad WININIT.INI when you reboot.
Delete it and try again.

"Els" <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
> rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not update
> file
> from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:12:59 AM

> Are my updates working?

No. Nor is much else.

The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is often but
not exclusively the result of having Symantec's LiveUpdate installed.

First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
%1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).

If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
_RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
problem. Delete the folder as follows:
a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
available.
b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
and then
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

c) Remove the floppy
d) Reboot your PC

Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
install/update will need to be repeated.

e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
> rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not
> update file from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?
July 19, 2005 1:13:00 AM

Thank you Mike - I did as you said - I booted from the floppy but the only
files showing were the dos *.exe files - no directories - this is so odd.
Is there another way to get rid of the restore folder? Being a Gateway
computer -could that be the problem?

"Mike M" wrote:

> > Are my updates working?
>
> No. Nor is much else.
>
> The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is often but
> not exclusively the result of having Symantec's LiveUpdate installed.
>
> First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
> file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
> wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
> to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
> KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
> %1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).
>
> If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
> the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
> limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
> using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
> file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
> _RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
> have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
> problem. Delete the folder as follows:
> a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
> when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
> without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
> available.
> b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:
>
> ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
> and then
> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
>
> c) Remove the floppy
> d) Reboot your PC
>
> Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
> been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
> install/update will need to be repeated.
>
> e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
> f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
> g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
> Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
> your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
> for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
> although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
> large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
> > rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not
> > update file from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:13:01 AM

Try looking in C: (the hard drive) instead of A: (the floppy drive)...
if you're already doing that give D: a shot.

Rick

Els wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
>>f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
>>g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
>>Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
>>your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
>>for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
>>although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
>>large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
>>--
>>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>>mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>>Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>>After downloading the updates from microsoft and the computer has been
>>>rebooted, I get several messages stating that windows could not
>>>update file from 1% to 2% or vice versa. Are my updates working?

July 19, 2005 1:13:02 AM

I was looking in the c: drive - that's why I thought it was so strange - I'll
keep trying

"Rick T" wrote:

> Try looking in C: (the hard drive) instead of A: (the floppy drive)...
> if you're already doing that give D: a shot.
>

> Rick
>

> Els wrote:
> > Thank you Mike - I did as you said - I booted from the floppy but the only
> > files showing were the dos *.exe files - no directories - this is so odd.
> > Is there another way to get rid of the restore folder? Being a Gateway
> > computer -could that be the problem?

> >>No. Nor is much else.
> >>
> >>The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is often but
> >>not exclusively the result of having Symantec's LiveUpdate installed.
> >>
> >>First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
> >>file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
> >>wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
> >>to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
> >>KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
> >>%1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).
> >>
> >>If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
> >>the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
> >>limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
> >>using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
> >>file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
> >>_RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
> >>have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
> >>problem. Delete the folder as follows:
> >>a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
> >>when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
> >>without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
> >>available.
> >>b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:
> >>
> >>ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
> >>and then
> >>REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
> >>
> >>c) Remove the floppy
> >>d) Reboot your PC
> >>
> >>Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
> >>been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
> >>install/update will need to be repeated.
> >>
> >>e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
> >>f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
> >>g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
> >>Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
> >>your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
> >>for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
> >>although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
> >>large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
> >>--
> >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:24:33 AM

Jerry <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

> The %1 to %2 glitch is usually caused by a bad WININIT.INI when you
> reboot. Delete it and try again.

Jerry, that is very rarely the cause of this problem when running Win Me.
Deleting a wininit.ini when making a software or hardware install is going
to lead to a damaged and incomplete installation.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

First you need to look at your C: drive and secondly you won't see the
_RESTORE folder using DIR as it is a hidden system folder until after
you've used the ATTRIB command.

May I suggest you repeat the procedure but this time be sure to type the
two DOS commands exactly as in my earlier e-mail.

Best of luck.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you Mike - I did as you said - I booted from the floppy but the
> only files showing were the dos *.exe files - no directories - this
> is so odd. Is there another way to get rid of the restore folder?
> Being a Gateway computer -could that be the problem?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:15:26 AM

I typed it exactly -"file not found" - when waiting after booting from the
floppy - one of the screen statements states that the computer does not
contain a valid Fat or FAT32 partition - I do appreciate your help.

"Mike M" wrote:

> First you need to look at your C: drive and secondly you won't see the
> _RESTORE folder using DIR as it is a hidden system folder until after
> you've used the ATTRIB command.
>
> May I suggest you repeat the procedure but this time be sure to type the
> two DOS commands exactly as in my earlier e-mail.
>
> Best of luck.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Mike - I did as you said - I booted from the floppy but the
> > only files showing were the dos *.exe files - no directories - this
> > is so odd. Is there another way to get rid of the restore folder?
> > Being a Gateway computer -could that be the problem?

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:31:57 AM

I suspect you are running GoBack! in which case you need to follow the on
screen instructions to successfully boot to DOS.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I typed it exactly -"file not found" - when waiting after booting
> from the floppy - one of the screen statements states that the
> computer does not contain a valid Fat or FAT32 partition - I do
> appreciate your help.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:03:03 AM

I am running goback -I do not understand your last instructions - It seems
that when I boot to dos that my "c" drive is not there - I do
appriate your help

"Mike M" wrote:

> I suspect you are running GoBack! in which case you need to follow the on
> screen instructions to successfully boot to DOS.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I typed it exactly -"file not found" - when waiting after booting
> > from the floppy - one of the screen statements states that the
> > computer does not contain a valid Fat or FAT32 partition - I do
> > appreciate your help.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:22:39 PM

GoBack is 1000% incompatible with System Restore and having had both
enabled together with quite probably having Symantec's system destroying
LiveUpdate installed has managed to totally trash your system. Read the
documentation you have about GoBack and use that to boot to a C:\ DOS
prompt after which follow my instructions on how to rename the _RESTORE
folder, boot back into Win Me and then finally either permanently kill
system restore or dump GoBack.

One idea though, why not use GoBack and roll your system back to before
your problems began, boot to Win Me and disable system restore. This
should then clear the C:\_RESTORE archive after which you should be able
to make the install which caused you problems.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am running goback -I do not understand your last instructions - It
> seems that when I boot to dos that my "c" drive is not there
> - I do appriate your help
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:22:40 PM

Thank you Mike - I disabled system restore and deleted the folder - I am not
sure which to get rid of but I'll think about it -again thank you for all
your help. Els

"Mike M" wrote:

> GoBack is 1000% incompatible with System Restore and having had both
> enabled together with quite probably having Symantec's system destroying
> LiveUpdate installed has managed to totally trash your system. Read the
> documentation you have about GoBack and use that to boot to a C:\ DOS
> prompt after which follow my instructions on how to rename the _RESTORE
> folder, boot back into Win Me and then finally either permanently kill
> system restore or dump GoBack.
>
> One idea though, why not use GoBack and roll your system back to before
> your problems began, boot to Win Me and disable system restore. This
> should then clear the C:\_RESTORE archive after which you should be able
> to make the install which caused you problems.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am running goback -I do not understand your last instructions - It
> > seems that when I boot to dos that my "c" drive is not there
> > - I do appriate your help

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:59:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to read you've got your system
back running and cleared the restore archive. Just one small point to
remember, you'll possibly need to reinstall whichever update or patch you
were in the middle of installing when you hit the %1 %2 problem as it may
not have completed correctly. Don't rely on the Windows Update site in
this case but download and use the free Belarc Advisor
(http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in identify
which patches need to be reinstalled.

Cheers,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Els <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you Mike - I disabled system restore and deleted the folder - I
> am not sure which to get rid of but I'll think about it -again thank
> you for all your help. Els
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:59:09 PM

I have that downloaded on my machine and will check it - thanks :-)

!