Error in Config.sys Win98

When I boot up the following appears:
"The following command in your Config.sys is incorrect:
High.UMB
There is an error in your Config.sys file on Line 4
There is an unrecognized command in your Config.sys file
There is an error in your config.sys
Line 2"
Following is a copy of my Config.System:
Rem TShoot:
divice=c:\windows\himem.sys
Rem TShoot:
dos=high.umb
Rem TShoot: REM [Header]
REM (Header)

REM [CD-ROM Drive]
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe

Would appreciate if someone can help. Don't know what caused this as I
don't usually go into any of the tech files.

Thanks
Ellen55
7 answers Last reply
More about error config win98

    Ellen,

    Line 2 has a misspelling - should be device=c:\windows\himem.sys (you have
    divice)

    Line 4 has wrong punctuation - should be dos=high,umb (with comma not
    period between the two) (not high.umb)
    "Ellen55" <Ellen55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot up the following appears:
    > "The following command in your Config.sys is incorrect:
    > High.UMB
    > There is an error in your Config.sys file on Line 4
    > There is an unrecognized command in your Config.sys file
    > There is an error in your config.sys
    > Line 2"
    > Following is a copy of my Config.System:
    > Rem TShoot:
    > divice=c:\windows\himem.sys
    > Rem TShoot:
    > dos=high.umb
    > Rem TShoot: REM [Header]
    > REM (Header)
    >

    > REM [CD-ROM Drive]
    > REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
    >
    > REM [Miscellaneous]
    >
    > REM [Display]
    >
    > DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
    >
    > Would appreciate if someone can help. Don't know what caused this as I
    > don't usually go into any of the tech files.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ellen55

    Apart from the fact this is a Win ME group, device is spelt with an 'e' not
    an 'i' so the line should be:

    device=c:\windows\himem.sys

    Also the dos= line should be:

    dos=high,umb

    that is, a comma not a period seperating high and umb. Change these two
    lines and it ought to be ok, but you need to know how they got changed in
    the first place.

    Shane

    Ellen55 wrote:
    > When I boot up the following appears:
    > "The following command in your Config.sys is incorrect:
    > High.UMB
    > There is an error in your Config.sys file on Line 4
    > There is an unrecognized command in your Config.sys file
    > There is an error in your config.sys
    > Line 2"
    > Following is a copy of my Config.System:
    > Rem TShoot:
    > divice=c:\windows\himem.sys
    > Rem TShoot:
    > dos=high.umb
    > Rem TShoot: REM [Header]
    > REM (Header)
    >

    > REM [CD-ROM Drive]
    > REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
    >
    > REM [Miscellaneous]
    >
    > REM [Display]
    >
    > DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
    >
    > Would appreciate if someone can help. Don't know what caused this as
    > I don't usually go into any of the tech files.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ellen55

    Shane -
    'Device=C:\windows\setver.exe'?????
    does that sound right to you?
    I don't recall ever having that line in any config.sys on a system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Apart from the fact this is a Win ME group, device is spelt with an 'e'
    > not
    > an 'i' so the line should be:
    >
    > device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >
    > Also the dos= line should be:
    >
    > dos=high,umb
    >
    > that is, a comma not a period seperating high and umb. Change these two
    > lines and it ought to be ok, but you need to know how they got changed in
    > the first place.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > Ellen55 wrote:
    >> When I boot up the following appears:
    >> "The following command in your Config.sys is incorrect:
    >> High.UMB
    >> There is an error in your Config.sys file on Line 4
    >> There is an unrecognized command in your Config.sys file
    >> There is an error in your config.sys
    >> Line 2"
    >> Following is a copy of my Config.System:
    >> Rem TShoot:
    >> divice=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >> Rem TShoot:
    >> dos=high.umb
    >> Rem TShoot: REM [Header]
    >> REM (Header)
    >>

    >> REM [CD-ROM Drive]
    >> REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
    >>
    >> REM [Miscellaneous]
    >>
    >> REM [Display]
    >>
    >> DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
    >>
    >> Would appreciate if someone can help. Don't know what caused this as
    >> I don't usually go into any of the tech files.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ellen55

    Thank you so much Shane. Made those two changes and it is fine now. Don't
    know how they got changed. I do not mess around with the inner workings of
    the computer. Maybe a little virus???
    Again, thanks.

    "Shane" wrote:

    > Apart from the fact this is a Win ME group, device is spelt with an 'e' not
    > an 'i' so the line should be:
    >
    > device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >
    > Also the dos= line should be:
    >
    > dos=high,umb
    >
    > that is, a comma not a period seperating high and umb. Change these two
    > lines and it ought to be ok, but you need to know how they got changed in
    > the first place.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > Ellen55 wrote:
    > > When I boot up the following appears:
    > > "The following command in your Config.sys is incorrect:
    > > High.UMB
    > > There is an error in your Config.sys file on Line 4
    > > There is an unrecognized command in your Config.sys file
    > > There is an error in your config.sys
    > > Line 2"
    > > Following is a copy of my Config.System:
    > > Rem TShoot:
    > > divice=c:\windows\himem.sys
    > > Rem TShoot:
    > > dos=high.umb
    > > Rem TShoot: REM [Header]
    > > REM (Header)
    > >

    > > REM [CD-ROM Drive]
    > > REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
    > >
    > > REM [Miscellaneous]
    > >
    > > REM [Display]
    > >
    > > DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
    > >
    > > Would appreciate if someone can help. Don't know what caused this as
    > > I don't usually go into any of the tech files.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Ellen55

    I've got it in my 98se config.sys, Noel (ie I've deleted 98se again but
    still have the config file backups). I don't know that it's actually
    necessary other than for manually running setver, but clearly it must be
    loaded in order to do so and I left it in case I wanted to. I don't believe
    it uses enough memory to worry about, but it could be commented out without
    being a problem, too. Though I'd possibly make loading it a submenu option,
    I s'pose.

    Shane

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > Shane -
    > 'Device=C:\windows\setver.exe'?????
    > does that sound right to you?
    > I don't recall ever having that line in any config.sys on a system.
    >

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Apart from the fact this is a Win ME group, device is spelt with an
    >> 'e' not
    >> an 'i' so the line should be:
    >>
    >> device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >>
    >> Also the dos= line should be:
    >>
    >> dos=high,umb
    >>
    >> that is, a comma not a period seperating high and umb. Change these
    >> two lines and it ought to be ok, but you need to know how they got
    >> changed in the first place.
    >>

    >> Shane
    >>

    >> Ellen55 wrote:
    >>> When I boot up the following appears:
    >>> "The following command in your Config.sys is incorrect:
    >>> High.UMB
    >>> There is an error in your Config.sys file on Line 4
    >>> There is an unrecognized command in your Config.sys file
    >>> There is an error in your config.sys
    >>> Line 2"
    >>> Following is a copy of my Config.System:
    >>> Rem TShoot:
    >>> divice=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >>> Rem TShoot:
    >>> dos=high.umb
    >>> Rem TShoot: REM [Header]
    >>> REM (Header)
    >>>

    >>> REM [CD-ROM Drive]
    >>> REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
    >>>
    >>> REM [Miscellaneous]
    >>>
    >>> REM [Display]
    >>>
    >>> DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
    >>>
    >>> Would appreciate if someone can help. Don't know what caused this
    >>> as I don't usually go into any of the tech files.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Ellen55

    Actually, I take back the 'clearly it must be loaded'. I was thinking it was
    Setver.sys!!! I do, however, recall typing a Setver command once and getting
    the message to the effect that Setver wasn't loaded. Jeez, it's such a long
    time ago now tho', so many brain cells past!

    Shane

    Shane wrote:
    > I've got it in my 98se config.sys, Noel (ie I've deleted 98se again
    > but still have the config file backups). I don't know that it's
    > actually necessary other than for manually running setver, but
    > clearly it must be loaded in order to do so and I left it in case I
    > wanted to. I don't believe it uses enough memory to worry about, but
    > it could be commented out without being a problem, too. Though I'd
    > possibly make loading it a submenu option, I s'pose.
    >
    > Shane
    >

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> Shane -
    >> 'Device=C:\windows\setver.exe'?????
    >> does that sound right to you?
    >> I don't recall ever having that line in any config.sys on a system.
    >>

    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Apart from the fact this is a Win ME group, device is spelt with an
    >>> 'e' not
    >>> an 'i' so the line should be:
    >>>
    >>> device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >>>
    >>> Also the dos= line should be:
    >>>
    >>> dos=high,umb
    >>>
    >>> that is, a comma not a period seperating high and umb. Change these
    >>> two lines and it ought to be ok, but you need to know how they got
    >>> changed in the first place.
    >>>

    >>> Shane

    You're welcome, Ellen, glad it's sorted.

    As to a virus I wouldn't think so unless it was the first effort experiment
    of a very local writer. I incline to thinking someone has been playing about
    on your machine who i). doesn't know how to spell 'device' and ii). doesn't
    know the basic syntax of the config.sys file, which means, essentially, a
    beginner. I wouldn't necessarily be looking for a child, but someone
    learning computing who is enthusiastic and either fancies themselves as a
    future programmer or likes to know how things work. That's probably not much
    help but someone with physical access to your computer seems most likely to
    me.

    Shane

    Ellen55 wrote:
    > Thank you so much Shane. Made those two changes and it is fine now.
    > Don't know how they got changed. I do not mess around with the inner
    > workings of the computer. Maybe a little virus???
    > Again, thanks.

    > "Shane" wrote:
    >
    >> Apart from the fact this is a Win ME group, device is spelt with an
    >> 'e' not an 'i' so the line should be:
    >>
    >> device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >>
    >> Also the dos= line should be:
    >>
    >> dos=high,umb
    >>
    >> that is, a comma not a period seperating high and umb. Change these
    >> two lines and it ought to be ok, but you need to know how they got
    >> changed in the first place.
    >>

    >> Shane
    >>

    >> Ellen55 wrote:
    >>> When I boot up the following appears:
    >>> "The following command in your Config.sys is incorrect:
    >>> High.UMB
    >>> There is an error in your Config.sys file on Line 4
    >>> There is an unrecognized command in your Config.sys file
    >>> There is an error in your config.sys
    >>> Line 2"
    >>> Following is a copy of my Config.System:
    >>> Rem TShoot:
    >>> divice=c:\windows\himem.sys
    >>> Rem TShoot:
    >>> dos=high.umb
    >>> Rem TShoot: REM [Header]
    >>> REM (Header)
    >>>

    >>> REM [CD-ROM Drive]
    >>> REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
    >>>
    >>> REM [Miscellaneous]
    >>>
    >>> REM [Display]
    >>>
    >>> DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
    >>>
    >>> Would appreciate if someone can help. Don't know what caused this
    >>> as I don't usually go into any of the tech files.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Ellen55

Configuration Command Prompt Windows