At a friend's house

I brought my Dell laptop (Windows XP) with Siemen Wireless PCMCIA card to a
friend's house. He had DSL Verizon service with a gateway which provided
ethernet and wireless. The connection through ethernet worked fine (internet)
but I could not get a wireless connection. I also could not get the wireless
icon when I selected XP Network Connections. Are there options to set or
security to deal with? Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Thanks,
fredm

Hi
May be this can Help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"fredm" <fredm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I brought my Dell laptop (Windows XP) with Siemen Wireless PCMCIA card to a
> friend's house. He had DSL Verizon service with a gateway which provided
> ethernet and wireless. The connection through ethernet worked fine (internet)
> but I could not get a wireless connection. I also could not get the wireless
> icon when I selected XP Network Connections. Are there options to set or
> security to deal with? Any suggestions on how to proceed?
> Thanks,
> fredm

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Did you scan for networks, and if so what did you see? Did you find the
network, did it show a security setting, could you see the SSID?

Does you friend use MAC address filtering?

Normally, you scan for a network, pick the one you want and click connect.
You should be presented with an option to set up a profile or something that
asks about security or something.

I don't understand the part about the wireless icon. Do you not show a
wireless connection in Network Connections whenever you have the wireless
card installed?

Clark