AT&T Shared Data Plans Arrive on August 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Yet they still charge a high recurring monthly fee ($35 - $45) just to add a smartphone, even one that you already own. I don't see the benefit to this, unless you are AT&T.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Shit like this made me leave Verizon, either snag one of the prepaid carriers with an unlocked pentaband GSM phone or stick around on Tmo or Sprint and their cheapo faux unlimited stuff.

bb33

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
AT&T: Thanks Verizon for showings us the way to get more cash out of out customers!

Verizon: No problem friend.

Sprint and T-Mo: How in the world do they have more customers than us?

AT&T: Bend over and we will show ya......

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
It's really no secret why AT&T and Verizon have more customers than Sprint and T-No....

In May I switched from Verizon to Sprint. Within 2 weeks of switching, I suddenly couldn't get a "3G" signal anywhere. I went to the local Sprint store and informed them of the issue. The "customer service" rep ran a simple diagnostic (which is built into the phone) and said "It appears to be functioning properly". A few weeks later, I went back and told him I frequently had texts fail to send....he sent 1 text to his own Sprint phone and again said "It appears to be functioning properly", but "You need to remove an security software you have installed because it prevents Android from functioning properly". So, I left, pissed off....and the issues continued. I went back 2 weeks ago....this time, I'd been dealing with a "no service" message on my phone for nearly a week. I was greeted with "Our network was damaged in last night's storm so a lot of people don't have service right now". It took me repeating myself 3 times for them to finally comprehend that my issue started nearly a week before the storm. I leave my phone with them for 90mins to "test" it. I come back and get told that it will cost $35 to replace a phone that's covered by it's manufacturer's warranty because I didn't pay for Sprint's BS "insurance" plan. So, I have a phone I can't use...a "feature" that I hadn't been able to use for 2 months (at that point) and Sprint wants to charge me (which violates the consumer protection act) to replace my phone that is under warranty.... Yeah, it's no wonder Sprint can't keep customers.... You either pay them for an insurance plan (which they profit from) or they expect to profit from warranty exchanges at the customer's expense (which, to my understanding, is illegal). My local laws say that the consumer can't be charged for the return or replacement of faulty products that are covered by a manufacturer's warranty, btw...

bb33

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
My comment was to highlight the sad state of affairs that our mobile communications is in. By that I mean that AT&T and Verizon seem to have a pricing agreement while T-Mobile and Sprint have no clue why they can not keep customers even though it is very obvious to most of us.

jdwii

Splendid
Just get boost and call it a day its not worth the prices for this crap, sure the internet is slow just get a phone with wifi and use it this way and just use your smartphone outside the house for texting/phone calls and MP3's/videos. Forget about boosts network as its dial-up speeds around 56K-120K.

Don't use your cellphone a lot for talking then get Virgin mobile for 35$ a month. I will never understand why people pay so much money for Sprint/Verision/At&t. Especially sprint since boost is the same thing except 30+% cheaper.

Get your teen a Motorola XPRT for 99$ and pay 55$ a month for a phone. No contract.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]It's really no secret why AT&T and Verizon have more customers than Sprint and T-No....In May I switched from Verizon to Sprint. Within 2 weeks of switching, I suddenly couldn't get a "3G" signal anywhere. I went to the local Sprint store and informed them of the issue. The "customer service" rep ran a simple diagnostic (which is built into the phone) and said "It appears to be functioning properly". A few weeks later, I went back and told him I frequently had texts fail to send....he sent 1 text to his own Sprint phone and again said "It appears to be functioning properly", but "You need to remove an security software you have installed because it prevents Android from functioning properly". So, I left, pissed off....and the issues continued. I went back 2 weeks ago....this time, I'd been dealing with a "no service" message on my phone for nearly a week. I was greeted with "Our network was damaged in last night's storm so a lot of people don't have service right now". It took me repeating myself 3 times for them to finally comprehend that my issue started nearly a week before the storm. I leave my phone with them for 90mins to "test" it. I come back and get told that it will cost $35 to replace a phone that's covered by it's manufacturer's warranty because I didn't pay for Sprint's BS "insurance" plan. So, I have a phone I can't use...a "feature" that I hadn't been able to use for 2 months (at that point) and Sprint wants to charge me (which violates the consumer protection act) to replace my phone that is under warranty.... Yeah, it's no wonder Sprint can't keep customers.... You either pay them for an insurance plan (which they profit from) or they expect to profit from warranty exchanges at the customer's expense (which, to my understanding, is illegal). My local laws say that the consumer can't be charged for the return or replacement of faulty products that are covered by a manufacturer's warranty, btw...[/citation]

you know, you should have tested the phone to see if you had coverage in the average places you go... to my understanding, they can give you a contract with that as a clause for 30 days of use no questions asked.

and all cell phone services suck.

[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Just get boost and call it a day its not worth the prices for this crap, sure the internet is slow just get a phone with wifi and use it this way and just use your smartphone outside the house for texting/phone calls and MP3's/videos. Forget about boosts network as its dial-up speeds around 56K-120K. Don't use your cellphone a lot for talking then get Virgin mobile for 35$ a month. I will never understand why people pay so much money for Sprint/Verision/At&t. Especially sprint since boost is the same thing except 30+% cheaper. Get your teen a Motorola XPRT for 99$ and pay 55$ a month for a phone. No contract.[/citation]

get an off contract android phone and get skype.
find a pre payed data plan that doesn't run out ever unless you use the data,
use Skype as your phone service.

if you have wi fi, unlimited calling for more or less free.
if you don't have wi fi, you get more minutes for cheaper than minutes.

win win.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]bb33[/nom]AT&T: Thanks Verizon for showings us the way to get more cash out of out customers!Verizon: No problem friend.Sprint and T-Mo: How in the world do they have more customers than us?AT&T: Bend over and we will show ya......[/citation]
Only reason Verizon and AT&T have more customers than Sprint/T-Mobile IMO is coverage area. Especially in rural areas their coverage is quite spotty. Coverage is the only thing keeping me on AT&T.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Wow I just used their estimate to find out what it would be if I switched my current plan and its a $100 more to get the same thing I have now.

4 phones total
2 smartphones with unlimited data
2 regular phones
unlimited text and I think 700 mins a month (no mins for att calls and roll over, I must have almost 4000 roll over mins)
I pay now $180

With AT&T's new shared plans I would be paying $280 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.