Antec SL350 Fan RPM?

I recently got a new SL350 powersupply under warranty (4week wait for
anyone interested) because the bottom fan in the original SL350 would
stop and cause the supply to overheat (it lasted almost 1 year to the
day). The RPM on the original PSU fan was ~1300-1500rpm at idle and it
climbed up to ~2200+rpm under load. This new supply I have idles at
~1000rpm and only goes up to ~1600+rpm underload. Oh and an
interesting fact is the rpm sensor must be in the fan that exhausts
out the back of the case because when the bottom SL350 fan stopped my
MB still reported an RPM value. I emailed Antec a month ago about the
difference between the supplies but haven't heard anything.

Any one out there have one of these supplies and can give me their
idle rpm and approx max rpm? Because of this RPM shift my MB is
reporting a 5degree C increase in case temp - with no other hardware
or software changes to the computer.

Thanks.

Jumbaliah wrote:
> I recently got a new SL350 powersupply under warranty (4week wait for
> anyone interested) because the bottom fan in the original SL350 would
> stop and cause the supply to overheat (it lasted almost 1 year to the
> day). The RPM on the original PSU fan was ~1300-1500rpm at idle and
it
> climbed up to ~2200+rpm under load. This new supply I have idles at
> ~1000rpm and only goes up to ~1600+rpm underload. Oh and an
> interesting fact is the rpm sensor must be in the fan that exhausts
> out the back of the case because when the bottom SL350 fan stopped my
> MB still reported an RPM value. I emailed Antec a month ago about
the
> difference between the supplies but haven't heard anything.
>
> Any one out there have one of these supplies and can give me their
> idle rpm and approx max rpm?

You may want to ask the user Antecrep in one of the forums at
www.overclockers.com , but my own 6-month old SL350's RPM indicator
reads only about 900 RPM at very low load (my computer draws just 60W,
average).

If your SL350 has a +12V rail rated for 21A, then it's the newer kind,
with one of its improvements being phatter high voltage transistors, 18
amps worth rather than 13A for the older version, and it also contains
an extra temperature sensing thermistor whose purpose I couldn't figure
out.

Apparently a lot of the older Antecs were made with defective
capacitors, and last year a couple of them bulged in my my 2-3 year-old
300W.