Can't Locate Faultlog.txt--Was in Windows Directory Yester..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 22, 2005 5:14:26 AM

Hello:

I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item had
been changed or moved.

I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.

It was a rather small file. Where did it go?

Thanks in advance:

-Ira
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:14:57 AM

Its normally accessed through system information > tools and
should be located in windows folder.

>Hello:
>
>I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
>I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item had
>been changed or moved.
>
>I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
>
>It was a rather small file. Where did it go?
>
>Thanks in advance:
>
>-Ira

-- Keyboard not detected
Press F1 to continue
July 22, 2005 2:08:50 PM

Check that the following registry key exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault with
a string value in the Fault key having a value data of
"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt".

Did you do anything that would have removed this value from the
registry? If you have TweakUI installed, there is a checkbox on the
Paranoia tab under Illegal Operations that enables this value when selected.

Ira wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
> I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item had
> been changed or moved.
>
> I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
>
> It was a rather small file. Where did it go?
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> -Ira

July 22, 2005 2:35:47 PM

"Ira" wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
> I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item had
> been changed or moved.
>
> I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
>
> It was a rather small file. Where did it go?

If memory serves, the fault log is only retained for a certain period of time.
Try running it from your Run > Dialog Box: "Type" > faultlog (or) faultlog.txt >
hit <enter>

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:28:41 PM

Siljaline wrote:

<<<<
Try running it from your Run > Dialog Box: "Type" > faultlog (or)
faultlog.txt >
hit <enter>

Just tried that. Windows can't locate it.. Nor can I find it via System
Info--->Tools.

When i run a search of the PC, only those shurcuts to the Recent folder show
up. Can't locate this file in Windows

-Ira

**************************
"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
| "Ira" wrote:
| > Hello:
| >
| > I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
| > I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item
had
| > been changed or moved.
| >
| > I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
| >
| > It was a rather small file. Where did it go?
|
| If memory serves, the fault log is only retained for a certain period of
time.
| Try running it from your Run > Dialog Box: "Type" > faultlog (or)
faultlog.txt >
| hit <enter>
|
| Silj
|
| --
| siljaline
|
| MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
| _________________________________________
| Security Tools Updates
| http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
|
| (Reply to group, as return address
| is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:31:30 PM

Hello Tom

At that key:

: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault

I see:

[ Default] ----value not set

Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"

I assume this is what you were referring to.

I hadn't altered the regisrty in any way.

As for TweakU, I dont have it installed AFAIK

Thanks:

-Ira

*******************************

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
| Check that the following registry key exists:
|
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault with
| a string value in the Fault key having a value data of
| "C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt".
|
| Did you do anything that would have removed this value from the
| registry? If you have TweakUI installed, there is a checkbox on the
| Paranoia tab under Illegal Operations that enables this value when
selected.

| Ira wrote:
| > Hello:
| >
| > I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
| > I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item
had
| > been changed or moved.
| >
| > I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
| >
| > It was a rather small file. Where did it go?
| >
| > Thanks in advance:
| >
| > -Ira

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:22:24 AM

Thank you Tom:

But it seems to me that I already have that registry key.

Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"

is the second item in the column to the left of that "Fault" key.

Am I mistaken in this?

-Ira

********************************

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powert...

| Look at the following KB article regarding enabling fault logging in
| Windows 95. I'm fairly certain this applies to Win ME also.
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269531
|
| Tom
|
| Ira wrote:
| > Hello Tom
| >
| > At that key:
| >
| > : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault
| >
| > I see:
| >
| > [ Default] ----value not set
| >
| > Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"
| >
| > I assume this is what you were referring to.
| >
| > I hadn't altered the regisrty in any way.
| >
| > As for TweakU, I dont have it installed AFAIK
| >
| > Thanks:
| >
| > -Ira

July 23, 2005 5:22:25 AM

Ira,

No, I missed that in your post. Other than a missing registry entry, I
have no explanation for the file no longer being on your system. Is
there some specific information that you wanted that was contained in
the file?

Tom

Ira wrote:
> Thank you Tom:
>
> But it seems to me that I already have that registry key.
>
> Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"
>
> is the second item in the column to the left of that "Fault" key.
>
> Am I mistaken in this?
>
> -Ira
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:05:40 AM

Tom wrote:

" Is
there some specific information that you wanted that was contained in
the file?"

Not specifically in that file. Actually, it had told me nothing about a
particular PC crash which was the reason I had looked at the file a few days
ago in the first place. I had noticed that it covered only about a week's
worth of "faultlogging"

Just concerned that the fault logging process had for some reason been
disrupted/damaged.

Guess I'll find out when some error which is in its purview should befall my
PC again.

Thanks again for your helpfulness:

-Ira

*****************************

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o $QyHj0jFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Ira,
|
| No, I missed that in your post. Other than a missing registry entry, I
| have no explanation for the file no longer being on your system. Is
| there some specific information that you wanted that was contained in
| the file?
|
| Tom
|
| Ira wrote:
| > Thank you Tom:
| >
| > But it seems to me that I already have that registry key.
| >
| > Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"
| >
| > is the second item in the column to the left of that "Fault" key.
| >
| > Am I mistaken in this?
| >
| > -Ira
July 23, 2005 6:05:41 AM

You're welcome. Good luck.