Can't Locate Faultlog.txt--Was in Windows Directory Yester..

Hello:

I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item had
been changed or moved.

I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.

It was a rather small file. Where did it go?

Thanks in advance:

-Ira
9 answers Last reply
More about locate faultlog windows directory yester

    Its normally accessed through system information > tools and
    should be located in windows folder.

    >Hello:
    >
    >I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
    >I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item had
    >been changed or moved.
    >
    >I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
    >
    >It was a rather small file. Where did it go?
    >
    >Thanks in advance:
    >
    >-Ira

    -- Keyboard not detected
    Press F1 to continue

    Check that the following registry key exists:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault with
    a string value in the Fault key having a value data of
    "C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt".

    Did you do anything that would have removed this value from the
    registry? If you have TweakUI installed, there is a checkbox on the
    Paranoia tab under Illegal Operations that enables this value when selected.

    "Ira" wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
    > I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item had
    > been changed or moved.
    >
    > I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
    >
    > It was a rather small file. Where did it go?

    If memory serves, the fault log is only retained for a certain period of time.
    Try running it from your Run > Dialog Box: "Type" > faultlog (or) faultlog.txt >
    hit <enter>

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Siljaline wrote:

    <<<<
    Try running it from your Run > Dialog Box: "Type" > faultlog (or)
    faultlog.txt >
    hit <enter>

    Just tried that. Windows can't locate it.. Nor can I find it via System
    Info--->Tools.

    When i run a search of the PC, only those shurcuts to the Recent folder show
    up. Can't locate this file in Windows

    -Ira

    **************************
    "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | "Ira" wrote:
    | > Hello:
    | >
    | > I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
    | > I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item
    had
    | > been changed or moved.
    | >
    | > I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
    | >
    | > It was a rather small file. Where did it go?
    |
    | If memory serves, the fault log is only retained for a certain period of
    time.
    | Try running it from your Run > Dialog Box: "Type" > faultlog (or)
    faultlog.txt >
    | hit <enter>
    |
    | Silj
    |
    | --
    | siljaline
    |
    | MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    | _________________________________________
    | Security Tools Updates
    | http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    |
    | (Reply to group, as return address
    | is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Hello Tom

    At that key:

    : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault

    I see:

    [ Default] ----value not set

    Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"

    I assume this is what you were referring to.

    I hadn't altered the regisrty in any way.

    As for TweakU, I dont have it installed AFAIK

    Thanks:

    -Ira

    *******************************

    "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
    | Check that the following registry key exists:
    |
    | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault with
    | a string value in the Fault key having a value data of
    | "C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt".
    |
    | Did you do anything that would have removed this value from the
    | registry? If you have TweakUI installed, there is a checkbox on the
    | Paranoia tab under Illegal Operations that enables this value when
    selected.

    | Ira wrote:
    | > Hello:
    | >
    | > I can't seem to locate the Faultlog.txt file.
    | > I do see two shortcuts to it in Windows\Recent, but I'm told that item
    had
    | > been changed or moved.
    | >
    | > I only read the file yesterday, but I hadn't altered or deleted it.
    | >
    | > It was a rather small file. Where did it go?
    | >
    | > Thanks in advance:
    | >
    | > -Ira

    Thank you Tom:

    But it seems to me that I already have that registry key.

    Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"

    is the second item in the column to the left of that "Fault" key.

    Am I mistaken in this?

    -Ira

    ********************************

    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp

    | Look at the following KB article regarding enabling fault logging in
    | Windows 95. I'm fairly certain this applies to Win ME also.
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269531
    |
    | Tom
    |
    | Ira wrote:
    | > Hello Tom
    | >
    | > At that key:
    | >
    | > : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault
    | >
    | > I see:
    | >
    | > [ Default] ----value not set
    | >
    | > Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"
    | >
    | > I assume this is what you were referring to.
    | >
    | > I hadn't altered the regisrty in any way.
    | >
    | > As for TweakU, I dont have it installed AFAIK
    | >
    | > Thanks:
    | >
    | > -Ira

    Ira,

    No, I missed that in your post. Other than a missing registry entry, I
    have no explanation for the file no longer being on your system. Is
    there some specific information that you wanted that was contained in
    the file?

    Tom

    Tom wrote:

    " Is
    there some specific information that you wanted that was contained in
    the file?"

    Not specifically in that file. Actually, it had told me nothing about a
    particular PC crash which was the reason I had looked at the file a few days
    ago in the first place. I had noticed that it covered only about a week's
    worth of "faultlogging"

    Just concerned that the fault logging process had for some reason been
    disrupted/damaged.

    Guess I'll find out when some error which is in its purview should befall my
    PC again.

    Thanks again for your helpfulness:

    -Ira

    *****************************

    | Ira,
    |
    | No, I missed that in your post. Other than a missing registry entry, I
    | have no explanation for the file no longer being on your system. Is
    | there some specific information that you wanted that was contained in
    | the file?
    |
    | Tom
    |
    | Ira wrote:
    | > Thank you Tom:
    | >
    | > But it seems to me that I already have that registry key.
    | >
    | > Log File----"C:\Windows\Faultlog.txt"
    | >
    | > is the second item in the column to the left of that "Fault" key.
    | >
    | > Am I mistaken in this?
    | >
    | > -Ira

    You're welcome. Good luck.

    Ira wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    >
    > " Is
    > there some specific information that you wanted that was contained in
    > the file?"
    >
    > Not specifically in that file. Actually, it had told me nothing about a
    > particular PC crash which was the reason I had looked at the file a few days
    > ago in the first place. I had noticed that it covered only about a week's
    > worth of "faultlogging"
    >
    > Just concerned that the fault logging process had for some reason been
    > disrupted/damaged.
    >
    > Guess I'll find out when some error which is in its purview should befall my
    > PC again.
    >
    > Thanks again for your helpfulness:
    >
    > -Ira

Microsoft Windows