Need help with DOS disk imaging.

I need to copy an image of a DOS-based disk drive to a newer drive. The
old drive has a proprietary application that can not be reinstalled
(maker went out of business and the software is critical to keep
intact). I basically want to just copy all files over to the new drive
and swap it for the old one. Can I use Xcopy? Or should I use something
like DriveImage? Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)yahoo(dot)com
5 answers Last reply

    PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 works great for that.
    Just slave the new drive, and dupe the old one to the
    new one. PowerQuest is out of business, but their
    stuff is still available around the web .. Cheap.

    johns

    Go on eBay and buy a copy of Ghost 2003 or Norton Systemworks 2003 (with
    Ghost included), which you should be able to get for a song. It'll do the
    job.

    "Pat Blank" <use_email@in.sig> wrote in message
    >I need to copy an image of a DOS-based disk drive to a newer drive. The
    > old drive has a proprietary application that can not be reinstalled
    > (maker went out of business and the software is critical to keep
    > intact). I basically want to just copy all files over to the new drive
    > and swap it for the old one. Can I use Xcopy? Or should I use something
    > like DriveImage? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)yahoo(dot)com

    Should work, as long as there is the whole OS on the disk and it's
    bootable..

    Norton Ghost 9.0/2005 (ex-DriveImage), Acronis TrueImage, TeraByte's
    BootItNG are all usable programs for that..
    Ghost isn't avalable even as a demo, TrueImage is just a demo, but BING is a
    fully functional 30day try..

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Pat Blank" <use_email@in.sig> kirjoitti viestissä

    Bob Davis wrote:

    > Go on eBay and buy a copy of Ghost 2003 or Norton Systemworks 2003 (with
    > Ghost included), which you should be able to get for a song. It'll do
    > the job.
    >

    > "Pat Blank" <use_email@in.sig> wrote in message
    >
    >> I need to copy an image of a DOS-based disk drive to a newer drive. The
    >> old drive has a proprietary application that can not be reinstalled
    >> (maker went out of business and the software is critical to keep
    >> intact). I basically want to just copy all files over to the new drive
    >> and swap it for the old one. Can I use Xcopy? Or should I use something
    >> like DriveImage? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> --
    >> pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)yahoo(dot)com

    The disk copy utility that comes with the new hard drive, or can be
    downloaded from their site if it doesn't, will be sufficient.

    DOS is the easiest to copy because there is no central 'registry', no file
    system user/group permissions, no long file names, or any of the other
    fancy features in later systems.

    Odds are you could simply copy the program folder to a new drive with DOS
    installed, keeping in mind to check for entries in autoexec.bat,
    config.sys, and if it slapped some files in the DOS folder. At any rate, an
    xcopy of the whole drive should work and then SYS the drive to get the boot.

    Pat Blank <use_email@in.sig> wrote in

    > I need to copy an image of a DOS-based disk drive to a newer drive.

    Thanks for the help and suggestions.

    --
    pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)yahoo(dot)com

Homebuilt DOS Systems