New Computer Parts.....revised.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 22, 2005 9:51:31 PM

Hi All.....

Been too darn hot to do much these days, so just getting to this now.

Willy fixed my WinME CD Writer for peanuts.....it was the ribbon IDE thing.
And he dictated the following to me and asked that I run it by you all again
as he thinks highly of your opinions.

Once we settle on whatever, he says he can build it in a couple of days. We
are still having that damn heat wave (as Rick will tell you) and it is
taking the mickey out of Ron, so I have been watching him like a hawk!! He
gets quite dizzy and weak from the humidity.

I probably don't have all the proper models and versions, etc., but the
following is what he is suggesting..........

HD - SATA 160 gig (Partition? Plus, I can use this machine for backup)

Video card - 128 meg PCI Express 9800

RAM - 512 Kingston

ASUS motherboard with integrated sound. He thought you all were right in
that I didn't need a separate sound card.

Intel 3.0 gig processor (he is not keen on AMD)

Floppy Drive

2 separate drives.....one DVD, the other DVD Writer

10 x 100 network card

G. Router - Linksys.

Does that sound all right? He suggested that I can wait till later for the
flat
panel screen....they are about $270.

Any thoughts or comments are most welcome.

Cheers.....Heather

More about : computer parts revised

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:26:23 PM

Heather wrote:

> Once we settle on whatever, he says he can build it in a couple of days. We
> are still having that damn heat wave (as Rick will tell you)

had the A/C cranked 24/7 for the last couple weeks; every couple days it
freezes up (like a fridge that needs defrosting) so I gotta run it fan
only for a couple hours then back on full blast again. Power company's
cranked the voltage down to compensate so flourescent lights take awhile
to come on.

> HD - SATA 160 gig (Partition? Plus, I can use this machine for backup)

"fluid bearings" drives are a little quieter but still new on the market.

aumha site has a half-decent partitioning schema, basically:

- partition for the OS
- partition for other programs
- partition for swap and other ephemerals (newsgroup, TEMP, IE Temp,
Downloads)
- partition for personal stuff (email, whatever)
- partition for system's stuff, utilities, driver zips
- big partition for media
- big partition for CD images

> Video card - 128 meg PCI Express 9800
>
> RAM - 512 Kingston

should make sure you still have an open slot just in case you want to
add more in a couple years.

> ASUS motherboard with integrated sound. He thought you all were right in
> that I didn't need a separate sound card.

If you've been doing alright all along without a discrete soundsystem, sure.

> Intel 3.0 gig processor (he is not keen on AMD)

not too keen on the power requirements but the more efficient processors
carry pretty big price tags, currently.

Stick with an Intel chipset.

> Floppy Drive
>
> 2 separate drives.....one DVD, the other DVD Writer

if you don't use it much you only need one, if you do then having two
drives saves wear and tear on the heavier write mechanism.

> 10 x 100 network card

I'd go 10/100/1000 just because it's there.

> G. Router - Linksys.
>
> Does that sound all right? He suggested that I can wait till later for the
> flat panel screen.

likely to be cheaper later.

Rick
July 22, 2005 10:43:03 PM

And a quick thank you to you as well.......isn't this heat a bummer?? We
have central air, thank g*d.....and one car has a/c. But sticking around
the house a lot.

I wonder if AMD is perhaps either cheaper or more widely used in the
UK....doesn't seem to be quite as popular here, I am realizing. But I have
no clue on that sort of thing. Usually the big box stores have e-machines,
then Celeron, then AMD and top one is Intel. Or so it looks to me, grin.

I should phone MDG one day and rattle their cage for ripping me off.....but
it is too much of a bother at the moment, lol. As I said to Willy, they
would probably offer me a *deal*, but I don't trust them. I will stick with
him.

Cheers......Heather

> Heather wrote:
>
> > Once we settle on whatever, he says he can build it in a couple of days.
We
> > are still having that damn heat wave (as Rick will tell you)
>
> had the A/C cranked 24/7 for the last couple weeks; every couple days it
> freezes up (like a fridge that needs defrosting) so I gotta run it fan
> only for a couple hours then back on full blast again. Power company's
> cranked the voltage down to compensate so flourescent lights take awhile
> to come on.
>
> > HD - SATA 160 gig (Partition? Plus, I can use this machine for backup)
>
> "fluid bearings" drives are a little quieter but still new on the market.
>
> aumha site has a half-decent partitioning schema, basically:
>
> - partition for the OS
> - partition for other programs
> - partition for swap and other ephemerals (newsgroup, TEMP, IE Temp,
> Downloads)
> - partition for personal stuff (email, whatever)
> - partition for system's stuff, utilities, driver zips
> - big partition for media
> - big partition for CD images
>
> > Video card - 128 meg PCI Express 9800
> >
> > RAM - 512 Kingston
>
> should make sure you still have an open slot just in case you want to
> add more in a couple years.
>
> > ASUS motherboard with integrated sound. He thought you all were right
in
> > that I didn't need a separate sound card.
>
> If you've been doing alright all along without a discrete soundsystem,
sure.

> > Intel 3.0 gig processor (he is not keen on AMD)
>
> not too keen on the power requirements but the more efficient processors
> carry pretty big price tags, currently.
>
> Stick with an Intel chipset.
>
> > Floppy Drive
> >
> > 2 separate drives.....one DVD, the other DVD Writer
>
> if you don't use it much you only need one, if you do then having two
> drives saves wear and tear on the heavier write mechanism.
>
> > 10 x 100 network card
>
> I'd go 10/100/1000 just because it's there.
>
> > G. Router - Linksys.
> >
> > Does that sound all right? He suggested that I can wait till later for
the
> > flat panel screen.
>
> likely to be cheaper later.
>

> Rick
July 22, 2005 11:04:23 PM

central here, too; the coils ice over after a couple of days running.

It's been awhile since I did any in-depth evaluation on chips/chipsets;
should ask Willy what he thinks of all the different things available.

Rick

Heather wrote:
> [...]
>>

>>>ASUS motherboard with integrated sound. He thought you all were right
>
> in
>
>>>that I didn't need a separate sound card.
>>
>>If you've been doing alright all along without a discrete soundsystem,
>
> sure.
>
>>>Intel 3.0 gig processor (he is not keen on AMD)
>>
>>not too keen on the power requirements but the more efficient processors
>>carry pretty big price tags, currently.
>>
>>Stick with an Intel chipset.
>>

>>>Floppy Drive
>>>
>>>2 separate drives.....one DVD, the other DVD Writer
>>
>>if you don't use it much you only need one, if you do then having two
>>drives saves wear and tear on the heavier write mechanism.
>>

>>>10 x 100 network card
>>
>>I'd go 10/100/1000 just because it's there.
>>

>>>G. Router - Linksys.
>>>
>>>Does that sound all right? He suggested that I can wait till later for

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:15:32 AM

As Mike said, Heather, AMD. No question about it.
You will not be sorry.

Harry

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi All.....
>
> Been too darn hot to do much these days, so just getting to this now.
>
> Willy fixed my WinME CD Writer for peanuts.....it was the ribbon IDE
thing.
> And he dictated the following to me and asked that I run it by you all
again
> as he thinks highly of your opinions.
>
> Once we settle on whatever, he says he can build it in a couple of days.
We
> are still having that damn heat wave (as Rick will tell you) and it is
> taking the mickey out of Ron, so I have been watching him like a hawk!!
He
> gets quite dizzy and weak from the humidity.
>
> I probably don't have all the proper models and versions, etc., but the
> following is what he is suggesting..........
>
> HD - SATA 160 gig (Partition? Plus, I can use this machine for backup)
>
> Video card - 128 meg PCI Express 9800
>
> RAM - 512 Kingston
>
> ASUS motherboard with integrated sound. He thought you all were right in
> that I didn't need a separate sound card.
>
> Intel 3.0 gig processor (he is not keen on AMD)
>
> Floppy Drive
>
> 2 separate drives.....one DVD, the other DVD Writer
>
> 10 x 100 network card
>
> G. Router - Linksys.
>
> Does that sound all right? He suggested that I can wait till later for
the
> flat
> panel screen....they are about $270.
>
> Any thoughts or comments are most welcome.
>
> Cheers.....Heather

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:11:48 AM

Heather,

AMD vs. Intel. Your choice but you're going to get far more bang for your
bucks with AMD

NIC. Go for a motherboard with built-in NIC and save yourself a few
dollars. Thinking future you might even want to think gigabit. :-)

Video card. 9800Pro as this should support the advanced video features of
Longhorn/Vista although a vanilla 9800 is probably OK. Note that lesser
video cards can run Vista but probably won't be able to run the fancy
features that form part of Aero Glass.

Router: You say Linksys I say Netgear. Much of a muchness. If talking
ADSL mode/router then ensure that it is ADSL2+ ready as this will probably
be with you soon if not already. You may even want to incorporate a
wireless access point (WAP).

Hard Disk: Just one? <vbg>

If you have a digicam and/or digital movie camera and they use Compact
Flash or Secure Digital cards or whatever you might want to include a
multi reader as part of the floppy drive. Only a few dollars extra if
bought as a combined unit. Likewise check that the Asus mobo has a
firewire port.
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Hi All.....
>
> Been too darn hot to do much these days, so just getting to this now.
>
> Willy fixed my WinME CD Writer for peanuts.....it was the ribbon IDE
> thing. And he dictated the following to me and asked that I run it by
> you all again as he thinks highly of your opinions.
>
> Once we settle on whatever, he says he can build it in a couple of
> days. We are still having that damn heat wave (as Rick will tell
> you) and it is taking the mickey out of Ron, so I have been watching
> him like a hawk!! He gets quite dizzy and weak from the humidity.
>
> I probably don't have all the proper models and versions, etc., but
> the following is what he is suggesting..........
>
> HD - SATA 160 gig (Partition? Plus, I can use this machine for
> backup)
>
> Video card - 128 meg PCI Express 9800
>
> RAM - 512 Kingston
>
> ASUS motherboard with integrated sound. He thought you all were
> right in that I didn't need a separate sound card.
>
> Intel 3.0 gig processor (he is not keen on AMD)
>
> Floppy Drive
>
> 2 separate drives.....one DVD, the other DVD Writer
>
> 10 x 100 network card
>
> G. Router - Linksys.
>
> Does that sound all right? He suggested that I can wait till later
> for the flat
> panel screen....they are about $270.
>
> Any thoughts or comments are most welcome.
>
> Cheers.....Heather
July 23, 2005 3:11:49 AM

Thanks, Mike.......even tho I didn't understand all that much of it. Maybe
that is why Willy likes me to pass the info on to you....knowing I probably
don't understand half of it, lol.

More than one HD.....give your head a shake!! <g> Although one of you
suggested two 80 gig HD's, I think. But I will pass whatever info I get
onto him and go from there.

I will drop you a line later.....have to eat before I keel over!! This diet
of Ron's is killing me.......lol. But we are losing a few pounds. He needs
to.....I don't. (G) The pictures we took at the Tower of London last year
gave him a shock....he had gained about 10 lbs. (and a further 10 over the
winter).

OH....I don't have a video camera.....just the digital one. And I do have
the reader for that card. Also no plans to get a video camera. Never been
interested in them, to be honest.

Cheers......Heather (and I am trying to remember all the *toys* that the
Loon put on his new computer....not about to try and keep up with a Texan!!)

> Heather,
>
> AMD vs. Intel. Your choice but you're going to get far more bang for your
> bucks with AMD
>
> NIC. Go for a motherboard with built-in NIC and save yourself a few
> dollars. Thinking future you might even want to think gigabit. :-)
>
> Video card. 9800Pro as this should support the advanced video features of
> Longhorn/Vista although a vanilla 9800 is probably OK. Note that lesser
> video cards can run Vista but probably won't be able to run the fancy
> features that form part of Aero Glass.
>
> Router: You say Linksys I say Netgear. Much of a muchness. If talking
> ADSL mode/router then ensure that it is ADSL2+ ready as this will probably
> be with you soon if not already. You may even want to incorporate a
> wireless access point (WAP).
>
> Hard Disk: Just one? <vbg>
>
> If you have a digicam and/or digital movie camera and they use Compact
> Flash or Secure Digital cards or whatever you might want to include a
> multi reader as part of the floppy drive. Only a few dollars extra if
> bought as a combined unit. Likewise check that the Asus mobo has a
> firewire port.
> --
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Hi All.....
> >
> > Been too darn hot to do much these days, so just getting to this now.
> >
> > Willy fixed my WinME CD Writer for peanuts.....it was the ribbon IDE
> > thing. And he dictated the following to me and asked that I run it by
> > you all again as he thinks highly of your opinions.
> >
> > Once we settle on whatever, he says he can build it in a couple of
> > days. We are still having that damn heat wave (as Rick will tell
> > you) and it is taking the mickey out of Ron, so I have been watching
> > him like a hawk!! He gets quite dizzy and weak from the humidity.
> >
> > I probably don't have all the proper models and versions, etc., but
> > the following is what he is suggesting..........
> >
> > HD - SATA 160 gig (Partition? Plus, I can use this machine for
> > backup)
> >
> > Video card - 128 meg PCI Express 9800
> >
> > RAM - 512 Kingston
> >
> > ASUS motherboard with integrated sound. He thought you all were
> > right in that I didn't need a separate sound card.
> >
> > Intel 3.0 gig processor (he is not keen on AMD)
> >
> > Floppy Drive
> >
> > 2 separate drives.....one DVD, the other DVD Writer
> >
> > 10 x 100 network card
> >
> > G. Router - Linksys.
> >
> > Does that sound all right? He suggested that I can wait till later
> > for the flat
> > panel screen....they are about $270.
> >
> > Any thoughts or comments are most welcome.
> >
> > Cheers.....Heather

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:11:36 AM

AMD is the processor of choice nowadays for most users worldwide who want
performance and at the same time value for money. :-) The AMD 64 is the
best of the crop and even Intel gave up with their Itanium and decided to
follow AMD rather than the other way round. I'm not even sure if Intel
have even released their x64 processor yet but if you check the ads you
will find it everywhere especially in the machines used by those testing
Microsoft operating systems.
--
Mike

!