no game controller option in control panel

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2005 4:19:46 AM

Hi all,
As the subject line says:
I reinstalled win 2000pro on a new machine.... no game controller option
appeared in control panel.
The old installation had it (i had a joystick ).
I followed the help instructions but it has changed nothing (perhaps i did
it wrong).
any ideas anyone?

in the sys 32 folder there is
joy.cp
joy.old(i had tried to modify)
any ideas on this?

thanks gry
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2005 1:56:02 PM

"THE GRYLION" <grylion@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 1l7fi$pek$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Hi all,
> As the subject line says:
> I reinstalled win 2000pro on a new machine.... no game controller option
> appeared in control panel.
> The old installation had it (i had a joystick ).
> I followed the help instructions but it has changed nothing (perhaps i did
> it wrong).
> any ideas anyone?
>
> in the sys 32 folder there is
> joy.cp
> joy.old(i had tried to modify)
> any ideas on this?

how old is this computer? Have you enabled either the onboard sound card?
The midi/game port is part of the onboard sound so if you have disabled that
then you won't get anywhere. If you have disabled it to use a pci card or
isa sound card then you have to use that one and it is a dirver issue with
the sound card. Otherwise it should simply be a usb device and very
straight forward.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2005 3:44:55 AM

win 2000pro sp4
m/b p4c800-e deluxe bios 1019.004
p4 3g
1g memory
using onboard sound
The game port is enabled
Device manager says ....no problems
no yellow exclamation marks
no game controller showing in control panel
I have reinstalled this o/s before with no problems
I tried the help advice but no difference.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2005 2:05:29 AM

"THE GRYLION" <grylion@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 1npq7$5i2$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> win 2000pro sp4
> m/b p4c800-e deluxe bios 1019.004
> p4 3g
> 1g memory
> using onboard sound
> The game port is enabled
> Device manager says ....no problems
> no yellow exclamation marks
> no game controller showing in control panel
> I have reinstalled this o/s before with no problems
> I tried the help advice but no difference.

Then it is definitely a matter of installing the game devices joystick. I
had this problem with a rather expensive microsoft joystick. I bascially
gave it away to someone who owned a windows 95 machine. Microsofts own site
said there wasn't a patch for the newer operating system. So microsoft
can't even make its own hardware work with its own software with its own OS,
pah!
!