Printer Colors - HP 2110 All-in-one

Malcolm

I have an odd situation. We have an HP 2110xi All-in-one printer. It will
accept a combination of two ink cartridges, either the CMY (56) and Black
(57), or the CMY (56) and photo color cmk (58) cartridges. Supposedly, the
56/58 combo would be best for photo printing.

I had taken some senior portraits of my daughter and printed out 3 1/2 x 5
proofs on admittedly somewhat cheap Kodak picture paper (matte) and using
the 56/58 (six color) cartridge combo. All of the pictures had a very green
cast to them. Playing around, I found out that no ICC profile had been
selected, so I went to select one. The only one available was an sRGB
profile. I selected that and reprinted one page. Slightly less green, but
not the best.

That was a couple of weeks ago. Fast forward to today. I just received,
unpacked and set up my new Epson Stylus R800 printer (awesome printer, by
the way) and printed one of the portraits on one of the sample 4x6 Premium
Glossy Epson papers included with the printer. What an amazing difference.

I found that I had some HP Premium Glossy 4x6 paper laying around, so I
decided to reprint on the HP for comparison purposes. At the time, I had the
CMY (56) and Black (57) cartridges installed, so I printed using that combo.
The picture came out about the right colors. I replaced the Black (57) with
the photo (58) cartridge and tried again, still with the HP Premium Glossy
4x6 paper. With this combo, it has a greenish cast, looks worse than the
color/black combo.

This is more or less a moot point now that I have the Epson and plan on
doing my photo printing on it from now on. However, I am curious why the
six-color cartridge combo on the HP would produce such inferior and
green-casted results? Should I change to another ICC profile for the
six-color cartridge combo?

FYI, I did do a cartridge cleaning and printed about four test sheets to
ensure that all colors were printing properly. No clogged jets, all colors
on the test sheet looked correct. Printing straight from the Windows XP Fax
and Picture printing wizard. All HP enhancements turned off. Same settings
between both prints.

--
Malcolm

"Malcolm" <malcolmDROPTHISPARTtalley@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> FYI, I did do a cartridge cleaning and printed about four test sheets to
> ensure that all colors were printing properly. No clogged jets, all colors
> on the test sheet looked correct. Printing straight from the Windows XP Fax
> and Picture printing wizard. All HP enhancements turned off. Same settings
> between both prints.

Are you selecting best mode in the driver and also selecting the correct paper
type? If you are using plain paper settings to print on photo paper the
results will be poor.

Regards,

Malcolm

Yes, I selected "Best Photo" and selected the HP Premium Glossy from the
paper selection menu in both cases.

--
Malcolm

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> "Malcolm" <malcolmDROPTHISPARTtalley@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> > FYI, I did do a cartridge cleaning and printed about four test sheets to
> > ensure that all colors were printing properly. No clogged jets, all
colors
> > on the test sheet looked correct. Printing straight from the Windows XP
Fax
> > and Picture printing wizard. All HP enhancements turned off. Same
settings
> > between both prints.
>
> Are you selecting best mode in the driver and also selecting the correct
paper
> type? If you are using plain paper settings to print on photo paper the
> results will be poor.
>
> Regards,

most possible a faulty #58 cartridge (because the photos are greenish I
suppose the problem is the light magenta).

--

Malcolm

I thought that, too. But, printing a test sheet shows perfect patterns from
the light cyan, light magenta and black in the #58.

--
Malcolm