KB903235 Problems

Has anyone experienced problems after installing critical update KB903235?

After installing it I've discovered that system restore doesn't work. I
went through all my old checkpoints and system restore got half way through
the bar going across the screen, the computer rebooted and told me that I
can't restore to that checkpoint.

I ran scandisk which fixed errors. I didn't defrag. I then tried the SR
test of adding a shortcut to the desktop after creating a checkpoint and
system restore hung with the bar 1/4 of the way across the screen. I had to
ctl-alt-del and end task on system restore.

Is there a way to ininstall KB903235? What else can I do to get system
restore back up and running?

Nothing else on the system appears to be affected as all is functioning
properly.

Grasping at straws here.

Any guidance would be most greatly appreciated.

KB
4 answers Last reply
More about kb903235 problems

    Nothing similar observed here and installing 903235 doesn't go anywhere
    near the system restore settings or files so if you are having problems
    with system restore the cause probably lies elsewhere.

    Restoration Unsuccessful:
    A failure to restore to a previously created checkpoint is often a sign
    that the 290700 patch for system restore wasn't installed when the
    checkpoint to which you were trying to return was created. If that is the
    case the checkpoint is useless.

    What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
    You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
    right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
    If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
    need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
    easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
    (KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
    restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

    It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
    subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
    this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
    If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
    may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
    (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
    identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

    > Has anyone experienced problems after installing critical update
    > KB903235?
    >
    > After installing it I've discovered that system restore doesn't work.
    > I went through all my old checkpoints and system restore got half way
    > through the bar going across the screen, the computer rebooted and
    > told me that I can't restore to that checkpoint.
    >
    > I ran scandisk which fixed errors. I didn't defrag. I then tried
    > the SR test of adding a shortcut to the desktop after creating a
    > checkpoint and system restore hung with the bar 1/4 of the way across
    > the screen. I had to ctl-alt-del and end task on system restore.
    >
    > Is there a way to ininstall KB903235? What else can I do to get
    > system restore back up and running?
    >
    > Nothing else on the system appears to be affected as all is
    > functioning properly.
    >
    > Grasping at straws here.
    >
    > Any guidance would be most greatly appreciated.
    >
    > KB

    Mike:
    I believe you're correct in that the problem was elsewhere. The system is
    up to date with all patches, Belarc said everything was and is ok.

    Somewhere the restore archive became corrupt. Not sure when or how. One
    thing that I did notice was that on the same day the critical update was
    installed, Microsoft Picture It was upgraded from the original 2000 install
    to a 2001 version. I need to reinforce the "Ask me first before updating or
    downloading or anything ever!" rule.

    I scanned, defragged then flushed system restore. After turning it back on,
    I did the shortcut test and it worked just fine.

    Thanks for your feedback, Mike. The system's purring along again.

    Cheers,

    KB
    > Nothing similar observed here and installing 903235 doesn't go anywhere
    > near the system restore settings or files so if you are having problems
    > with system restore the cause probably lies elsewhere.
    >
    > Restoration Unsuccessful:
    > A failure to restore to a previously created checkpoint is often a sign
    > that the 290700 patch for system restore wasn't installed when the
    > checkpoint to which you were trying to return was created. If that is the
    > case the checkpoint is useless.
    >
    > What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
    > You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
    > right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
    > If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
    > need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
    > easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
    > (KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
    > restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).
    >
    > It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
    > subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
    > this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
    > If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
    > may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
    > (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
    > identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone experienced problems after installing critical update
    > > KB903235?
    > >
    > > After installing it I've discovered that system restore doesn't work.
    > > I went through all my old checkpoints and system restore got half way
    > > through the bar going across the screen, the computer rebooted and
    > > told me that I can't restore to that checkpoint.
    > >
    > > I ran scandisk which fixed errors. I didn't defrag. I then tried
    > > the SR test of adding a shortcut to the desktop after creating a
    > > checkpoint and system restore hung with the bar 1/4 of the way across
    > > the screen. I had to ctl-alt-del and end task on system restore.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to ininstall KB903235? What else can I do to get
    > > system restore back up and running?
    > >
    > > Nothing else on the system appears to be affected as all is
    > > functioning properly.
    > >
    > > Grasping at straws here.
    > >
    > > Any guidance would be most greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > KB

    KB,

    Good to read that all is OK. Not having Microsoft Picture It I can't
    comment on the behaviour of this app; I'm a long standing user of Corel's
    PhotoPaint for image editing which is what I'm assuming is the role of
    Picture It!. Odd that is should have messed with the restore archive in
    some way but that's all past and if you're now saying all is well that's
    all that really matters,

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike M

    KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

    > Mike:
    > I believe you're correct in that the problem was elsewhere. The
    > system is up to date with all patches, Belarc said everything was and
    > is ok.
    >
    > Somewhere the restore archive became corrupt. Not sure when or how.
    > One thing that I did notice was that on the same day the critical
    > update was installed, Microsoft Picture It was upgraded from the
    > original 2000 install to a 2001 version. I need to reinforce the
    > "Ask me first before updating or downloading or anything ever!" rule.
    >
    > I scanned, defragged then flushed system restore. After turning it
    > back on, I did the shortcut test and it worked just fine.
    >
    > Thanks for your feedback, Mike. The system's purring along again.

    Ok, now I'm checking the physical memory bank (the one in my head) and the
    installation of the critical update may have been the problem. I didn't see
    the intallation bar move across like it normally does. It also could have
    been an AVG update. Sometimes those cause unexpected results.

    Oh well, all is well for now. The system is snappy again, just like it
    should be.

    Also the user I've been helping hasn't seen a window to enter a password
    since you helped us fix it.

    Thanks much and take care, Mike.

    KB
    > KB,
    >
    > Good to read that all is OK. Not having Microsoft Picture It I can't
    > comment on the behaviour of this app; I'm a long standing user of Corel's
    > PhotoPaint for image editing which is what I'm assuming is the role of
    > Picture It!. Odd that is should have messed with the restore archive in
    > some way but that's all past and if you're now saying all is well that's
    > all that really matters,
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Mike M
    >

    > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
    >
    > > Mike:
    > > I believe you're correct in that the problem was elsewhere. The
    > > system is up to date with all patches, Belarc said everything was and
    > > is ok.
    > >
    > > Somewhere the restore archive became corrupt. Not sure when or how.
    > > One thing that I did notice was that on the same day the critical
    > > update was installed, Microsoft Picture It was upgraded from the
    > > original 2000 install to a 2001 version. I need to reinforce the
    > > "Ask me first before updating or downloading or anything ever!" rule.
    > >
    > > I scanned, defragged then flushed system restore. After turning it
    > > back on, I did the shortcut test and it worked just fine.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your feedback, Mike. The system's purring along again.

Microsoft System Restore Windows