no sound

The "sound" has stopped working for some reason. I've checked the volume
control, and it is not muted. Something called "line in balance" is muted.
Checked system properties/device manager and the are no question marks.
Any help would be appreciated
thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about sound

    "Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The "sound" has stopped working for some reason. I've checked the
    volume
    > control, and it is not muted. Something called "line in balance" is
    muted.
    > Checked system properties/device manager and the are no question
    marks.
    > Any help would be appreciated
    > thanks

    Control Panel/System applet/Device Manager - click on Sound, Video &
    Game Controllers, Click on the Sound or Audio item(s) & delete them.
    Restart the computer and all items should be re-installed and all should
    be well.
    BTW also check that your speakers are functional and connected, you
    could have pulled one of the plugs out!
    Regards Mike.

    Thanks for the tip. It did the trick!
    The only thing it couldnt find when reinstalling was
    joyhid.vxd I skipped it and then did a "search" to find the file. It was in
    C:\windows\system
    I then went back and deleted everything from sound again, and when prompted
    typed in where the file could be found.
    All back to normal now
    thanks again

    "Mike Cawood, HND BIT" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The "sound" has stopped working for some reason. I've checked the
    > volume
    > > control, and it is not muted. Something called "line in balance" is
    > muted.
    > > Checked system properties/device manager and the are no question
    > marks.
    > > Any help would be appreciated
    > > thanks
    > >

    > Control Panel/System applet/Device Manager - click on Sound, Video &
    > Game Controllers, Click on the Sound or Audio item(s) & delete them.
    > Restart the computer and all items should be re-installed and all should
    > be well.
    > BTW also check that your speakers are functional and connected, you
    > could have pulled one of the plugs out!
    > Regards Mike.

    Hi Donna,

    Line In should not have any effect unless you are listening to an external
    sound source. (e.g. tape recorder)

    Try the following , another poster with no sound found the following
    "logical" diagnostic useful :-

    1 Unplug speaker lead from the back of the CPU box and plug into the h'phone
    socket of a walkman. Can you hear through the speakers? If not, the speakers
    are not working.

    2 Plug the walkman h'phones into the back of the CPU box. Can you hear? If
    not, there are sound card problems.

    Speaker Problems

    Do you listen through powered speakers? Are they switched on? (at the
    speaker switch and at the mains and on the PSU) Are all fuses OK? Do you get
    voltage out of the PSU? Is the vol turned up a bit? If the answer to all
    these is yes, switch off and on at the speaker switch. Do you hear a click?
    If so the fault possibly lies in a faulty back-of-the-box to speaker cable;
    if not the fault possibly lies in the speakers themselves. If you can get
    the back of the master speaker off and fancy poking about (all low voltage
    inside), you may find loose or broken wires you can re solder.
    Last or even first double check, can you borrow a set of speakers and
    replace yours?

    Sound Card problems

    1 Courtesy of Noel Paton -
    Reboot to Safe Mode
    Open Device Manager
    Remove ALL Sound & Multimedia devices
    Remove ALL error-flagged devices
    Remove ALL entries in the 'Other Devices' branch - if present
    Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers,
    hopefully curing your problem.

    2 Check the volume control icon (bottom right, near clock) Single click
    Master vol setting. Is the slider minimised or mute tickbox ticked? If so
    untick or move slider to 50%.
    3 Double click vol control icon to bring up mixer panel. (select SHOW ALL)
    Are any sliders muted or minimised? If so unmute and/or bring up to 50%
    level. (suggest only Mic Input is muted)
    4 Check volume slider on your player software. Is it Muted or minimised?
    Unmute or increase to 50%

    --
    Delboy

    A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
    foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

    Douglas Adams

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:45:53 GMT, "Delboy" wrote:
    >Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers,
    >hopefully curing your problem.

    We were about to start investigating a similar problem on my wife's
    computer, (she doesn't often use sound so we dont yet know why and
    when it went away :-) ) So thanks for posting Donna.

    Delboy and Mike :-
    Presumably you mean that WindowsME will find and install the drivers
    from within itself ?
    Or will it ask us to dig in our archives to find CDs with device
    drivers and things on them ?

    Thanks.

    see my reply to mike....

    "WaltA" <please@dontspam.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:45:53 GMT, "Delboy" wrote:
    > >Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers,
    > >hopefully curing your problem.
    >
    > We were about to start investigating a similar problem on my wife's
    > computer, (she doesn't often use sound so we dont yet know why and
    > when it went away :-) ) So thanks for posting Donna.
    >
    > Delboy and Mike :-
    > Presumably you mean that WindowsME will find and install the drivers
    > from within itself ?
    > Or will it ask us to dig in our archives to find CDs with device
    > drivers and things on them ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Provided the sound card and drivers were once installed, WinME should
    reinstall all necessary drivers pertinent to the sound card from within
    itself,

    --
    Delboy

    A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
    foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

    Douglas Adams
    "WaltA" <please@dontspam.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:45:53 GMT, "Delboy" wrote:
    > >Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers,
    > >hopefully curing your problem.
    >
    > We were about to start investigating a similar problem on my wife's
    > computer, (she doesn't often use sound so we dont yet know why and
    > when it went away :-) ) So thanks for posting Donna.
    >
    > Delboy and Mike :-
    > Presumably you mean that WindowsME will find and install the drivers
    > from within itself ?
    > Or will it ask us to dig in our archives to find CDs with device
    > drivers and things on them ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Good news. The joyhid.vxd file is probably a games joystick driver, which if
    you don't have a joystick wouldn't have mattered anyway.

    To quote Tony Hancock "Get your boot off of my joystick!"

    --

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:03:05 GMT, "Delboy" wrote:
    >Provided the sound card and drivers were once installed, WinME should
    >reinstall all necessary drivers pertinent to the sound card from within
    >itself,

    That's interesting, I didn't know that, thanks.
    We'll give it a go when she returns from holiday ( at moment it is
    buried behind knitting machines and etc ! )

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:08:31 -0400, "Donna" wrote:
    >It did the trick!

    That's good news :)

Device Manager Microsoft Windows