MGE vortec power supply

I don't know about that particular MGE, but I remember looking inside
another model in a store and wondering where the power transformer was
because it was so small for a PSU of its watt rating. Maybe they run
the transformer at a much higher than normal frequency, which would
allow a smaller transformer, but I have a feeling they simply skimped
on it.

But $99 for that PSU? No way. Get a 450W or higher Antec TruePower,
Zippy-Emacs, or Fortron-Source (Fortorn, Sparkle, Powerman, etc.)
instead; it will probably be able to put out more actual power.

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
> I don't know about that particular MGE, but I remember looking inside
> another model in a store and wondering where the power transformer was
> because it was so small for a PSU of its watt rating. Maybe they run
> the transformer at a much higher than normal frequency, which would
> allow a smaller transformer, but I have a feeling they simply skimped
> on it.
>
> But $99 for that PSU? No way. Get a 450W or higher Antec TruePower,
> Zippy-Emacs, or Fortron-Source (Fortorn, Sparkle, Powerman, etc.)
> instead; it will probably be able to put out more actual power.

is it possible that its actually rated under a different wattage other than
600 watt?

yeah, its seems awfully cheap for 600 watt.

bill

"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb31@nospam.com> wrote in message
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=17-167-012&ATT=Power+Supplies&CMP=OTC-B1zrat3
>
> anyone know if this power supply is any good?

Good for what? Best decide what one is needing to power now and consider
additional future requirements. Also consider the connectivity of the
hardware one will use. The choice of power supply should be made after all
other hardware is decided.

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
> larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> > I remember looking inside another model in a store and
> > wondering where the power transformer was because it was
> > so small for a PSU of its watt rating. Maybe they run
> > the transformer at a much higher than normal frequency,
> > which would allow a smaller transformer, but I have a
> > feeling they simply skimped on it.
> >
> > But $99 for that PSU? No way. Get a 450W or higher Antec
> > TruePower, Zippy-Emacs, or Fortron-Source (Fortorn, Sparkle,
> > Powerman, etc.) instead; it will probably be able to put out
> > more actual power.

> is it possible that its actually rated under a different
> wattage other than 600 watt?
>
> yeah, its seems awfully cheap for 600 watt.

How do you rate a 600W with different watts? One of the worst
companies, Q-tec, cheats on the power ratings and simply multiplies the
amps x volts for each rail and adds the products, but few ATX PSUs will
have continuous power ratings equal to such a sum. The power rating is
generally 10-30% lower.

David

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:30:04 -0600, Dilbert Firestorm
<scanb31@nospam.com> wrote:

>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=17-167-012&ATT=Power+Supplies&CMP=OTC-B1zrat3
>
>anyone know if this power supply is any good?
All reviews on this PS are very positve and highly recommended.

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
>
>>larry moe 'n curly wrote:
>

>>>I remember looking inside another model in a store and
>>>wondering where the power transformer was because it was
>>>so small for a PSU of its watt rating. Maybe they run
>>>the transformer at a much higher than normal frequency,
>>>which would allow a smaller transformer, but I have a
>>>feeling they simply skimped on it.
>>>
>>>But $99 for that PSU? No way. Get a 450W or higher Antec
>>>TruePower, Zippy-Emacs, or Fortron-Source (Fortorn, Sparkle,
>>>Powerman, etc.) instead; it will probably be able to put out
>>>more actual power.
>

>>is it possible that its actually rated under a different
>>wattage other than 600 watt?
>>
>>yeah, its seems awfully cheap for 600 watt.
>

> How do you rate a 600W with different watts? One of the worst
> companies, Q-tec, cheats on the power ratings and simply multiplies the
> amps x volts for each rail and adds the products,

It's worse than that. They rate the PSUs with "peak" watts, a useless term.

Bill wrote:
> "Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb31@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > anyone know if this power supply is any good?
>
> Good for what?

Look for a power supply that's heavy (more severe blunt force trauma)
and has long cables (easier to strangle big-necked people, but modular
cables are bad because they pull off). It's funny how the best supply
for killing is also the best supply for the computer.