System Resources

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 25, 2005 3:08:01 AM

I have always had low system resources & my system runs slow & often hangs.
I bought extra RAM thinking that it would fix the problem (I was wrong).
Could you please give me suggestions to fix the slow system? As a side note,
would a lot of fonts installed cause this?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

More about : system resources

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:51:25 PM

System Resources in Win 9x system such as Win Me doesn't normally refer to
the amount of RAM installed on a system but instead usually refers to two
fixed size 64KB stacks used by various 16 bit programs and libraries to
store pointers and the like. To solve the problem you need to reduce the
number of running processes and only launch them as and when required
rather than having lots of processes launching each time you boot your
system. Similarly you need to close rather than minimise unused
windows/applications so as to release, as far as is possible, resources
used by the process concerned.

A good place to look to for advice as to which programs need to be run at
startup and those that can be safely disabled, is Pacman's site where he
lists what should definitely be retained and which can be safely removed
from the startup axis (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm).
Reducing such applications and only starting them when required can free
up significant resources. Note though that before disabling any
application that you make yourself fully aware of its purpose and
understand what the consequences might be, if any, of disabling it at
start up.

However if the problem is related to the use if Word, then the following
may be of some relevance.

Using Explorer's Search look for all instances of the Word template file
normal.dot and rename them normal.bak and then retry opening Word. If
that solves the problem a new default template file will automatically be
recreated and you can delete the files you renamed.

For more details of this suggested fix see MS KB 307814 - "WD: Error
Message: System Is Dangerously Low on Resources"
(http://support.Microsoft.com?kbid=307814).
--
Mike Maltby
mcmaltby@hotmail.com

Buneluvr <Buneluvr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have always had low system resources & my system runs slow & often
> hangs.
> I bought extra RAM thinking that it would fix the problem (I was
> wrong). Could you please give me suggestions to fix the slow system?
> As a side note, would a lot of fonts installed cause this?
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:46:30 AM

The number of fonts in Win ME can cause problems - but usually only when the
number of fonts exceeds 500 or so (more usually 700)

How many fonts do you have installed?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi