System Resources

I have always had low system resources & my system runs slow & often hangs.
I bought extra RAM thinking that it would fix the problem (I was wrong).
Could you please give me suggestions to fix the slow system? As a side note,
would a lot of fonts installed cause this?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about system resources

    System Resources in Win 9x system such as Win Me doesn't normally refer to
    the amount of RAM installed on a system but instead usually refers to two
    fixed size 64KB stacks used by various 16 bit programs and libraries to
    store pointers and the like. To solve the problem you need to reduce the
    number of running processes and only launch them as and when required
    rather than having lots of processes launching each time you boot your
    system. Similarly you need to close rather than minimise unused
    windows/applications so as to release, as far as is possible, resources
    used by the process concerned.

    A good place to look to for advice as to which programs need to be run at
    startup and those that can be safely disabled, is Pacman's site where he
    lists what should definitely be retained and which can be safely removed
    from the startup axis (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm).
    Reducing such applications and only starting them when required can free
    up significant resources. Note though that before disabling any
    application that you make yourself fully aware of its purpose and
    understand what the consequences might be, if any, of disabling it at
    start up.

    However if the problem is related to the use if Word, then the following
    may be of some relevance.

    Using Explorer's Search look for all instances of the Word template file
    normal.dot and rename them normal.bak and then retry opening Word. If
    that solves the problem a new default template file will automatically be
    recreated and you can delete the files you renamed.

    For more details of this suggested fix see MS KB 307814 - "WD: Error
    Message: System Is Dangerously Low on Resources"
    (http://support.Microsoft.com?kbid=307814).
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mcmaltby@hotmail.com

    Buneluvr <Buneluvr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I have always had low system resources & my system runs slow & often
    > hangs.
    > I bought extra RAM thinking that it would fix the problem (I was
    > wrong). Could you please give me suggestions to fix the slow system?
    > As a side note, would a lot of fonts installed cause this?
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated.

    The number of fonts in Win ME can cause problems - but usually only when the
    number of fonts exceeds 500 or so (more usually 700)

    How many fonts do you have installed?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Buneluvr" <Buneluvr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have always had low system resources & my system runs slow & often hangs.
    > I bought extra RAM thinking that it would fix the problem (I was wrong).
    > Could you please give me suggestions to fix the slow system? As a side
    > note,
    > would a lot of fonts installed cause this?
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated.

Microsoft Windows