Computer Doesn't Keep Correct Date and Time

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2005 3:39:59 AM

I built a computer for a friend and used an ECS K7S5A motherboard (and
an AMD 1700+ CPU) that I had. I bought it new but it sat on my shelf
about a year before I built her box.

After I gave the computer to my friend, she said that it was giving her
a CMOS error on boot-up and it was not keeping the date and time correctly.

I bought a new battery and replaced the battery on the motherboard. I
also went into Set-up and reset the settings and the CMOS error went
away. But she called back and said that it still is not keeping the
correct date and time.

Any thoughts on how to fix the date and time problem?

Thanks,

Brian
March 22, 2005 3:40:00 AM

windows or bios is not the correct time?

"Brian Wilson" <bw@ccREMOVETHISms.net> wrote in message
> I built a computer for a friend and used an ECS K7S5A motherboard (and
> an AMD 1700+ CPU) that I had. I bought it new but it sat on my shelf
> about a year before I built her box.
>
> After I gave the computer to my friend, she said that it was giving her
> a CMOS error on boot-up and it was not keeping the date and time
correctly.

> I bought a new battery and replaced the battery on the motherboard. I
> also went into Set-up and reset the settings and the CMOS error went
> away. But she called back and said that it still is not keeping the
> correct date and time.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix the date and time problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2005 6:52:55 AM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> windows or bios is not the correct time?
>
> "Brian Wilson" <bw@ccREMOVETHISms.net> wrote in message
>> I built a computer for a friend and used an ECS K7S5A motherboard (and
>> an AMD 1700+ CPU) that I had. I bought it new but it sat on my shelf
>> about a year before I built her box.
>>
>> After I gave the computer to my friend, she said that it was giving her
>> a CMOS error on boot-up and it was not keeping the date and time
> correctly.
>>
>> I bought a new battery and replaced the battery on the motherboard. I
>> also went into Set-up and reset the settings and the CMOS error went
>> away. But she called back and said that it still is not keeping the
>> correct date and time.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to fix the date and time problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian

Is the "Clear Cmos" Jumper in the right position?

Regards, Rene Lamontagne
Related resources
March 22, 2005 4:54:44 PM

"Brian Wilson" <bw@ccREMOVETHISms.net> wrote in message
>I built a computer for a friend and used an ECS K7S5A motherboard (and an
>AMD 1700+ CPU) that I had. I bought it new but it sat on my shelf about a
>year before I built her box.
>
> After I gave the computer to my friend, she said that it was giving her a
> CMOS error on boot-up and it was not keeping the date and time correctly.
>
> I bought a new battery and replaced the battery on the motherboard. I
> also went into Set-up and reset the settings and the CMOS error went away.
> But she called back and said that it still is not keeping the correct date
> and time.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix the date and time problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Assuming you have the clear CMOS jumper in the correct position, then you
have what is a known issue with some K7S5A's - which is one reason I'll
never touch another one with a very long bargepole.
Have a look on some of the AMD motherboard websites, you'll find various
possible fixes.

SteveH
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2005 3:51:19 AM

Hi,

Rather than lend any sarcasm I'll just realate my own problems with a
K7S5A. After a little over a year of use I started getting checksum errors
on startup. I replaced the battery and after a week I suddenly could not
boot into Win98 as system files couldn't be found. One would have thought
that's a hard drive issue. I installed a new hard drive I had on the shelf
and reinstalled Windows. A week went by and guess what, same thing. I
replaced the mb with an MSI and for the past seven months have had no
trouble. ECS K7S5A=loathesome, pain in the ass, and undependable. If I were
the only one this were happening to then I'd just say it's a matter of luck.
But in this case I'd say the board has earned its reputation.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Brian Wilson" <bw@ccREMOVETHISms.net> wrote in message
>>I built a computer for a friend and used an ECS K7S5A motherboard (and an
>>AMD 1700+ CPU) that I had. I bought it new but it sat on my shelf about a
>>year before I built her box.
>>
>> After I gave the computer to my friend, she said that it was giving her a
>> CMOS error on boot-up and it was not keeping the date and time correctly.
>>
>> I bought a new battery and replaced the battery on the motherboard. I
>> also went into Set-up and reset the settings and the CMOS error went
>> away. But she called back and said that it still is not keeping the
>> correct date and time.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to fix the date and time problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian
>>
> Assuming you have the clear CMOS jumper in the correct position, then you
> have what is a known issue with some K7S5A's - which is one reason I'll
> never touch another one with a very long bargepole.
> Have a look on some of the AMD motherboard websites, you'll find various
> possible fixes.
>
> SteveH

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2005 4:20:09 PM

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Rather than lend any sarcasm I'll just realate my own problems with a
> K7S5A. After a little over a year of use I started getting checksum errors
> on startup. I replaced the battery and after a week I suddenly could not
> boot into Win98 as system files couldn't be found. One would have thought
> that's a hard drive issue. I installed a new hard drive I had on the shelf
> and reinstalled Windows. A week went by and guess what, same thing. I
> replaced the mb with an MSI and for the past seven months have had no
> trouble. ECS K7S5A=loathesome, pain in the ass, and undependable. If I
> were the only one this were happening to then I'd just say it's a matter
> of luck. But in this case I'd say the board has earned its reputation.

i beleive the bios battery is either run down or the connection is loose.
This is a known issue.
!