shutdown/start up

I reinstalled Win ME and am having a problem. My computer turns on by
itself at 2:00 am. I have done on line scans for viruses, malware, etc.
I went thru every program and changed everything that says automatic update,
even my AV. It is still turning on.

Had a tech in 2 days laterto install a wireless network (couldn't keep a
connection) . Don't know if this caused my problem. Could it be my sound
card? I can do a system restore to the day I reinstalled windows and
reinstall printers, etc. but don't know if this will help. would appreciate
any suggestions. Thanks

"char78" <char78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reinstalled Win ME and am having a problem. My computer turns on by
> itself at 2:00 am. I have done on line scans for viruses, malware,
> etc.
> I went thru every program and changed everything that says automatic
> update,
> even my AV. It is still turning on.
>
> Had a tech in 2 days laterto install a wireless network (couldn't keep a
> connection) . Don't know if this caused my problem. Could it be my sound
> card? I can do a system restore to the day I reinstalled windows and
> reinstall printers, etc. but don't know if this will help. would
> appreciate
> any suggestions. Thanks

I would say it's impossible for a computer to turn itself on assuming it's
properly turned off, i.e. not in Standby or Hibernate mode. Maybe there's a
ghost in the machine.

Look in the BIOS for a possible WOL/WOW/WOA (Wake On ...) setting - that's
the most likely problem.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"char78" <char78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reinstalled Win ME and am having a problem. My computer turns on by
> itself at 2:00 am. I have done on line scans for viruses, malware,
> etc.
> I went thru every program and changed everything that says automatic
> update,
> even my AV. It is still turning on.
>
> Had a tech in 2 days laterto install a wireless network (couldn't keep a
> connection) . Don't know if this caused my problem. Could it be my sound
> card? I can do a system restore to the day I reinstalled windows and
> reinstall printers, etc. but don't know if this will help. would
> appreciate
> any suggestions. Thanks

Noel thanks for the information. I went into the BIOS after finding a copy
of the BIOS in one of my manuals, which showed the settings I should have,
and changed "auto power on" to disable. When I went to change it, a 2 line
pop up appeared, one line said "2:00 am". My computer did not come on this
morning. thanks again.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Look in the BIOS for a possible WOL/WOW/WOA (Wake On ...) setting - that's
> the most likely problem.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "char78" <char78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I reinstalled Win ME and am having a problem. My computer turns on by
> > itself at 2:00 am. I have done on line scans for viruses, malware,
> > etc.
> > I went thru every program and changed everything that says automatic
> > update,
> > even my AV. It is still turning on.
> >
> > Had a tech in 2 days laterto install a wireless network (couldn't keep a
> > connection) . Don't know if this caused my problem. Could it be my sound
> > card? I can do a system restore to the day I reinstalled windows and
> > reinstall printers, etc. but don't know if this will help. would
> > appreciate
> > any suggestions. Thanks

Glad you got it fixed! - these things can sometimes hide a while before you
get them<g>

--

> Noel thanks for the information. I went into the BIOS after finding a
> copy
> of the BIOS in one of my manuals, which showed the settings I should
> have,
> and changed "auto power on" to disable. When I went to change it, a 2
> line
> pop up appeared, one line said "2:00 am". My computer did not come on
> this
> morning. thanks again.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> Look in the BIOS for a possible WOL/WOW/WOA (Wake On ...) setting -
>> that's
>> the most likely problem.
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "char78" <char78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I reinstalled Win ME and am having a problem. My computer turns on by
>> > itself at 2:00 am. I have done on line scans for viruses, malware,
>> > etc.
>> > I went thru every program and changed everything that says automatic
>> > update,
>> > even my AV. It is still turning on.
>> >
>> > Had a tech in 2 days laterto install a wireless network (couldn't keep
>> > connection) . Don't know if this caused my problem. Could it be my
>> > sound
>> > card? I can do a system restore to the day I reinstalled windows and
>> > reinstall printers, etc. but don't know if this will help. would
>> > appreciate
>> > any suggestions. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS