  • Wireless Network
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 27, 2005 1:22:32 AM

hi everyone,
i am doing some research for my boss who wants to adopt a wireless
network for our office.

our present lan uses cat5 cables over ovislink gigabit switches.
we have seen speed improvements using this 10/100/1000 over our old
10/100 setup.

question is has wifi reached speeds near the gigabit mark?

or to put it another way

will i feel any speed issues when compared with 10/100? or drop
connections?

thanks.

More about : speed wireless network

July 27, 2005 1:42:46 PM

Wireless will be slower than a 1GB to the desktop wired solution.

Why does your boss want you to adopt wireless? What is the problem that
needs a solution?

-Frank

<cadguy33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi everyone,
> i am doing some research for my boss who wants to adopt a wireless
> network for our office.
>
> our present lan uses cat5 cables over ovislink gigabit switches.
> we have seen speed improvements using this 10/100/1000 over our old
> 10/100 setup.
>
> question is has wifi reached speeds near the gigabit mark?
>
> or to put it another way
>
> will i feel any speed issues when compared with 10/100? or drop
> connections?
>
> thanks.

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 8:30:05 PM

Hi
Even Giga does Not reach anywhere near Giga.
May be this can Help - http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<cadguy33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi everyone,
> i am doing some research for my boss who wants to adopt a wireless
> network for our office.
>
> our present lan uses cat5 cables over ovislink gigabit switches.
> we have seen speed improvements using this 10/100/1000 over our old
> 10/100 setup.
>
> question is has wifi reached speeds near the gigabit mark?
>
> or to put it another way
>
> will i feel any speed issues when compared with 10/100? or drop
> connections?
>
> thanks.

July 28, 2005 12:58:39 AM

hi frank,

my boss thinks that wireless is the "new techie thing". (i hope he is
not into google groups!)
you know the latest intel commercial wherein a guy is sitting in the
middle of nowhere with a laptop. i think he envisions this scenario for
our office.

no to be honest about it...more production area is a mess with all the
criss-crossing lan cables. everytime someone accidentally steps or
nudge a cable from its hub outlet, several computers lose their lan
connection.

it is nice to have the freedom from wires but i really hate to lose the
speed though
thanks
July 28, 2005 1:05:34 PM

Well, honestly then, it's just a matter of assigning level of importance to
each (speed verses wiring mess) and choosing. :)

Also, although wireless will get rid of the wires, it will bring on a whole
'nother set of problems that need solutions compared to an existing wired
infrastructure (i.e. security issues, distance issues, Access point location
and power outlets, radio phone (cordless) and cell phone interference,
expense of changing over (equipment and sysadmin labor) and I'm sure others
that I can't think of at the moment.

When wireless is the only obvious choice (out in that dessert, etc) it makes
sense to take on all these additional challenges. When you have wired
alternatives, you need to make a careful comparison of pros/cons.

!