repeated installs of KB837009 security update

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Why does this update (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
Service Pack 1 (KB837009)) keep re-installing on my Windows/ME system?
Anyone else have this problem? When I go to the Windows Update webpage and
look at installation history, there are 15 instances of this update being
applied since June 29, 2005. If the source is "Automatic Update" it says it
Failed; if the source is Web site, it shows Successful (4 instances). Even
if successful, it doesn't seem to stick - every few days my
auto-windows-update tries to download it and install it again.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
Fred
8 answers Last reply
More about repeated installs kb837009 security update
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    What error message are you seeing? Have a look at the files iuhist.xml
    (in the Program Files\Windows Update\V4 folder) and "Windows Update.log"
    (in the Windows folder) for clues, mainly error codes, that might help
    establish the reason for your problems. You can get some help in decoding
    the error codes by visiting the Windows Update Trouble-shooter site
    (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/).

    Possible reasons for this problem could include having NAV running during
    the installation and that this is preventing the update installing
    correctly.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:

    > Why does this update (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
    > Service Pack 1 (KB837009)) keep re-installing on my Windows/ME system?
    > Anyone else have this problem? When I go to the Windows Update
    > webpage and look at installation history, there are 15 instances of
    > this update being applied since June 29, 2005. If the source is
    > "Automatic Update" it says it Failed; if the source is Web site, it
    > shows Successful (4 instances). Even if successful, it doesn't seem
    > to stick - every few days my auto-windows-update tries to download it
    > and install it again.
    >
    > Anyone know what's going on?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks for the response, Mike.

    I'm not actually seeing any error messages. I think auto-update actually
    tells me the patch was installed successfully. But, when I go to the update
    webpage and view the history, that's where I see that auto-updates are not
    successful.

    When I get home, I'll look into the files you suggest. Thanks again,

    Fred


    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:%237herYqkFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > What error message are you seeing? Have a look at the files iuhist.xml
    > (in the Program Files\Windows Update\V4 folder) and "Windows Update.log"
    > (in the Windows folder) for clues, mainly error codes, that might help
    > establish the reason for your problems. You can get some help in decoding
    > the error codes by visiting the Windows Update Trouble-shooter site
    > (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/).
    >
    > Possible reasons for this problem could include having NAV running during
    > the installation and that this is preventing the update installing
    > correctly.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Why does this update (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
    >> Service Pack 1 (KB837009)) keep re-installing on my Windows/ME system?
    >> Anyone else have this problem? When I go to the Windows Update
    >> webpage and look at installation history, there are 15 instances of
    >> this update being applied since June 29, 2005. If the source is
    >> "Automatic Update" it says it Failed; if the source is Web site, it
    >> shows Successful (4 instances). Even if successful, it doesn't seem
    >> to stick - every few days my auto-windows-update tries to download it
    >> and install it again.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what's going on?
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Fred,

    The error message are in the files I mentioned. Primarily in "Windows
    Update.log" which is located in the Windows folder.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Fred Todt <nospam> wrote:

    > Thanks for the response, Mike.
    >
    > I'm not actually seeing any error messages. I think auto-update
    > actually tells me the patch was installed successfully. But, when I
    > go to the update webpage and view the history, that's where I see
    > that auto-updates are not successful.
    >
    > When I get home, I'll look into the files you suggest. Thanks again,
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike, thanks for clarifying and setting me on the right path. In the
    "Windows Update.log" file, I find lines that say:

    Error IUENGINE Install Set Restore Point (Error 0x00000422)

    There is one (or more) of these lines for every instance in my "Windows
    Update installation history" that says the update Failed. Does this mean
    anything to you?

    I searched both the .xml file you mentioned and the troubleshooting website,
    and found no instances of either the above error message nor anything
    related to KB837009.

    -Fred

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:O1oNE1rkFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Fred,
    >
    > The error message are in the files I mentioned. Primarily in "Windows
    > Update.log" which is located in the Windows folder.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > Fred Todt <nospam> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the response, Mike.
    > >
    > > I'm not actually seeing any error messages. I think auto-update
    > > actually tells me the patch was installed successfully. But, when I
    > > go to the update webpage and view the history, that's where I see
    > > that auto-updates are not successful.
    > >
    > > When I get home, I'll look into the files you suggest. Thanks again,
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Fred,

    Can you make a manual system restore checkpoint? I would suggest you
    carry out the following quick check.
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    Could you create a checkpoint?
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    e) Reboot your PC
    Was the checkpoint retained?

    Your next step depends somewhat on what you find when you run the above
    test.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:

    > Mike, thanks for clarifying and setting me on the right path. In the
    > "Windows Update.log" file, I find lines that say:
    >
    > Error IUENGINE Install Set Restore Point (Error 0x00000422)
    >
    > There is one (or more) of these lines for every instance in my
    > "Windows Update installation history" that says the update Failed.
    > Does this mean anything to you?
    >
    > I searched both the .xml file you mentioned and the troubleshooting
    > website, and found no instances of either the above error message nor
    > anything related to KB837009.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Went through your steps, and found that System Restore had been disabled.
    So, I "un-disabled" it and went through your sequence successfully. In the
    meantime, I got another auto-update message about KB837009. Accepted it,
    went to the update website, saw that it failed, and successfully installed
    it from the website. Or so it said. If it doesn't stick this time, I'll be
    back! Thanks for your kind attention in this matter.
    Fred
    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:u5y55rukFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Fred,
    >
    > Can you make a manual system restore checkpoint? I would suggest you
    > carry out the following quick check.
    > a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    > b) Create a manual checkpoint
    > Could you create a checkpoint?
    > c) Delete the shortcut
    > d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
    > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > e) Reboot your PC
    > Was the checkpoint retained?
    >
    > Your next step depends somewhat on what you find when you run the above
    > test.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Mike, thanks for clarifying and setting me on the right path. In the
    > > "Windows Update.log" file, I find lines that say:
    > >
    > > Error IUENGINE Install Set Restore Point (Error 0x00000422)
    > >
    > > There is one (or more) of these lines for every instance in my
    > > "Windows Update installation history" that says the update Failed.
    > > Does this mean anything to you?
    > >
    > > I searched both the .xml file you mentioned and the troubleshooting
    > > website, and found no instances of either the above error message nor
    > > anything related to KB837009.
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Fred,

    Can you now make a system restore checkpoint? How large (in MB) is your
    C:\_RESTORE folder. To properly see this you will have to make to
    following changes in Windows Explorer (if not already done). Tools |
    Folder Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and
    UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files". Since SR was disabled
    until recently the total size should be small and well less than the
    maximum you have allowed. If not post back and I will post details of how
    to clear the folder.

    Regards,
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:

    > Went through your steps, and found that System Restore had been
    > disabled. So, I "un-disabled" it and went through your sequence
    > successfully. In the meantime, I got another auto-update message
    > about KB837009. Accepted it, went to the update website, saw that it
    > failed, and successfully installed it from the website. Or so it
    > said. If it doesn't stick this time, I'll be back! Thanks for your
    > kind attention in this matter.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike,
    Yes, I can make a system restore checkpoint.
    The size of my c:\_restore folder (including all subfolders) is 60.8MB. Not
    quite sure I understand your last sentence. Also, am not sure what maximum
    I have allowed - how could I find out? Exactly what are you getting at?!
    Now that I can make a system restore checkpoint, is this where the "next
    step" mentioned a few messages back comes into play? Sorry if I'm being
    dense. Thanks,
    Fred


    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:e0qOxP5kFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Fred,
    >
    > Can you now make a system restore checkpoint? How large (in MB) is your
    > C:\_RESTORE folder. To properly see this you will have to make to
    > following changes in Windows Explorer (if not already done). Tools |
    > Folder Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and
    > UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files". Since SR was disabled
    > until recently the total size should be small and well less than the
    > maximum you have allowed. If not post back and I will post details of how
    > to clear the folder.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Windows Update Windows