repeated installs of KB837009 security update

Why does this update (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
Service Pack 1 (KB837009)) keep re-installing on my Windows/ME system?
Anyone else have this problem? When I go to the Windows Update webpage and
look at installation history, there are 15 instances of this update being
applied since June 29, 2005. If the source is "Automatic Update" it says it
Failed; if the source is Web site, it shows Successful (4 instances). Even
if successful, it doesn't seem to stick - every few days my
auto-windows-update tries to download it and install it again.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
Fred

What error message are you seeing? Have a look at the files iuhist.xml
(in the Program Files\Windows Update\V4 folder) and "Windows Update.log"
(in the Windows folder) for clues, mainly error codes, that might help
establish the reason for your problems. You can get some help in decoding
the error codes by visiting the Windows Update Trouble-shooter site
(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/).

Possible reasons for this problem could include having NAV running during
the installation and that this is preventing the update installing
correctly.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> Why does this update (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
> Service Pack 1 (KB837009)) keep re-installing on my Windows/ME system?
> Anyone else have this problem? When I go to the Windows Update
> webpage and look at installation history, there are 15 instances of
> this update being applied since June 29, 2005. If the source is
> "Automatic Update" it says it Failed; if the source is Web site, it
> shows Successful (4 instances). Even if successful, it doesn't seem
> to stick - every few days my auto-windows-update tries to download it
> and install it again.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks for the response, Mike.

I'm not actually seeing any error messages. I think auto-update actually
tells me the patch was installed successfully. But, when I go to the update
webpage and view the history, that's where I see that auto-updates are not
successful.

When I get home, I'll look into the files you suggest. Thanks again,

Fred

> What error message are you seeing? Have a look at the files iuhist.xml
> (in the Program Files\Windows Update\V4 folder) and "Windows Update.log"
> (in the Windows folder) for clues, mainly error codes, that might help
> establish the reason for your problems. You can get some help in decoding
> the error codes by visiting the Windows Update Trouble-shooter site
> (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/).
>
> Possible reasons for this problem could include having NAV running during
> the installation and that this is preventing the update installing
> correctly.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Why does this update (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
>> Service Pack 1 (KB837009)) keep re-installing on my Windows/ME system?
>> Anyone else have this problem? When I go to the Windows Update
>> webpage and look at installation history, there are 15 instances of
>> this update being applied since June 29, 2005. If the source is
>> "Automatic Update" it says it Failed; if the source is Web site, it
>> shows Successful (4 instances). Even if successful, it doesn't seem
>> to stick - every few days my auto-windows-update tries to download it
>> and install it again.
>>
>> Anyone know what's going on?

Fred,

The error message are in the files I mentioned. Primarily in "Windows
Update.log" which is located in the Windows folder.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Fred Todt <nospam> wrote:

> Thanks for the response, Mike.
>
> I'm not actually seeing any error messages. I think auto-update
> actually tells me the patch was installed successfully. But, when I
> go to the update webpage and view the history, that's where I see
> that auto-updates are not successful.
>
> When I get home, I'll look into the files you suggest. Thanks again,

Mike, thanks for clarifying and setting me on the right path. In the
"Windows Update.log" file, I find lines that say:

Error IUENGINE Install Set Restore Point (Error 0x00000422)

There is one (or more) of these lines for every instance in my "Windows
Update installation history" that says the update Failed. Does this mean
anything to you?

I searched both the .xml file you mentioned and the troubleshooting website,
and found no instances of either the above error message nor anything
related to KB837009.

-Fred

> Fred,
>
> The error message are in the files I mentioned. Primarily in "Windows
> Update.log" which is located in the Windows folder.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Fred Todt <nospam> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the response, Mike.
> >
> > I'm not actually seeing any error messages. I think auto-update
> > actually tells me the patch was installed successfully. But, when I
> > go to the update webpage and view the history, that's where I see
> > that auto-updates are not successful.
> >
> > When I get home, I'll look into the files you suggest. Thanks again,

Fred,

Can you make a manual system restore checkpoint? I would suggest you
carry out the following quick check.
a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
b) Create a manual checkpoint
Could you create a checkpoint?
c) Delete the shortcut
d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
e) Reboot your PC
Was the checkpoint retained?

Your next step depends somewhat on what you find when you run the above
test.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> Mike, thanks for clarifying and setting me on the right path. In the
> "Windows Update.log" file, I find lines that say:
>
> Error IUENGINE Install Set Restore Point (Error 0x00000422)
>
> There is one (or more) of these lines for every instance in my
> "Windows Update installation history" that says the update Failed.
> Does this mean anything to you?
>
> I searched both the .xml file you mentioned and the troubleshooting
> website, and found no instances of either the above error message nor
> anything related to KB837009.

Went through your steps, and found that System Restore had been disabled.
So, I "un-disabled" it and went through your sequence successfully. In the
meantime, I got another auto-update message about KB837009. Accepted it,
went to the update website, saw that it failed, and successfully installed
it from the website. Or so it said. If it doesn't stick this time, I'll be
back! Thanks for your kind attention in this matter.
Fred
> Fred,
>
> Can you make a manual system restore checkpoint? I would suggest you
> carry out the following quick check.
> a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
> b) Create a manual checkpoint
> Could you create a checkpoint?
> c) Delete the shortcut
> d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
> Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
> e) Reboot your PC
> Was the checkpoint retained?
>
> Your next step depends somewhat on what you find when you run the above
> test.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike, thanks for clarifying and setting me on the right path. In the
> > "Windows Update.log" file, I find lines that say:
> >
> > Error IUENGINE Install Set Restore Point (Error 0x00000422)
> >
> > There is one (or more) of these lines for every instance in my
> > "Windows Update installation history" that says the update Failed.
> > Does this mean anything to you?
> >
> > I searched both the .xml file you mentioned and the troubleshooting
> > website, and found no instances of either the above error message nor
> > anything related to KB837009.

Fred,

Can you now make a system restore checkpoint? How large (in MB) is your
C:\_RESTORE folder. To properly see this you will have to make to
following changes in Windows Explorer (if not already done). Tools |
Folder Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and
UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files". Since SR was disabled
until recently the total size should be small and well less than the
maximum you have allowed. If not post back and I will post details of how
to clear the folder.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Fred Todt at RoadRunner <f N t O o S d PA t M AT columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> Went through your steps, and found that System Restore had been
> disabled. So, I "un-disabled" it and went through your sequence
> successfully. In the meantime, I got another auto-update message
> about KB837009. Accepted it, went to the update website, saw that it
> failed, and successfully installed it from the website. Or so it
> said. If it doesn't stick this time, I'll be back! Thanks for your
> kind attention in this matter.

Mike,
Yes, I can make a system restore checkpoint.
The size of my c:\_restore folder (including all subfolders) is 60.8MB. Not
quite sure I understand your last sentence. Also, am not sure what maximum
I have allowed - how could I find out? Exactly what are you getting at?!
Now that I can make a system restore checkpoint, is this where the "next
step" mentioned a few messages back comes into play? Sorry if I'm being
dense. Thanks,
Fred