Opening a port

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I am trying to remotely operate my main computer

I need to open Port 4899

How do you open a port with Win Me?

Thank you

Unless you have installed a firewall Win Me won't block any port, all that
is required is to have the appropriate application listening on the port
concerned. If however you have installed a firewall, and I really hope
you have done this, then you need to configure the firewall accordingly.
Likewise if you are behind a router using NAT then you need to configure
the router to forward port 4899 to the PC running Win Me.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am trying to remotely operate my main computer
>
> I need to open Port 4899
>
> How do you open a port with Win Me?
>
> Thank you

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I have my D-Link DI-524 firewall open for this port and it shows as being open

When I scan my WinMe machine via (Advance Port Scanner) it shows this port
as closed

I do not see anything else with my router other than opening the port for
traffic I can do

WinMe seems not to be able to see this opening when I try to get to the IP
address

Thank you...

"Mike M" wrote:

> Unless you have installed a firewall Win Me won't block any port, all that
> is required is to have the appropriate application listening on the port
> concerned. If however you have installed a firewall, and I really hope
> you have done this, then you need to configure the firewall accordingly.
> Likewise if you are behind a router using NAT then you need to configure
> the router to forward port 4899 to the PC running Win Me.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to remotely operate my main computer
> >
> > I need to open Port 4899
> >
> > How do you open a port with Win Me?
> >
> > Thank you

Naturally the port will be closed until you install and have running an
application that opens the port. To date you haven't mentioned what that
application might be.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have my D-Link DI-524 firewall open for this port and it shows as
> being open
>
> When I scan my WinMe machine via (Advance Port Scanner) it shows this
> port as closed
>
> I do not see anything else with my router other than opening the port
> for traffic I can do
>
> WinMe seems not to be able to see this opening when I try to get to
> the IP address

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

Sorry, Mike

I want to use a Remote Access program called Radmin
(http://www.radmin.com/products/features.html)

My goal is to be able to access my main pc (the "server") with my laptop in
my house via the wireless router

On my XP machine and router I opened the port I wanted... but on my laptop,
I get no connection to my "server", and I do not see the port I want as
being open

On my XP machine and Router opening a port was possible

Hope this clarifies things

Thanks

"Mike M" wrote:

> Naturally the port will be closed until you install and have running an
> application that opens the port. To date you haven't mentioned what that
> application might be.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have my D-Link DI-524 firewall open for this port and it shows as
> > being open
> >
> > When I scan my WinMe machine via (Advance Port Scanner) it shows this
> > port as closed
> >
> > I do not see anything else with my router other than opening the port
> > for traffic I can do
> >
> > WinMe seems not to be able to see this opening when I try to get to
> > the IP address

Fine, so until you install the necessary application used by radmin on Win
Me nothing will happen and the port will remain closed. Ports don't just
open, they need to connect to something, in this case the radmin server
that you will have installed on Win Me and have running. If you haven't
installed a radmin server on Win Me how is running radmin on another
machine going to talk to Win Me, IOW what on Win Me is going to be
listening to and talking with radmin? Whatever that is is what will open
the necessary ports.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Sorry, Mike
>
> I want to use a Remote Access program called Radmin
> (http://www.radmin.com/products/features.html)
>
> My goal is to be able to access my main pc (the "server") with my
> laptop in my house via the wireless router
>
> On my XP machine and router I opened the port I wanted... but on my
> laptop, I get no connection to my "server", and I do not see the port
> I want as being open
>
> On my XP machine and Router opening a port was possible
>
> Hope this clarifies things

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I have the "server" installed on the machine I want to use remotely

I had assumed that installing what Radmin calls "the Viewer" on my laptop
would connect to my "server"

Why would I need a "server" in two places?

Incidently, I am not hooked to Radmin...There are other programs, such as
pcAnyWhere and the like...Radmin seems to be the cheapest...It would
regardless what program I use, I still will have to resolve this issue

Thanks

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:39:03 -0700, Miles wrote:

> I have the "server" installed on the machine I want to use remotely
>
> I had assumed that installing what Radmin calls "the Viewer" on my laptop
> would connect to my "server"
>
> Why would I need a "server" in two places?

You would not need the "server" running on the Windows ME computer. You
should have the server running on the Windows XP computer, and the "viewer"
running on the Windows ME computer while you are trying to set this up. As
Mike M is trying to tell you, ports are opened by applications. Port probes
send packets to specific ports; if no application running which listens on
a port, then that port appears to be closed.

Try the following:

With the server running on the Windows XP computer, go to a command (cmd?)
prompt and type "netstat -a"; you should see the port opened by the Radmin
server.

With the viewer running on the Windows ME computer, go to a command
(MS-DOS) prompt and type "netstat -a"; you should see the port opened by
the Radmin viewer.

If you would like a slick GUI program which shows what netstat shows, try
TCPView from Sysinternals. It runs on both Windowx XP, and on Windows ME.
The bonus, on a Windows XP computer, is that TCPView also shows processes
which own the ports:

http://www.sysinternals.com/

If you are using the Windows XP firewall, you should be able to tell it to
trust your router IP address range. I use Kerio Personal Firewall on a
couple of Windows ME computers, and KPF is set to trust every IP address
from 192.168.102.0 to 192.168.102.255. My router assigns IP addresses in
that range so I don't have to tell it anything about trust.

If you are not using a software firewall, not even the Windows XP firewall,
there should be no port issues. If you are just using the laptop on a
wireless LAN within the house, you should not have to forward ports through
the router from the Internet; that would only be necessary for accessing
the Windows XP computer from the Internet side of the router.

While we are talking wireless, if you are going to use a program like
Radmin, first be sure that the server application has a strong password.
Use ever character that Radmin allows for the password. This is to keep
passersby from trying to use their own Radmin viewer to take control of
that computer.

The wireless LAN also needs protection. If it can handle WPA, use it. If
the WPA can handle AES encryption, use it. Create a key which takes up
every last one of the 63 ASCII characters permitted by WPA. If any of your
equipment lacks WPA ability, trade up for something which can handle it. If
you are using an HSI connection to the Internet, your computers are hot
targets for worms and spammers; WEP is just not up to protecting your WLAN
from hostile takeovers.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

Downloaded your suggestion (and thankfully, not another blooming registration
is required)

On my "server" I see it running and "listening"

The Server shows "No Connections" which I guess in plain English means it is
"listening"

On my "viewer" (my laptop running WinMe with what Radmin calls my "viewer"
) I see nothing close to a "Radmin" connection

I have no choices with my Viewer other than putting in the IP address I want
to get to and the port number which I am using 4899

My router is open to port 4899, which Radmin suggests I use

I would try other Remote Access Programs, but I fear I would run up against
this same #%$ problem

I have used the Radmin forum and done all the suggestions

For the life of me I cannot figure out why my laptop cannot "see" my "server"

Both machines are using the same router

The solution seems so easy, but I am missing it

Thank you

"N. Miller" wrote:

> [...]
> Radmin, first be sure that the server application has a strong password.
> Use ever character that Radmin allows for the password. This is to keep
> passersby from trying to use their own Radmin viewer to take control of
> that computer.
>
> The wireless LAN also needs protection. If it can handle WPA, use it. If
> the WPA can handle AES encryption, use it. Create a key which takes up
> every last one of the 63 ASCII characters permitted by WPA. If any of your
> equipment lacks WPA ability, trade up for something which can handle it. If
> you are using an HSI connection to the Internet, your computers are hot
> targets for worms and spammers; WEP is just not up to protecting your WLAN
> from hostile takeovers.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta

But do you have the server up and running?

The machine you wish to access (Win Me?) has to have the radmin server
installed and running. Doing this will automatically open whatever ports
that radmin uses leaving you to then configure your firewall and router
appropriately. The machine doing the accessing (your laptop?) then needs
to be running the radmin viewer and once again any firewall or router
needs to be configured accordingly.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have the "server" installed on the machine I want to use remotely
>
> I had assumed that installing what Radmin calls "the Viewer" on my
> laptop would connect to my "server"
>
> Why would I need a "server" in two places?
>
> Incidently, I am not hooked to Radmin...There are other programs,
> such as pcAnyWhere and the like...Radmin seems to be the
> cheapest...It would regardless what program I use, I still will have
> to resolve this issue

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I am going to install the "server" part and re-read Radmin's direction after
your help

I will let you know the results

Thanks for your patience and follow up

"Mike M" wrote:

> But do you have the server up and running?
>
> The machine you wish to access (Win Me?) has to have the radmin server
> installed and running. Doing this will automatically open whatever ports
> that radmin uses leaving you to then configure your firewall and router
> appropriately. The machine doing the accessing (your laptop?) then needs
> to be running the radmin viewer and once again any firewall or router
> needs to be configured accordingly.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the "server" installed on the machine I want to use remotely
> >
> > I had assumed that installing what Radmin calls "the Viewer" on my
> > laptop would connect to my "server"
> >
> > Why would I need a "server" in two places?
> >
> > Incidently, I am not hooked to Radmin...There are other programs,
> > such as pcAnyWhere and the like...Radmin seems to be the
> > cheapest...It would regardless what program I use, I still will have
> > to resolve this issue

Miles,

I look forward to reading how you get on. I've never used Radmin and am
always interested in learning about such products as there are regular
queries in these newsgroups asking for recommendations for such a product
from those who have used XP's Remote Desktop. I see Radmin offer a 30 day
free trial so may try and find the time to test it for myself.

Cheers,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am going to install the "server" part and re-read Radmin's
> direction after your help
>
> I will let you know the results
>
> Thanks for your patience and follow up

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

Take a look at this summary site if you decide to test some of these Remote
Access products:

http://www.embryodoc.org/RCPC.html

I would enjoy your feedback on these products

"Mike M" wrote:

> Miles,
>
> I look forward to reading how you get on. I've never used Radmin and am
> always interested in learning about such products as there are regular
> queries in these newsgroups asking for recommendations for such a product
> from those who have used XP's Remote Desktop. I see Radmin offer a 30 day
> free trial so may try and find the time to test it for myself.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am going to install the "server" part and re-read Radmin's
> > direction after your help
> >
> > I will let you know the results
> >
> > Thanks for your patience and follow up

"Miles" <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote..

> Incidently, I am not hooked to Radmin...There are other programs, such as
> pcAnyWhere and the like...Radmin seems to be the cheapest..

TightVNC is even cheaper. It's free. ;)

Miles,

I've just downloaded and installed Radmin v2.2 on to a Win 98SE system and
a Win Me system and successfully and without any problem taken control of
each from the other. That is with the server running on Win Me have
viewed and taken control from Win 98SE and similarly with the server
running on Win 98SE have taken control from Win Me. Both PCs were in fact
running in what are called virtual machines on this PC (which runs XP Pro)
but other than for that were for all intents and purposes two different
machines. Since both were on the LAN side of my router I didn't have to
configure the router in any way or do any port forwarding. The firewall
in use was Zone Alarm Pro and all that was necessary was to permit the
Radmin server r_server.exe to access the trusted zone (my LAN) and also to
act as a server and to allow radmin.exe to access the trusted zone.

First impression is that Radmin looks quite good.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Take a look at this summary site if you decide to test some of these
> Remote Access products:
>
> http://www.embryodoc.org/RCPC.html
>
> I would enjoy your feedback on these products

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

Just what I wanted to read!

Thanks!

:)

I am trying to clear my mind of ports and start from scratch

I know Radmin for the level I want to use should not be such a big deal

Good lord, I am not trying to plug into something so complex

Tell me this: when you double click the icon in your tray and then click
current connections, what do you see? I see No Connections

Miles

"Mike M" wrote:

> Miles,
>
> I've just downloaded and installed Radmin v2.2 on to a Win 98SE system and
> a Win Me system and successfully and without any problem taken control of
> each from the other. That is with the server running on Win Me have
> viewed and taken control from Win 98SE and similarly with the server
> running on Win 98SE have taken control from Win Me. Both PCs were in fact
> running in what are called virtual machines on this PC (which runs XP Pro)
> but other than for that were for all intents and purposes two different
> machines. Since both were on the LAN side of my router I didn't have to
> configure the router in any way or do any port forwarding. The firewall
> in use was Zone Alarm Pro and all that was necessary was to permit the
> Radmin server r_server.exe to access the trusted zone (my LAN) and also to
> act as a server and to allow radmin.exe to access the trusted zone.
>
> First impression is that Radmin looks quite good.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Take a look at this summary site if you decide to test some of these
> > Remote Access products:
> >
> > http://www.embryodoc.org/RCPC.html
> >
> > I would enjoy your feedback on these products

Miles,

> Tell me this: when you double click the icon in your tray and then
> click current connections, what do you see? I see No Connections

Correct. That's the blue server icon I assume. I have that on both
machines. Now on the client machine launch radmin.exe or rather Remote
Administrator viewer. This open the Remote Admin 2.2 viewer, I then click
the Ok that appears below the text NO LICENSE KEY, (I've only downloaded
and installed as trial to try and assist you), this opens a small window
which, since I have previously connected to the other PC shows that PC as
being available. Clicking that PC's icon then opens the password box for
the target PC (the password you entered when installing the server on the
target PC), then for a few seconds the text "Loading initial screen"
appears in a small bright blue box which pretty quickly clears and is
replaced by the desktop of the target PC.

The first time of launching the viewer no PCs will appear in the window so
instead one needs to click Connection | Connect to and enter the IP
address of the required target. What follows is now the same as when
clicking the target PC's icon if already present (see above).

Hopefully this will be of some help to you. Please Note that it is
approaching 3 a.m. here in London, UK so don't expect to return to this
newsgroup until tomorrow morning.

Oh, the blue Radmin icon remains in the systray and still shows No
connections on the PC acting as viewer (since the icon is that of the
server) however on the target PC it turns red and the Current Connections
box contains the IP address of the machine that is viewing that PC.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Just what I wanted to read!
>
> Thanks!
>
> :)
>
> I am trying to clear my mind of ports and start from scratch
>
> I know Radmin for the level I want to use should not be such a big
> deal
>
> Good lord, I am not trying to plug into something so complex
>
> Tell me this: when you double click the icon in your tray and then
> click current connections, what do you see? I see No Connections

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

Mike, good night

On my laptop I installed the Server, too (with a different IP adr)

I can view my laptop screen

On my pc serving as the Server I desire I can this desktop with the Viewer
opened on it (using a different IP adr, of course)

The problem is I cannot see my Server's screen on my laptop

Both use the same router!

"Mike M" wrote:

> Miles,
>
> > Tell me this: when you double click the icon in your tray and then
> > click current connections, what do you see? I see No Connections
>
> Correct. That's the blue server icon I assume. I have that on both
> machines. Now on the client machine launch radmin.exe or rather Remote
> Administrator viewer. This open the Remote Admin 2.2 viewer, I then click
> the Ok that appears below the text NO LICENSE KEY, (I've only downloaded
> and installed as trial to try and assist you), this opens a small window
> which, since I have previously connected to the other PC shows that PC as
> being available. Clicking that PC's icon then opens the password box for
> the target PC (the password you entered when installing the server on the
> target PC), then for a few seconds the text "Loading initial screen"
> appears in a small bright blue box which pretty quickly clears and is
> replaced by the desktop of the target PC.
>
> The first time of launching the viewer no PCs will appear in the window so
> instead one needs to click Connection | Connect to and enter the IP
> address of the required target. What follows is now the same as when
> clicking the target PC's icon if already present (see above).
>
> Hopefully this will be of some help to you. Please Note that it is
> approaching 3 a.m. here in London, UK so don't expect to return to this
> newsgroup until tomorrow morning.
>
> Oh, the blue Radmin icon remains in the systray and still shows No
> connections on the PC acting as viewer (since the icon is that of the
> server) however on the target PC it turns red and the Current Connections
> box contains the IP address of the machine that is viewing that PC.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Miles <Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Just what I wanted to read!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > :)
> >
> > I am trying to clear my mind of ports and start from scratch
> >
> > I know Radmin for the level I want to use should not be such a big
> > deal
> >
> > Good lord, I am not trying to plug into something so complex
> >
> > Tell me this: when you double click the icon in your tray and then
> > click current connections, what do you see? I see No Connections

Miles,

Mine are both using the same router but when seeing each other the router
is simply acting as a switch, that is no configuration of the router is
required as both PCs are LAN side. In my case I had the DHCP server on
the router allocate the PCs their IP addresses and I then used winipcfg to
establish the IP address that had been allocated to each PC but I could
have equally well used fixed IP addresses and would need to if wanting to
connect to a machine from the internet in which case I would also have to
configure the router to forward the appropriate port.

You refer to different IP addresses, do you mean that the PCs (laptop and
desktop) have more than one IP address allocated to them otherwise
naturally they need to be different as there would be major problems on
the network if more than one network connection was trying to use the same
IP address.

I'm pleased to read you've made some progress and can get the viewer on
the desktop PC to connect to the server on the laptop. Hopefully your
desktop PC.

Just a few MB to go on the second very big download this evening so I will
hopefully be heading for bed in a few minutes.

Best of luck,
--

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:24:03 -0700, Miles wrote:

> Downloaded your suggestion (and thankfully, not another blooming registration
> is required)
>
> On my "server" I see it running and "listening"
>
> The Server shows "No Connections" which I guess in plain English means it is
> "listening"
>
> On my "viewer" (my laptop running WinMe with what Radmin calls my "viewer"
> ) I see nothing close to a "Radmin" connection
>
> I have no choices with my Viewer other than putting in the IP address I want
> to get to and the port number which I am using 4899
>
> My router is open to port 4899, which Radmin suggests I use
>
> I would try other Remote Access Programs, but I fear I would run up against
> this same #%$ problem
>
> I have used the Radmin forum and done all the suggestions
>
> For the life of me I cannot figure out why my laptop cannot "see" my "server"
>
> Both machines are using the same router
>
> The solution seems so easy, but I am missing it
>
> Thank you

I see that Mike M has actually installed Radmin, and is trying to duplicate
what you are doing. All I can add to his efforts is to remind you that you
don't need pinholes through the router when both computers are on the LAN.
So you don't need to forward ports.

Are you running any software firewalls on the computers on the LAN? If so,
you will need to configure those to pass LAN traffic. Windows XP has a
firewall included, and I have seen it block LAN traffic if the wrong
configuration choice has been made.

TCPView; if you have Radmin running, you should be seeing some kind of
indication of what ports are listening for that application. Can you post a
copy of your TCPView readout? Use the File|Save As menu and you will get a
..txt file of the readout. It should look something like this:

TCP megumi:24 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:smtp megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:csnet-ns megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:pop3 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:135 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:143 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:1067 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:1377 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:2459 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:2612 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:5000 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:44334 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:2427 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:2458 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:2458 localhost:2459 ESTABLISHED
TCP megumi:2459 localhost:2458 ESTABLISHED
TCP hitomi:nbsession megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:80 megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:nbsession megumi:0 LISTENING
TCP megumi:2619 naomi:nbsession TIME_WAIT
TCP megumi:2630 naomi:nbsession ESTABLISHED
UDP megumi:snmp-trap *:*
UDP megumi:syslog *:*
UDP megumi:44334 *:*
UDP megumi:1031 *:*
UDP megumi:1050 *:*
UDP megumi:1071 *:*
UDP megumi:1114 *:*
UDP megumi:1235 *:*
UDP hitomi:nbname *:*
UDP hitomi:nbdatagram *:*
UDP hitomi:1900 *:*
UDP megumi:nbname *:*
UDP megumi:nbdatagram *:*
UDP megumi:1900 *:*
UDP megumi:2630 *:*

Since Radmin expects you to do something about port 4899, I would expect to
see it in the readout. Yours should be significantly different from mine,
depending on what services your computer is running. Mine was actually
longer, but I deleted a wad of BitTorrent stuff. What you see should be
close to the minimum startup. A mail server, two different networks on a
single computer ("hitomi", and "megumi"), and a LAN connection to a second
computer ("naomi"). RPCSS and UPnP (on a Windows ME computer, RPCSS seems
to be related to UPnP; on a Windows XP computer, RPCSS will also entail
some other processes). A firewall, and a browser loopback connection. That
sort of thing. Post yours and I will try to describe what I am seeing.

Meanwhile, stay on top of Mike M's thread because he is actually getting
his hands on Radmin. I have already been using LapLink since more than ten
years ago.