Help/advice please - wireless internet connection?

OK - first some advice from you knowledgeable folk
If I want to buy a device that allows me to connect to tiscali broadband in
a different part of the house (without wires) - what do I need? A wireless
LAN to the supplied device or do I need to replace the lot with some router?
The PC is a desktop (not laptop)
Any advice and recommendation for devices gratefully received
Thanks
David

> OK - first some advice from you knowledgeable folk
> If I want to buy a device that allows me to connect to tiscali broadband in
> a different part of the house (without wires) - what do I need? A wireless
> LAN to the supplied device or do I need to replace the lot with some router?
> The PC is a desktop (not laptop)
> Any advice and recommendation for devices gratefully received
> Thanks
> David

You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB
wireless adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode)
for your ethernet port.

All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but
it adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.

....You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem

Or you could just get a Wireless ADSL router and replace the supplied
device, whatever it may be ?

"o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>> OK - first some advice from you knowledgeable folk
>> If I want to buy a device that allows me to connect to tiscali broadband
>> in a different part of the house (without wires) - what do I need? A
>> wireless LAN to the supplied device or do I need to replace the lot with
>> some router? The PC is a desktop (not laptop)
>> Any advice and recommendation for devices gratefully received
>> Thanks
>> David
>
> You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
> the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB wireless
> adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode) for your
> ethernet port.
>
> All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
> probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but it
> adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.

"o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>> OK - first some advice from you knowledgeable folk
>> If I want to buy a device that allows me to connect to tiscali broadband
>> in a different part of the house (without wires) - what do I need? A
>> wireless LAN to the supplied device or do I need to replace the lot with
>> some router? The PC is a desktop (not laptop)
>> Any advice and recommendation for devices gratefully received
>> Thanks
>> David
>
> You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
> the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB wireless
> adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode) for your
> ethernet port.
>
> All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
> probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but it
> adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.

Thank-you both
Any recommendations for makes?

"Bishman" <jonathan.bishop@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> ...You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem
>
> Or you could just get a Wireless ADSL router and replace the supplied
> device, whatever it may be ?
>

> "o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>>> OK - first some advice from you knowledgeable folk
>>> If I want to buy a device that allows me to connect to tiscali broadband
>>> in a different part of the house (without wires) - what do I need? A
>>> wireless LAN to the supplied device or do I need to replace the lot with
>>> some router? The PC is a desktop (not laptop)
>>> Any advice and recommendation for devices gratefully received
>>> Thanks
>>> David
>>
>> You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
>> the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB wireless
>> adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode) for your
>> ethernet port.
>>
>> All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
>> probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but
>> it adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.

Thank-you both
Any recommendations for makes?

Yes,

After reading online reviews for 54kbs varieties it seems that Netgear come
out tops

David

"DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>>> OK - first some advice from you knowledgeable folk
>>> If I want to buy a device that allows me to connect to tiscali broadband
>>> in a different part of the house (without wires) - what do I need? A
>>> wireless LAN to the supplied device or do I need to replace the lot with
>>> some router? The PC is a desktop (not laptop)
>>> Any advice and recommendation for devices gratefully received
>>> Thanks
>>> David
>>
>> You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
>> the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB wireless
>> adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode) for your
>> ethernet port.
>>
>> All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
>> probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but
>> it adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.
>
> Thank-you both
> Any recommendations for makes?

"o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>> OK - first some advice from you knowledgeable folk
>> If I want to buy a device that allows me to connect to tiscali broadband
>> in a different part of the house (without wires) - what do I need? A
>> wireless LAN to the supplied device or do I need to replace the lot with
>> some router? The PC is a desktop (not laptop)
>> Any advice and recommendation for devices gratefully received
>> Thanks
>> David
>
> You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
> the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB wireless
> adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode) for your
> ethernet port.
>
> All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
> probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but it
> adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.

Thank-you both
Any recommendations for makes?

>>You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
>>the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB wireless
>>adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode) for your
>>ethernet port.
>>
>>All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
>>probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but it
>>adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.
>

> Thank-you both
> Any recommendations for makes?

It probably doesn't matter, but I will recommend Linksys for one reason
- I bought a wireless range extender from them, had some difficulty, and
within 4 minutes I was talking to a real person who walked me through
the setup.

But Dlink and Netgear get good reviews too. Buy online if you can,
you'll save maybe $20-50.

>>>You need a wireless router to connect to the cable/DSL modem. Then, on
>>>the desktop side, you need either: a PCI wireless card, or a USB wireless
>>>adapter, or a wireless access point (running in repeater mode) for your
>>>ethernet port.
>>>
>>>All 3 options can be about the same price. The access point option will
>>>probably provide you with the best signal and doesn't need drivers, but
>>>it adds another wire and needs to be plugged in.
>>

>> Thank-you both
>> Any recommendations for makes?
>
> It probably doesn't matter, but I will recommend Linksys for one reason -
> I bought a wireless range extender from them, had some difficulty, and
> within 4 minutes I was talking to a real person who walked me through the
> setup.
>
> But Dlink and Netgear get good reviews too. Buy online if you can, you'll
> save maybe $20-50.

Thanks - I'm in the UK but will look at Netgear or Linksys
Best

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Dave E wrote:
> Yes,
>
> After reading online reviews for 54kbs varieties it seems that Netgear come
> out tops

I have a netgear g+ (2xg = 108mbps) router (WGT624) and it's quite nice.
Personally, I'd be looking at g+ routers, especially the Netgear ones
with the XR (extended range) feature. IIRC, there are even 4 x g
(216mbps) ones available from Netgear now.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/