Windows Update

Trying to uninstall Adobe Photo that came with Adobe Reader and
receive the following error;
Run Time Error
Program C:\Windows\System\MSIEXEC.exe
abnormal program termination

From what I can ascertain, this relates to Windows Update. Can this be
fixed.

Thanks

Dan

This problem has nothing as such to do with Windows Update, msiexec.exe is
the Windows Installer which is used to install many applications both from
Microsoft and third parties.

The problem could be due to mixed file versions. I would suggest you try
reinstalling the Windows Installer. KB 324638 (see below) includes
instructions as to how to install v2.0 of the Windows Installer including
a link from which you can download a new copy (Windows Installer
Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=32831).

MS KB 324638 - "OFFXP: "The MSIEXEC.EXE File Is Linked to a Missing
Export MSI.DLL:222" Error Message When You Try to Install, Update, or
Remove a Windows Installer-Based Program"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=324638).

Note that it is ESSENTIAL that you rename or delete all copies of msi.dll
before attempting to install the Windows Installer. The KB article
explains how to do this.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mcmaltby@hotmail.com

Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

> Trying to uninstall Adobe Photo that came with Adobe Reader and
> receive the following error;
> Run Time Error
> Program C:\Windows\System\MSIEXEC.exe
> abnormal program termination
>
> From what I can ascertain, this relates to Windows Update. Can this be
> fixed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Thanks for your usual quick response, Mike. I obviously erred in
typing Update instead of Installer; I was going on memory.
Renamed the files as suggested, and installed V2.0, however this has
not solved the problem of uninstalling Adobe Photoshop Starter kit
2.0. I receive the same message as earlier mentioned;

Run Time Error
Program C:\Windows\System\MSIEXEC.exe
abnormal program termination

If you have another suggestion, I would be happy to try it, otherwise
I may just ignore the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

> This problem has nothing as such to do with Windows Update,
msiexec.exe is
> the Windows Installer which is used to install many applications
both from
> Microsoft and third parties.
>
> The problem could be due to mixed file versions. I would suggest
you try
> reinstalling the Windows Installer. KB 324638 (see below) includes
> instructions as to how to install v2.0 of the Windows Installer
including
> a link from which you can download a new copy (Windows Installer
> Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=32831).
>
> MS KB 324638 - "OFFXP: "The MSIEXEC.EXE File Is Linked to a Missing
> Export MSI.DLL:222" Error Message When You Try to Install, Update,
or
> Remove a Windows Installer-Based Program"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=324638).
>
> Note that it is ESSENTIAL that you rename or delete all copies of
msi.dll
> before attempting to install the Windows Installer. The KB article
> explains how to do this.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mcmaltby@hotmail.com
>

> Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Trying to uninstall Adobe Photo that came with Adobe Reader and
> > receive the following error;
> > Run Time Error
> > Program C:\Windows\System\MSIEXEC.exe
> > abnormal program termination
> >
> > From what I can ascertain, this relates to Windows Update. Can
this be
> > fixed.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Dan

Dan,

I've just downloaded and installed Adobe Photoshop® Album 2.0 Starter
Edition without any problem on both a clean RTM Win Me system and a fully
updated copy of Win Me. The only minor problem being that Photoshop Album
queried the older version of DirectX that is included with Win Me RTM as
that test bed has no updates installed whatsoever.

Since you've reinstalled the Windows Installer my only suggestion now
would be to eliminate a possibly corrupt download and that you should
download Acrobat 6,01 plus Photoshop Album again and then try installing
the new download.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your usual quick response, Mike. I obviously erred in
> typing Update instead of Installer; I was going on memory.
> Renamed the files as suggested, and installed V2.0, however this has
> not solved the problem of uninstalling Adobe Photoshop Starter kit
> 2.0. I receive the same message as earlier mentioned;
>
> Run Time Error
> Program C:\Windows\System\MSIEXEC.exe
> abnormal program termination
>
> If you have another suggestion, I would be happy to try it, otherwise
> I may just ignore the problem.

Makes sense. I'll try that later this evening as I'm just on my way
out for the rest of the day.
Will let you know upon my return.
Thanks Mike

Dan

> Dan,
>
> I've just downloaded and installed Adobe Photoshop® Album 2.0
Starter
> Edition without any problem on both a clean RTM Win Me system and a
fully
> updated copy of Win Me. The only minor problem being that Photoshop
Album
> queried the older version of DirectX that is included with Win Me
RTM as
> that test bed has no updates installed whatsoever.
>
> Since you've reinstalled the Windows Installer my only suggestion
now
> would be to eliminate a possibly corrupt download and that you
should
> download Acrobat 6,01 plus Photoshop Album again and then try
installing
> the new download.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your usual quick response, Mike. I obviously erred in
> > typing Update instead of Installer; I was going on memory.
> > Renamed the files as suggested, and installed V2.0, however this
has
> > not solved the problem of uninstalling Adobe Photoshop Starter kit
> > 2.0. I receive the same message as earlier mentioned;
> >
> > Run Time Error
> > Program C:\Windows\System\MSIEXEC.exe
> > abnormal program termination
> >
> > If you have another suggestion, I would be happy to try it,
otherwise
> > I may just ignore the problem.

Well that didn't work either. I uninstalled Adobe Reader and
downloaded again Adobe Reader (v6.0) coupled with Adobe Photoshop.
After rebooting, proceeded to try and uninstall Photoshop but came up
with the same RUN TIME ERROR message.
I can live with the problem. Thanks again for trying.

Dan