bios or boot failure

sidney

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

I was recently asked to install a ethernet pci card into a computer running
windows Me(compusa 128mb/20gb/350mhz) . Before starting I noticed that the
computer was not in the best of shape ie:disk cleanup or defrag hasnt been
done in awhile and a lot of unneccessary clutter was visable.

I cleaned it up as much as I could before starting, upon completing the
installation per the directions everything seemed to work fine. I opened
explorer, set it to auto detection and it went right online.

After opening AOL to detect the new modem and pci card, AOL did an update
and had to be restarted. upon restarting the system it took awhile to reboot,
which I took to be normal while it updated the system config.

Upon rebooting AOL opened again, updated and needed the system to be
restarted again.

This time it hung up on the windows logo screen. Thinking this was normal
and it needed time I went to do some other things around the house.

15 mins. later it was still on that screen. Thinking it was a glitch or
something I restarted the system and it stopped on the post screen where it
has been ever since.

Is there something that can be done to fix this?, or is it a lost cause?

Any help will be appreciated. If any other info. is needed please feel free
to ask.

Also running Norton???
try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.

If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
the easiest at present.

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
A:\> prompt.

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"sidney" <sidney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was recently asked to install a ethernet pci card into a computer running
> windows Me(compusa 128mb/20gb/350mhz) . Before starting I noticed that the
> computer was not in the best of shape ie:disk cleanup or defrag hasnt been
> done in awhile and a lot of unneccessary clutter was visable.
>
> I cleaned it up as much as I could before starting, upon completing the
> installation per the directions everything seemed to work fine. I opened
> explorer, set it to auto detection and it went right online.
>
> After opening AOL to detect the new modem and pci card, AOL did an update
> and had to be restarted. upon restarting the system it took awhile to
> reboot,
> which I took to be normal while it updated the system config.
>
> Upon rebooting AOL opened again, updated and needed the system to be
> restarted again.
>
> This time it hung up on the windows logo screen. Thinking this was normal
> and it needed time I went to do some other things around the house.
>
> 15 mins. later it was still on that screen. Thinking it was a glitch or
> something I restarted the system and it stopped on the post screen where
> it
> has been ever since.
>
> Is there something that can be done to fix this?, or is it a lost cause?
>
> Any help will be appreciated. If any other info. is needed please feel
> free
> to ask.

sidney

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

Thanks noel..

After I read your post, I tried to complete the task at hand.
But maybe I didnt explain clearly. When I turn the computer on it hangs on
the first page which shows COMPUSA logo and has at the bottom (esc-for
options and del.-for setup) I tried pushing these buttons but nothing happens.

Is It something else i could try?

Sidney..

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Also running Norton???
> try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
> the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.
>
> If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
> able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
> for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
> C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
> How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
> LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
> remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
> the easiest at present.
>
> Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
> A:\> prompt.
>
> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
>
> remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
> gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
> Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
>
> HTH
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "sidney" <sidney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was recently asked to install a ethernet pci card into a computer running
> > windows Me(compusa 128mb/20gb/350mhz) . Before starting I noticed that the
> > computer was not in the best of shape ie:disk cleanup or defrag hasnt been
> > done in awhile and a lot of unneccessary clutter was visable.
> >
> > I cleaned it up as much as I could before starting, upon completing the
> > installation per the directions everything seemed to work fine. I opened
> > explorer, set it to auto detection and it went right online.
> >
> > After opening AOL to detect the new modem and pci card, AOL did an update
> > and had to be restarted. upon restarting the system it took awhile to
> > reboot,
> > which I took to be normal while it updated the system config.
> >
> > Upon rebooting AOL opened again, updated and needed the system to be
> > restarted again.
> >
> > This time it hung up on the windows logo screen. Thinking this was normal
> > and it needed time I went to do some other things around the house.
> >
> > 15 mins. later it was still on that screen. Thinking it was a glitch or
> > something I restarted the system and it stopped on the post screen where
> > it
> > has been ever since.
> >
> > Is there something that can be done to fix this?, or is it a lost cause?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated. If any other info. is needed please feel
> > free
> > to ask.

sidney

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

"sidney" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > After opening AOL to detect the new modem and pci card, AOL did an update
> > > and had to be restarted. upon restarting the system it took awhile to
> > > reboot,
> > > which I took to be normal while it updated the system config.
> > >
> > > Upon rebooting AOL opened again, updated and needed the system to be
> > > restarted again.
> > >
> > > This time it hung up on the windows logo screen. Thinking this was normal
> > > and it needed time I went to do some other things around the house.
> > >
> > > 15 mins. later it was still on that screen. Thinking it was a glitch or
> > > something I restarted the system and it stopped on the post screen where
> > > it
> > > has been ever since.
> > >
> > > Is there something that can be done to fix this?, or is it a lost cause?
> > >
> > > Any help will be appreciated. If any other info. is needed please feel

I'd remove the network card. Then try booting again.

"sidney" <sidney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote..

> Thanks noel..
>
> After I read your post, I tried to complete the task at hand.
> But maybe I didnt explain clearly. When I turn the computer on it hangs on
> the first page which shows COMPUSA logo and has at the bottom (esc-for
> options and del.-for setup) I tried pushing these buttons but nothing
happens.

> Is It something else i could try?

This means that you have a hardware problem - there's little that you can do
now except find a reputable tech to help you solve it :(
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

--

> When I turn the computer on it hangs on
> the first page which shows COMPUSA logo and has at the bottom (esc-for
> options and del.-for setup) I tried pushing these buttons but nothing
> happens.
>
> Is It something else i could try?
>

> "sidney" wrote:
>
>> Thanks noel..
>>
>> After I read your post, I tried to complete the task at hand.
>> But maybe I didnt explain clearly. When I turn the computer on it hangs
>> on
>> the first page which shows COMPUSA logo and has at the bottom (esc-for
>> options and del.-for setup) I tried pushing these buttons but nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> Is It something else i could try?
>>
>> Sidney..
>>
>> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>>
>> > Also running Norton???
>> > try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
>> > the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes
>> > it.
>> >
>> > If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that
>> > you are
>> > able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on
>> > your PC
>> > for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
>> > C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
>> > How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
>> > LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to
>> > completely
>> > remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to
>> > be
>> > the easiest at present.
>> >
>> > Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at
>> > the
>> > A:\> prompt.
>> >
>> > ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
>> > REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
>> >
>> > remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
>> > gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to
>> > Windows
>> > Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
>> >
>> > HTH
>> >

>> > --
>> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>> >
>> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>> >
>> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>> >
>> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>> > NG's
>> >
>> > "sidney" <sidney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

sidney

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

Thanks guy's

I appreciate all the help.

"sidney" wrote:

> I was recently asked to install a ethernet pci card into a computer running
> windows Me(compusa 128mb/20gb/350mhz) . Before starting I noticed that the
> computer was not in the best of shape ie:disk cleanup or defrag hasnt been
> done in awhile and a lot of unneccessary clutter was visable.
>
> I cleaned it up as much as I could before starting, upon completing the
> installation per the directions everything seemed to work fine. I opened
> explorer, set it to auto detection and it went right online.
>
> After opening AOL to detect the new modem and pci card, AOL did an update
> and had to be restarted. upon restarting the system it took awhile to reboot,
> which I took to be normal while it updated the system config.
>
> Upon rebooting AOL opened again, updated and needed the system to be
> restarted again.
>
> This time it hung up on the windows logo screen. Thinking this was normal
> and it needed time I went to do some other things around the house.
>
> 15 mins. later it was still on that screen. Thinking it was a glitch or
> something I restarted the system and it stopped on the post screen where it
> has been ever since.
>
> Is there something that can be done to fix this?, or is it a lost cause?
>
> Any help will be appreciated. If any other info. is needed please feel free
> to ask.

Let us know the final solution, huh?

Good Luck

--

> Thanks guy's
>
> I appreciate all the help.
>
> "sidney" wrote:
>
>> I was recently asked to install a ethernet pci card into a computer
>> running
>> windows Me(compusa 128mb/20gb/350mhz) . Before starting I noticed that
>> the
>> computer was not in the best of shape ie:disk cleanup or defrag hasnt
>> been
>> done in awhile and a lot of unneccessary clutter was visable.
>>
>> I cleaned it up as much as I could before starting, upon completing the
>> installation per the directions everything seemed to work fine. I opened
>> explorer, set it to auto detection and it went right online.
>>
>> After opening AOL to detect the new modem and pci card, AOL did an
>> update
>> and had to be restarted. upon restarting the system it took awhile to
>> reboot,
>> which I took to be normal while it updated the system config.
>>
>> Upon rebooting AOL opened again, updated and needed the system to be
>> restarted again.
>>
>> This time it hung up on the windows logo screen. Thinking this was normal
>> and it needed time I went to do some other things around the house.
>>
>> 15 mins. later it was still on that screen. Thinking it was a glitch or
>> something I restarted the system and it stopped on the post screen where
>> it
>> has been ever since.
>>
>> Is there something that can be done to fix this?, or is it a lost cause?
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated. If any other info. is needed please feel
>> free
>> to ask.

sidney

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

Well I ended up reinstalling the O.S. on another hardrive.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Let us know the final solution, huh?
>
> Good Luck
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "sidney" <sidney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks guy's
> >
> > I appreciate all the help.
> >
> > "sidney" wrote:
> >
> >> I was recently asked to install a ethernet pci card into a computer
> >> running
> >> windows Me(compusa 128mb/20gb/350mhz) . Before starting I noticed that
> >> the
> >> computer was not in the best of shape ie:disk cleanup or defrag hasnt
> >> been
> >> done in awhile and a lot of unneccessary clutter was visable.
> >>
> >> I cleaned it up as much as I could before starting, upon completing the
> >> installation per the directions everything seemed to work fine. I opened
> >> explorer, set it to auto detection and it went right online.
> >>
> >> After opening AOL to detect the new modem and pci card, AOL did an
> >> update
> >> and had to be restarted. upon restarting the system it took awhile to
> >> reboot,
> >> which I took to be normal while it updated the system config.
> >>
> >> Upon rebooting AOL opened again, updated and needed the system to be
> >> restarted again.
> >>
> >> This time it hung up on the windows logo screen. Thinking this was normal
> >> and it needed time I went to do some other things around the house.
> >>
> >> 15 mins. later it was still on that screen. Thinking it was a glitch or
> >> something I restarted the system and it stopped on the post screen where
> >> it
> >> has been ever since.
> >>
> >> Is there something that can be done to fix this?, or is it a lost cause?
> >>
> >> Any help will be appreciated. If any other info. is needed please feel
> >> free
> >> to ask.

Did you check out the old HD, then - and it was goosed?

Thanks for the feedback!