Best mobo that still takes SDRAM?

We've got to get a new motherboard + CPU for my kids' machine, but I'd
rather not have to get DDR RAM on top of that. What's a decent mobo that
still uses the old SDRAM? I'd like it to run at least a 1.0 GHz CPU, don't
much care if it's AMD or Intel, and would like suggestions for something
I'd actually be able to find, please.

Anyone had to do this before?

--
chuk
3 answers Last reply

    yeah, I ended up with an ecs motherboard, but it's no longer available. you
    may try either msi or asus. they used to have matx form boards. I got mine
    at computerhq.com. I searched for "sdr" which was their abbreviation for
    sdram.

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:15:40 +0000 (UTC), cgoodin@sfu.ca (Chuk Goodin)
    wrote:

    >We've got to get a new motherboard + CPU for my kids' machine, but I'd
    >rather not have to get DDR RAM on top of that. What's a decent mobo that
    >still uses the old SDRAM? I'd like it to run at least a 1.0 GHz CPU, don't
    >much care if it's AMD or Intel, and would like suggestions for something
    >I'd actually be able to find, please.
    >
    >Anyone had to do this before?

    any Tualatin ready board with i815ep-B rev. chipset would be Ok IMHO
    (Asus Tusl-2c best, than Abit ST6(r) etc.). If having a PC133 Sdram,
    try to get also a Tuallie 1.1A & OC-it to 133 FSb-no problem at all).
    With a first mentioned board you would have a very nice & problem free
    computer!
    (The next way would be Ok also some Via Apollo Pro 133a chipset MoBo
    for Coppermine P3 CPUs, but those at 1G are too expensive ...)

    For AMD ones, if having a PC133 Sdram, you could take some brand name
    MoBo that supports Sdram & 133 Fsb & take some TBread core of
    AthlonXP or Durons 1,6 - 1,8 GHz ... Avoid boards that can take both
    types (Sdram & DDR) of memory.
    (easier to find than for older Intel platform these days)

    This all is older stuff, so you need to search around a bit or look at
    eBay ...
    --
    ˛˛ ˛˛ Regards , SPAJKY ®
    \\.//_. mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    || "Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"

    I'm going to laughed at but who cares?
    Keep your eyes open for a MSI 6309 (make sure it's Rev2.0)board. I've got
    two systems running it & it is bullet proof & with plenty of memory will run
    rings around so called better boards.
    It is will run your memory at 133 & will run Intel CPU's with a 133 clock.
    I'm pretty sure it'll take up to a P3 1.3 or so. Be careful ......... it
    won't take the Tualatin chips.
    Another good board with similar features is the Intel 810E boards. Some (or
    most) of these have pretty good on board video for ordinary useage.

    "Chuk Goodin" <cgoodin@sfu.ca> wrote in message
    > We've got to get a new motherboard + CPU for my kids' machine, but I'd
    > rather not have to get DDR RAM on top of that. What's a decent mobo that
    > still uses the old SDRAM? I'd like it to run at least a 1.0 GHz CPU, don't
    > much care if it's AMD or Intel, and would like suggestions for something
    > I'd actually be able to find, please.
    >
    > Anyone had to do this before?
    >

    > --
    > chuk