Windows Setup

In Control Panel/AddRemove Programs/Windows Setup tab, everything in that
window is gone....again!!!! Why does this keep happening and how can I fix
it? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about windows setup

    Henry <mrrandb@comcast.net> wrote:

    > In Control Panel/AddRemove Programs/Windows Setup tab, everything in
    > that window is gone....again!!!! Why does this keep happening and how
    > can I fix it? Thanks.

    This is often the result of the use of a "registry cleaner" removing
    entries from the registry. Do you see any error message when attempting
    to access Add Remove Programs | Windows Setup? For example a message
    referring to setupx?
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    First, a message says
    "Rundll32
    An error has occured in your program. To keep working anyway, click Ignore
    and save your work in a new file.
    To quit this program, click Close. You will lose information you entered
    since your last save."

    If I click on Ignore, nothing happens. If I click on Close, a message says
    "Rundll32 has caused an error in setupx.dll."

    > Henry <mrrandb@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In Control Panel/AddRemove Programs/Windows Setup tab, everything in
    > > that window is gone....again!!!! Why does this keep happening and how
    > > can I fix it? Thanks.
    >
    > This is often the result of the use of a "registry cleaner" removing
    > entries from the registry. Do you see any error message when attempting
    > to access Add Remove Programs | Windows Setup? For example a message
    > referring to setupx?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    First, a message says
    "Rundll32
    An error has occured in your program. To keep working anyway, click Ignore
    and save your work in a new file.
    To quit this program, click Close. You will lose information you entered
    since your last save."

    If I click on Ignore, nothing happens. If I click on Close, a message says
    "Rundll32 has caused an error in setupx.dll."

    > Henry <mrrandb@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In Control Panel/AddRemove Programs/Windows Setup tab, everything in
    > > that window is gone....again!!!! Why does this keep happening and how
    > > can I fix it? Thanks.
    >
    > This is often the result of the use of a "registry cleaner" removing
    > entries from the registry. Do you see any error message when attempting
    > to access Add Remove Programs | Windows Setup? For example a message
    > referring to setupx?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    The problem was fixed after I rebooted, but I installed Clipboard Viewer and
    the icon is the kind that a file has when it isn't associated with any
    program and when I click on it nothing happens.

    "Henry" <mrrandb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > In Control Panel/AddRemove Programs/Windows Setup tab, everything in that
    > window is gone....again!!!! Why does this keep happening and how can I fix
    > it? Thanks.

    If I may be allowed to interject something here:

    My problem is similar to yours but in my case the Install/Uninstall window
    is completely blank (Windows Setup tab is okay).

    I >think< it may be related to a whole lot of trouble I am having trying to
    install the most recent version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite, which I am
    still unable to install. I was at one time able to display ZoneAlarm 5.5
    (the old one) and Add/Remove did something when I invoked it (but didn't
    allow installation of ZA 6.0). Then I tried accessing "UNINSTALL ZONE LABS
    SECURITY" from Start | Programs | Zone Labs which took me through several
    steps, finally failing with some error message relating to "imsinstall.dll"
    and no other message.

    I'm sorry to have burdened the original writer with so much probably useless
    information and if you can tell me how to get something to show in the
    Install/Uninstall window I will be grateful.

    (I am awaiting some help from Zone Labs about the failure to update my
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite.)

    Ken Bland

    Ken,

    The setupx error when accessing Windows Setup and the problem you are
    having with an empty Add/Remove Programs pane have different causes. For
    your problem see MS KB 240348 - "All Installed Programs May Not Be
    Displayed in the Add/Remove Programs Tool"
    (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=240348). Whilst KB240248 doesn't
    mention Win Me the same problem exists in Win Me and the KB does apply.

    Have you tried using system restore to roll back to before your problems
    started?
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Justin Thyme <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote:

    > If I may be allowed to interject something here:
    >
    > My problem is similar to yours but in my case the Install/Uninstall
    > window is completely blank (Windows Setup tab is okay).
    >
    > I >think< it may be related to a whole lot of trouble I am having
    > trying to install the most recent version of ZoneAlarm Security
    > Suite, which I am still unable to install. I was at one time able to
    > display ZoneAlarm 5.5 (the old one) and Add/Remove did something when
    > I invoked it (but didn't allow installation of ZA 6.0). Then I tried
    > accessing "UNINSTALL ZONE LABS SECURITY" from Start | Programs | Zone
    > Labs which took me through several steps, finally failing with some
    > error message relating to "imsinstall.dll" and no other message.
    >
    > I'm sorry to have burdened the original writer with so much probably
    > useless information and if you can tell me how to get something to
    > show in the Install/Uninstall window I will be grateful.
    >
    > (I am awaiting some help from Zone Labs about the failure to update my
    > ZoneAlarm Security Suite.)

    Mike, I apologize for being so tardy with my thanks.

    System Restore did put all the programs back into the Install/Uninstall
    window. Actually, I thought I had done a restore but either I hadn't or I
    messed things up afterward. That difficulty had been resolved. (Point me
    to where I can find out just what is saved and restored if you will, please.
    I know a restore doesn't change e-mail but what else?)

    The inability to install ZA Security Suite is still with me. (I used Trend
    Micro's Housecall to check for viruses and it said everything was still
    okay; I've been without an operational virus-firewall program for a few days
    now.) I'll investigate the lead you gave me next.

    Ken Bland

    > Ken,
    >
    > The setupx error when accessing Windows Setup and the problem you are
    > having with an empty Add/Remove Programs pane have different causes. For
    > your problem see MS KB 240348 - "All Installed Programs May Not Be
    > Displayed in the Add/Remove Programs Tool"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=240348). Whilst KB240248 doesn't
    > mention Win Me the same problem exists in Win Me and the KB does apply.
    >
    > Have you tried using system restore to roll back to before your problems
    > started?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Justin Thyme <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > > If I may be allowed to interject something here:
    > >
    > > My problem is similar to yours but in my case the Install/Uninstall
    > > window is completely blank (Windows Setup tab is okay).
    > >
    > > I >think< it may be related to a whole lot of trouble I am having
    > > trying to install the most recent version of ZoneAlarm Security
    > > Suite, which I am still unable to install. I was at one time able to
    > > display ZoneAlarm 5.5 (the old one) and Add/Remove did something when
    > > I invoked it (but didn't allow installation of ZA 6.0). Then I tried
    > > accessing "UNINSTALL ZONE LABS SECURITY" from Start | Programs | Zone
    > > Labs which took me through several steps, finally failing with some
    > > error message relating to "imsinstall.dll" and no other message.
    > >
    > > I'm sorry to have burdened the original writer with so much probably
    > > useless information and if you can tell me how to get something to
    > > show in the Install/Uninstall window I will be grateful.
    > >
    > > (I am awaiting some help from Zone Labs about the failure to update my
    > > ZoneAlarm Security Suite.)

    Ken,

    System Restore ignores the contents of My Documents, Temp and Temporary
    Internet Files folders and a few other. Elsewhere is only monitors files
    with extensions in the list FileList.xml located in the
    Windows\System\Restore folder. In essence system restore has no interest
    in data files such as those with the following extensions and many more:
    txt, rtf, doc, wpd, xls, csv, pps, ppt, bmp, jpg, tif, gif, avi, mpg, wav,
    mp3, dbx, pst (message store files), etc. etc.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Justin Thyme <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote:

    > Mike, I apologize for being so tardy with my thanks.
    >
    > System Restore did put all the programs back into the
    > Install/Uninstall window. Actually, I thought I had done a restore
    > but either I hadn't or I messed things up afterward. That difficulty
    > had been resolved. (Point me to where I can find out just what is
    > saved and restored if you will, please. I know a restore doesn't
    > change e-mail but what else?)
    >
    > The inability to install ZA Security Suite is still with me. (I used
    > Trend Micro's Housecall to check for viruses and it said everything
    > was still okay; I've been without an operational virus-firewall
    > program for a few days now.) I'll investigate the lead you gave me
    > next.

Control Panel Microsoft Windows