Excruciatingly slow (at times)

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but whenever I am trying to save a
file to a location other than the default, my machine crawls along, ever so
slowly. You know, when I am using that little window that opens when I
download from a website, or when I am recording a CD to a location, or
stuff.

It also happens when I open up and try and explore the contents of my hard
disk, too.

My wife also seems to see it regularly when she's using a program called
TinyTerm to show her an emulated SCO Unix box that represents the office's
AR system where she works.

So, I ran my virus software and came up with nothing. Same with spyware
programs and such.

Now, keep in mind, the machine only seems to crawl when using the "Explorer"
function within the Operating System that is WinME.

I have other problems with the machine as well, such as mismatched hard
drive to the IDE controller. But, if that were really the problem it likely
wouldn't only occur when the operating system were just performing this one
function (or would it?).

Any pointers would be appreciated, as this affects the better half more so
than me, unfortunately.

As to time, never more than 60 seconds or so, but, when your impatient,
anything over a second can seem like an eternity. (don't try and copyright
that, because by my typing it, I just did)

I've also found a program called Larsen Task Info. It's great, but I didn't
recognize anything running out of the ordinary except for idle processes.
(But, I am NOT an expert and I do not know all that is shown there)

TIA

Mr Curious

I suspect that you have driver problems......

Reboot to Safe Mode
Open Device Manager
REMOVE all yellow or red-flagged entries
REMOVE all entries in the 'Other Devices' branch - if present

Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall any required drivers.

Reboot again to Normal Mode - then reboot back into Safe Mode - Now make a
note of ANY device drivers that are duplicated, or have yellow or red flags
against them - and another set for any that have green flags.

post back with your results.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but whenever I am trying to save
> file to a location other than the default, my machine crawls along, ever
> so
> slowly. You know, when I am using that little window that opens when I
> download from a website, or when I am recording a CD to a location, or
> stuff.
>
> It also happens when I open up and try and explore the contents of my hard
> disk, too.
>
> My wife also seems to see it regularly when she's using a program called
> TinyTerm to show her an emulated SCO Unix box that represents the office's
> AR system where she works.
>
> So, I ran my virus software and came up with nothing. Same with spyware
> programs and such.
>
> Now, keep in mind, the machine only seems to crawl when using the
> "Explorer"
> function within the Operating System that is WinME.
>
> I have other problems with the machine as well, such as mismatched hard
> drive to the IDE controller. But, if that were really the problem it
> likely
> wouldn't only occur when the operating system were just performing this
> one
> function (or would it?).
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated, as this affects the better half more so
> than me, unfortunately.
>
> As to time, never more than 60 seconds or so, but, when your impatient,
> anything over a second can seem like an eternity. (don't try and
> copyright
> that, because by my typing it, I just did)
>
> I've also found a program called Larsen Task Info. It's great, but I
> didn't
> recognize anything running out of the ordinary except for idle processes.
> (But, I am NOT an expert and I do not know all that is shown there)
>
> TIA
>
> Mr Curious

My Text of results is included within my reply. Took me a while in safe
mode to type into notepad. following your instructions explicitly, however
only road bump was under 1st reboot to normal, machine locked on splash
screen, so had to hit reset button.

> I suspect that you have driver problems......
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode
> Open Device Manager
> REMOVE all yellow or red-flagged entries
> REMOVE all entries in the 'Other Devices' branch - if present
>
> Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall any required drivers.
>
> Reboot again to Normal Mode - then reboot back into Safe Mode - Now make a
> note of ANY device drivers that are duplicated, or have yellow or red
flags
> against them - and another set for any that have green flags.
>
> post back with your results.

Under CDROM:
===============
Duplicated:
ATAPI CDROM

Triplicated:
Generic DVD RW 8XMax

Quadruplicated:
TEAC CD-W54E

Under Disk drives:
================
Duplicated:
GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 47

GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK

Quadruplicated:
IOMEGA ZIP 100

Duplicated:
WDC WD16 00JB-00EVA0

Under Hard Disk Controllers:
=================
Duplicated:
Primary IDE controller (single fifo)

Secondary IDE controller (single fifo)

Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller

Under keyboard:
================
Duplicated:
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard

Under Monitor:
================
Duplicated:
Default Monitor

Under Sound, video and game controllers:
================
Duplicated:
Gameport Joystick

Under System devices:
================
Quadruplicated:
ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

Duplicated:
Direct memory access controller

Numerica data processor

Programable interupt controller

System CMOS/real time clock

System speaker

System timer

Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:
===============
Duplicated:

USB Root Hub

VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

++++++++++++++++

Not having any duplicates nor warnings:

BTW (bluetooth controller)
Creative Miscellaneous Devices (installed SB Live)
Display Adapters (AGP 4X installed)
Floppy Disk Controllers
Modem (ext. sportster attached)
Mouse (although in "normal" mode I may get the "!")
Network Adapters (am using a PCI NIC with two [2} Ethernet jacks)
Ports
SCSI contollers (It's a VOB InstantDrive controller)

+++++++++++++++++

Thanks to anyone if they can help!!!

(Especially Noel Paton, MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but whenever I am trying to
save
> > file to a location other than the default, my machine crawls along, ever
> > so
> > slowly. You know, when I am using that little window that opens when I
> > download from a website, or when I am recording a CD to a location, or
> > stuff.
> >
> > It also happens when I open up and try and explore the contents of my
hard
> > disk, too.
> >
> > My wife also seems to see it regularly when she's using a program called
> > TinyTerm to show her an emulated SCO Unix box that represents the
office's
> > AR system where she works.
> >
> > So, I ran my virus software and came up with nothing. Same with spyware
> > programs and such.
> >
> > Now, keep in mind, the machine only seems to crawl when using the
> > "Explorer"
> > function within the Operating System that is WinME.
> >
> > I have other problems with the machine as well, such as mismatched hard
> > drive to the IDE controller. But, if that were really the problem it
> > likely
> > wouldn't only occur when the operating system were just performing this
> > one
> > function (or would it?).
> >
> > Any pointers would be appreciated, as this affects the better half more
so
> > than me, unfortunately.
> >
> > As to time, never more than 60 seconds or so, but, when your impatient,
> > anything over a second can seem like an eternity. (don't try and
> > copyright
> > that, because by my typing it, I just did)
> >
> > I've also found a program called Larsen Task Info. It's great, but I
> > didn't
> > recognize anything running out of the ordinary except for idle
processes.
> > (But, I am NOT an expert and I do not know all that is shown there)
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Mr Curious

Oh, boy!!
That looks as if at some stage, you've done a reinstall of the OS over
itself to repair a broken registry - and it's no surprise at all that you've
been having problems!!

Boot to Safe Mode - then remove the items in groups, rebooting to Normal
Mode in between groups, before booting back to Safe Mode.

CD-ROM remove all, then reboot

Disk Drives - remove ALL,
HD Controllers - remove Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
then reboot

System
- Remove ONLY the following:-
System CMOS/real time clock
System speaker
System timer
then reboot

Once you've got everything done, reboot back into Safe Mode again, and check
for duplicates again

If there's none there, go to
Start |Run
type

SCANREG /FIX

and click OK
Windows will reboot - go to Normal Mode, and see how the system behaves
then.

HTH, and good luck

--

> Oh, boy!!
> That looks as if at some stage, you've done a reinstall of the OS over
> itself to repair a broken registry - and it's no surprise at all that
you've
> been having problems!!

Oh yeah. Like 4 times I reckon?

> Boot to Safe Mode - then remove the items in groups, rebooting to Normal
> Mode in between groups, before booting back to Safe Mode.
>
> CD-ROM remove all, then reboot
>
> Disk Drives - remove ALL,
> HD Controllers - remove Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
> then reboot
>
> System
> - Remove ONLY the following:-
> System CMOS/real time clock
> System speaker
> System timer
> then reboot
>

> Once you've got everything done, reboot back into Safe Mode again, and
check
> for duplicates again
>
> If there's none there, go to
> Start |Run
> type
>
> SCANREG /FIX
>
> and click OK
> Windows will reboot - go to Normal Mode, and see how the system behaves
> then.

Will post, either way.

> HTH, and good luck
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Thanks Ted

> [...]
> >
> > System speaker
> >
> > System timer
> >
> > Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:
> > ===============
> > Duplicated:
> >
> > USB Root Hub
> >
> > VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++
> >
> > Not having any duplicates nor warnings:
> >
> > BTW (bluetooth controller)
> > Creative Miscellaneous Devices (installed SB Live)
> > Display Adapters (AGP 4X installed)
> > Floppy Disk Controllers
> > Modem (ext. sportster attached)
> > Mouse (although in "normal" mode I may get the "!")
> > Network Adapters (am using a PCI NIC with two [2} Ethernet jacks)
> > Ports
> > SCSI contollers (It's a VOB InstantDrive controller)
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++
> >
> > Thanks to anyone if they can help!!!
> >
> > (Especially Noel Paton, MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

I know the horse has bolted, but reinstalling the OS is really a last
resort, rather than a quick fix - many times it can leave the system in a
worse state than it was in before the reinstall.
Reinstalling ME over itself has its own perils - if you had IE6 installed
when you reinstalled, then it's very likely that IE no longer works
properly, as well as meaning that there's a good chance that many of the
Windows Updates were corrupted and need to be reinstalled.
we'll work on that when you've got the Device Manager sorted.

Good Luck

--

> [...]
>> >
>> > System speaker
>> >
>> > System timer
>> >
>> > Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:
>> > ===============
>> > Duplicated:
>> >
>> > USB Root Hub
>> >
>> > VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
>> >
>> > ++++++++++++++++
>> >
>> > Not having any duplicates nor warnings:
>> >
>> > BTW (bluetooth controller)
>> > Creative Miscellaneous Devices (installed SB Live)
>> > Display Adapters (AGP 4X installed)
>> > Floppy Disk Controllers
>> > Modem (ext. sportster attached)
>> > Mouse (although in "normal" mode I may get the "!")
>> > Network Adapters (am using a PCI NIC with two [2} Ethernet jacks)
>> > Ports
>> > SCSI contollers (It's a VOB InstantDrive controller)
>> >
>> > +++++++++++++++++
>> >
>> > Thanks to anyone if they can help!!!
>> >
>> > (Especially Noel Paton, MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Well Noel,

I did as instructed, and the results were confirmed in safe mode.

Curiously, I still have multiple instances of the

ACPI IRQ Holder of PCI IRQ Steering

and others under System devices.

But, I *did* remove the real time clock, speaker, and timer under this
group, successfully.

I did not have WindowsME try and look for ANY devices until I deleted the
few under System Devices. It then went on to look for devices under the USB
root hub, and did not delete the duplicates there, either.

The speed issue has not gone away, but I have *successfully* removed much of
the extra garbage under system devices.

I want to point at the system slowing down right at Nvidia, as I think my
updated downloaded driver seemed to muck up the system. Why on earth I need
a 11mb file for a simple video card, I have no idea.

So, any other suggestions, more than happy to try.

As for IE, it works fine now, but it's rarely used, just for the Mrs to get
to a secure site that only allows IE as the browser. Otherwise I don't like
it.

Sorry.

And thanks for posting back.

> I know the horse has bolted, but reinstalling the OS is really a last
> resort, rather than a quick fix - many times it can leave the system in a
> worse state than it was in before the reinstall.
> Reinstalling ME over itself has its own perils - if you had IE6 installed
> when you reinstalled, then it's very likely that IE no longer works
> properly, as well as meaning that there's a good chance that many of the
> Windows Updates were corrupted and need to be reinstalled.
> we'll work on that when you've got the Device Manager sorted.
>
> Good Luck
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Oh, boy!!
> >> That looks as if at some stage, you've done a reinstall of the OS over
> >> itself to repair a broken registry - and it's no surprise at all that
> > you've
> >> been having problems!!
> >
> > Oh yeah. Like 4 times I reckon?
> >

> >> Boot to Safe Mode - then remove the items in groups, rebooting to
Normal
> >> Mode in between groups, before booting back to Safe Mode.
> >>
> >> CD-ROM remove all, then reboot
> >>
> >> Disk Drives - remove ALL,
> >> HD Controllers - remove Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
> >> then reboot
> >>
> >> System
> >> - Remove ONLY the following:-
> >> System CMOS/real time clock
> >> System speaker
> >> System timer
> >> then reboot
> >>

> >> Once you've got everything done, reboot back into Safe Mode again, and
> > check
> >> for duplicates again
> >>
> >> If there's none there, go to
> >> Start |Run
> >> type
> >>
> >> SCANREG /FIX
> >>
> >> and click OK
> >> Windows will reboot - go to Normal Mode, and see how the system behaves
> >> then.
> >
> > Will post, either way.
> >

> >> HTH, and good luck
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>

> > Thanks Ted
> >
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > make

> > NG's

> > or

> > spyware

> > hard
> > this

> > more

> > impatient,

Oh yeah, the mouse will also take a tremendous performance hit too. That is
problematic.

(It's like the machine is thinking about something, but not doing anything)

> [...]
get
> to a secure site that only allows IE as the browser. Otherwise I don't
like
> it.
>
> Sorry.
>
> And thanks for posting back.
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > I know the horse has bolted, but reinstalling the OS is really a last
> > resort, rather than a quick fix - many times it can leave the system in
> > worse state than it was in before the reinstall.
> > Reinstalling ME over itself has its own perils - if you had IE6
installed
> > when you reinstalled, then it's very likely that IE no longer works
> > properly, as well as meaning that there's a good chance that many of the
> > Windows Updates were corrupted and need to be reinstalled.
> > we'll work on that when you've got the Device Manager sorted.

OK - we're some of the way there, now!<g>
Download and run Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com - see what it reports
about the state of your Hotfixes - list any reported as broken/missing and
go to the Windows Update Catalog and download them from there, then install
them.
Once that's done, check with Belarc that everything's OK, and then run a
full system scan of all files with your Anti-virus, and with a
spyware-killer such as Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.de), see what they report, and
post back with results.

--

> [...]
>> to a secure site that only allows IE as the browser. Otherwise I don't
> like
>> it.
>>
>> Sorry.
>>
>> And thanks for posting back.
>>

>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> > I know the horse has bolted, but reinstalling the OS is really a last
>> > resort, rather than a quick fix - many times it can leave the system in
>> > worse state than it was in before the reinstall.
>> > Reinstalling ME over itself has its own perils - if you had IE6
> installed
>> > when you reinstalled, then it's very likely that IE no longer works
>> > properly, as well as meaning that there's a good chance that many of
>> > the
>> > Windows Updates were corrupted and need to be reinstalled.
>> > we'll work on that when you've got the Device Manager sorted.

That Belarc seems pretty clever. It reminds me Kryloff's Subject Search
Spider software. Not sure what ever happened to that....

Well, I seem to be stuck on KB 891711 as I cannot get my machine to install
it, nor figure out how to find the "file" and grab it myself.

But, that was the only patch missing, all else was there. Ran the other
stuff too, it's better, I guess.

Noel, and I'll post this elsewhere too, in between the time I get my login
and after hitting my login (I use a name but no password) sometimes the
machine works, sometimes not.

Is there an EASY way to tell what drivers and nonesuch are loading at that
time as to isolate the offending piece? I mean in DOS days, hitting escape
would show you what was happening. Nowadays, I don't know what.

Thanks again for your help.

Ted

> [...]
> >> few under System Devices. It then went on to look for devices under the
> > USB
> >> root hub, and did not delete the duplicates there, either.
> >>
> >> The speed issue has not gone away, but I have *successfully* removed
much
> > of
> >> the extra garbage under system devices.
> >>
> >> I want to point at the system slowing down right at Nvidia, as I think
my
> >> updated downloaded driver seemed to muck up the system. Why on earth I
> > need
> >> a 11mb file for a simple video card, I have no idea.
> >>
> >> So, any other suggestions, more than happy to try.
> >>
> >> As for IE, it works fine now, but it's rarely used, just for the Mrs to
> > get
> >> to a secure site that only allows IE as the browser. Otherwise I don't

The fact that the 891711 patch isn't installing could be an indicator that
you're already infected with the virus that it's designed to avert.

Reboot to Safe Mode
Make sure that you have (in Folder Options) enabled viewing of Hidden AND
System Files (2 settings!), and run a full system scan of all files, using
your Anti-Virus, and also Ad-Aware (doesn't really matter which is first!)

Let us know what's found

You can download the 891711 patch from here....
Oh - no , you can't!! :( - it seems to be available only from Win ME's
Windows Update Catalog, for some reason!)
Try here, instead....
Go to Windows Update, when it's loaded, click on the 'Personalise' link on
the left - then opt to add the Windows Update Catalog to your listing....
Save, and back out to Windows Update - then click on the new link
Then click on 'Find update for ME Windows......'
Then highlight the Windows Millennium Edition entry in the dropdown
Then click on Advanced search options, and enter 891711 in the "Contains
these words" box, and click OK - you should get a single offering, which
will be the right one. Download that, reboot to Safe Mode, and install the
patch from there

See if that helps.

--

> [...]
>> Once that's done, check with Belarc that everything's OK, and then run a
>> full system scan of all files with your Anti-virus, and with a
>> spyware-killer such as Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.de), see what they report,
> and
>> post back with results.
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Oh yeah, the mouse will also take a tremendous performance hit too.
> That
>> > is
>> > problematic.
>> >
>> > (It's like the machine is thinking about something, but not doing

"Note Updates for Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98, and Windows 98
Second Edition are being made available under extended support for critical
security issues."

Not sure what that means, but no matter what, I cannot seem to grab that
file from Microsoft.

Oh well. Maybe I'll see if tucows has it.

> [...]
that
> > time as to isolate the offending piece? I mean in DOS days, hitting
> > escape
> > would show you what was happening. Nowadays, I don't know what.
> >
> > Thanks again for your help.
> >
> > Ted
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <noeldpspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> OK - we're some of the way there, now!<g>
> >> Download and run Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com - see what it
reports
> >> about the state of your Hotfixes - list any reported as broken/missing
> >> and
> >> go to the Windows Update Catalog and download them from there, then
> > install
> >> them.
> >> Once that's done, check with Belarc that everything's OK, and then run
> >> full system scan of all files with your Anti-virus, and with a

Shane

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/WindowsME-KB891711-v2-ENU_71c3336e6d7630cff2739a9d05d2eed.EXE

Shane

ng_reader wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> That Belarc seems pretty clever. It reminds me Kryloff's Subject
>>> Search Spider software. Not sure what ever happened to that....
>>>
>>> Well, I seem to be stuck on KB 891711 as I cannot get my machine to
>>> install
>>> it, nor figure out how to find the "file" and grab it myself.
>>>
>>> But, that was the only patch missing, all else was there. Ran the
>>> other stuff too, it's better, I guess.
>>>
>>> Noel, and I'll post this elsewhere too, in between the time I get
>>> my login and after hitting my login (I use a name but no password)
>>> sometimes the machine works, sometimes not.
>>>
>>> Is there an EASY way to tell what drivers and nonesuch are loading
>>> at that time as to isolate the offending piece? I mean in DOS
>>> days, hitting escape
>>> would show you what was happening. Nowadays, I don't know what.

strange - it downloaded fine for me when I followed the instructions I
posted.... use Shane's link (it's the same place in the end)

--

> [...]
>> > Spider software. Not sure what ever happened to that....
>> >
>> > Well, I seem to be stuck on KB 891711 as I cannot get my machine to
>> > install
>> > it, nor figure out how to find the "file" and grab it myself.
>> >
>> > But, that was the only patch missing, all else was there. Ran the other
>> > stuff too, it's better, I guess.
>> >
>> > Noel, and I'll post this elsewhere too, in between the time I get my
> login
>> > and after hitting my login (I use a name but no password) sometimes the
>> > machine works, sometimes not.
>> >
>> > Is there an EASY way to tell what drivers and nonesuch are loading at
> that
>> > time as to isolate the offending piece? I mean in DOS days, hitting
>> > escape
>> > would show you what was happening. Nowadays, I don't know what.

Yes, exactly. That's what I needed. How'd you do that?

Oh, nevermind. It worked.

These virii and spyware are a constant battle.

But, I think I might want to blame Sun Microsystems, and not my little video
card processor - Nvidia.

I get a very similar response from my machine whenever executing Java, it
seems. I know, write once - run anywhere, but, it really is a bit of a hog.

So, I don't know why it would affect my explorer function, but for now, I
think it do.

Ted
"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/WindowsME-KB891711-v2-ENU_71c3336e6d7630cff2739a9d05d2eed.EXE

> Shane
>

> ng_reader wrote:
> > "Note Updates for Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98, and
> > Windows 98 Second Edition are being made available under extended
> > support for critical security issues."
> >
> > Not sure what that means, but no matter what, I cannot seem to grab
> > that file from Microsoft.
> >
> > Oh well. Maybe I'll see if tucows has it.
> >
> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> The fact that the 891711 patch isn't installing could be an
> >> indicator that you're already infected with the virus that it's
> >> designed to avert.
> >>
> >> Reboot to Safe Mode
> >> Make sure that you have (in Folder Options) enabled viewing of
> >> Hidden AND System Files (2 settings!), and run a full system scan of
> >> all files, using your Anti-Virus, and also Ad-Aware (doesn't really
> >> matter which is first!)
> >>
> >> Let us know what's found
> >>
> >> You can download the 891711 patch from here....
> >> Oh - no , you can't!! :( - it seems to be available only from Win
> >> ME's Windows Update Catalog, for some reason!)
> >> Try here, instead....
> >> Go to Windows Update, when it's loaded, click on the 'Personalise'
> >> link on the left - then opt to add the Windows Update Catalog to
> >> your listing.... Save, and back out to Windows Update - then click
> >> on the new link
> >> Then click on 'Find update for ME Windows......'
> >> Then highlight the Windows Millennium Edition entry in the dropdown
> >> Then click on Advanced search options, and enter 891711 in the
> >> "Contains these words" box, and click OK - you should get a single
> >> offering, which will be the right one. Download that, reboot to Safe
> >> Mode, and install the patch from there
> >>
> >> See if that helps.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> >> NG's
> >>
> >> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > system

> > messages

> > yellow

It just would hang, and never respond. No idea why. Still don't know how
Shane got that URL, but it worked!

> Yes, exactly. That's what I needed. How'd you do that?

Start the download (from Windows Update or Windows Update Catalog), cancel
it, then look at the bottom of C:\Windows\Windows Update.log.

Shane

neat.

> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, exactly. That's what I needed. How'd you do that?
>

> Start the download (from Windows Update or Windows Update Catalog),
cancel
> it, then look at the bottom of C:\Windows\Windows Update.log.
>
> Shane

Shane

Of course you have to be able to find it, first. Searching on 891711 got 0
results. I didn't try it with the KB in front - maybe that would have worked
(it certainly should have, but I suppose you searched on that string). But
there aren't many updates for ME anymore, so I searched Critical Updates
ordered by date and there it was (including the string 891711 in the title)!

Shane

> neat.
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, exactly. That's what I needed. How'd you do that?
>>

>> Start the download (from Windows Update or Windows Update Catalog),
> cancel
>> it, then look at the bottom of C:\Windows\Windows Update.log.
>>
>> Shane

updating your scripting engine may help....
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en

--

> It just would hang, and never respond. No idea why. Still don't know how
> Shane got that URL, but it worked!
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> strange - it downloaded fine for me when I followed the instructions I
>> posted.... use Shane's link (it's the same place in the end)
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Note Updates for Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98, and Windows
> 98
>> > Second Edition are being made available under extended support for
>> > critical
>> > security issues."
>> >
>> > Not sure what that means, but no matter what, I cannot seem to grab
>> > that
>> > file from Microsoft.
>> >
>> > Oh well. Maybe I'll see if tucows has it.
>> >
>> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> AND

> listing....
> "Contains
> which

> NG's

> other

>> > login
> the

>> > that

>> > reports
> broken/missing
> run
>> > report,

>> > NG's

> too.

>> > this

>> > deleted
> under

>> > think
>> > earth

>> > don't

>> > system
>> > works
> many
>> > of

> messages

> message
> the
>> > OS
>> > all

> rebooting

>> > messages

>> > message

>> > present

> required

>> > yellow
>> > flags.

searching on 891711 worked for me, Shane - no need for the KB

--

> Of course you have to be able to find it, first. Searching on 891711 got 0
> results. I didn't try it with the KB in front - maybe that would have
> worked (it certainly should have, but I suppose you searched on that
> string). But there aren't many updates for ME anymore, so I searched
> Critical Updates ordered by date and there it was (including the string
> 891711 in the title)!
>
> Shane
>
> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> neat.
>>
>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Start the download (from Windows Update or Windows Update Catalog),
>> cancel
>>> it, then look at the bottom of C:\Windows\Windows Update.log.
>>>
>>> Shane

Shane

I really doubt this is related, but I can't save my WU preferences anymore.
I've tried it with all my security measures reversed, though it saved ok
with them in place until recently anyway.

Shane

> searching on 891711 worked for me, Shane - no need for the KB
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Of course you have to be able to find it, first. Searching on 891711 got
>> 0 results. I didn't try it with the KB in front - maybe that would have
>> worked (it certainly should have, but I suppose you searched on that
>> string). But there aren't many updates for ME anymore, so I searched
>> Critical Updates ordered by date and there it was (including the string
>> 891711 in the title)!
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> neat.
>>>
>>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> cancel

Shane

Yes, just booted ME and tried again and it worked.

Shane

Noel Paton wrote:
> searching on 891711 worked for me, Shane - no need for the KB
>

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Of course you have to be able to find it, first. Searching on 891711
>> got 0 results. I didn't try it with the KB in front - maybe that
>> would have worked (it certainly should have, but I suppose you
>> searched on that string). But there aren't many updates for ME
>> anymore, so I searched Critical Updates ordered by date and there it
>> was (including the string 891711 in the title)!
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> neat.
>>>
>>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

Tat worked, thank-you. I reckon that's not part of MS regular updates. ?

In any event, I did download and run that diskeeper lite. Hey, that worked,
I think!! I'll try and post to that thread appropriately.