USB port

I plug a USB flash drive in a USB port and the NB detects the hardware but
just hang there and failed to install the driver automatically. Can someone
advise me the possible solution.

Thanks,

Ray
3 answers Last reply
More about port

    Ray,

    Without much information to go on so just a wild guess ...

    Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
    enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
    Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
    protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
    files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
    this is the cause of your problem. Delete ONLY the 0 byte oem*.inf files.

    Why has this happened? One possibility it that you have Norton's System
    Doctor installed and forgot to disable System Doctor before updating your
    system from the Windows Update site. If you don't delete these files some
    software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very long time
    to complete if they complete at all.

    For more details see the Symantec site:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
    and also MS KB 281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
    Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281967). I would strongly recommend
    that you contact Microsoft and mention KB281967 and also KB301540 and ask
    for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then either be sent
    the file or told how and where to download a copy. There should be no
    charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.

    Alternatively do yourself and your PC a big favour and dump System Doctor
    since it causes far more problems than any non-existent benefit that
    Symantec might claim it offers.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Ray <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@GMail.com> wrote:

    > I plug a USB flash drive in a USB port and the NB detects the
    > hardware but just hang there and failed to install the driver
    > automatically. Can someone advise me the possible solution.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Mike,

    Many thanks for your advice. I looked at the inf folder but found no
    oem*.inf files. I do not have Norton system doctor but have Symantec SAVCE
    v9x program installed. I have requested Microsoft to provide the fix
    according to your instructions. Similar problem I encountered before on a
    Toshiba notebook but could not fix it. It seems USB ports do not work
    reliably on Windows ME.

    Ray

    > Ray,
    >
    > Without much information to go on so just a wild guess ...
    >
    > Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
    > enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
    > Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
    > protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
    > files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
    > this is the cause of your problem. Delete ONLY the 0 byte oem*.inf files.
    >
    > Why has this happened? One possibility it that you have Norton's System
    > Doctor installed and forgot to disable System Doctor before updating your
    > system from the Windows Update site. If you don't delete these files some
    > software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very long time
    > to complete if they complete at all.
    >
    > For more details see the Symantec site:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
    > and also MS KB 281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
    > Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281967). I would strongly recommend
    > that you contact Microsoft and mention KB281967 and also KB301540 and ask
    > for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then either be sent
    > the file or told how and where to download a copy. There should be no
    > charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.
    >
    > Alternatively do yourself and your PC a big favour and dump System Doctor
    > since it causes far more problems than any non-existent benefit that
    > Symantec might claim it offers.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Ray <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@GMail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I plug a USB flash drive in a USB port and the NB detects the
    >> hardware but just hang there and failed to install the driver
    >> automatically. Can someone advise me the possible solution.
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    I'm sorry Ray but I have never experienced any problems with USB ports
    with Win Me. Whilst you are clearly having problems I do not feel that
    you are therefore justified in saying that USB ports do not work reliably
    with Win Me. The biggest problem being that many OEM's fail to install
    Win Me correctly with the result that when a user uses a usb device the
    operating system is unable to locate the necessary files to complete the
    usb installation which are nearly all contained in BASE2.CAB of the Win Me
    cab set. Regrettably many OEMs locate the cabs in locations other than
    the default (windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install) and don't
    record this location in the registry with the result that the operating
    system is then unable to locate these files when required. This may or
    may not be the problem here although I would have expected to see an error
    message asking for the location of the cab files or similar.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Ray <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@GMail.com> wrote:

    > Many thanks for your advice. I looked at the inf folder but found no
    > oem*.inf files. I do not have Norton system doctor but have Symantec
    > SAVCE v9x program installed. I have requested Microsoft to provide
    > the fix according to your instructions. Similar problem I
    > encountered before on a Toshiba notebook but could not fix it. It
    > seems USB ports do not work reliably on Windows ME.

USB Microsoft USB Flash Windows