Computer Set Up Question

Is there anyone that is experienced in building computers who might be able
to tell me if the following set up has any potential problems in being able
to run DAOC or other online type games.

I have high-speed internet access with roadrunner

The computer I am thinking about putting together is as follows:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit

Two ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express cards

2 1 GB sticks of PC3200 DDR Ram (would more be helpful)

2 120 GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drives that will be set up to run programs
simultaneously

The rest of the computer will be pretty standard stuff DVD, CD R/W, etc.

Can anyone comment on their experience with any of the above or their
thoughts on this. Thanks in advance--skip
4 answers Last reply
More about computer question

    In article <y8J0e.38188$8D.951@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Skip says...
    > Is there anyone that is experienced in building computers who might be able
    > to tell me if the following set up has any potential problems in being able
    > to run DAOC or other online type games.
    >
    > I have high-speed internet access with roadrunner
    >
    > The computer I am thinking about putting together is as follows:
    >
    > Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
    >
    > AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit
    >
    > Two ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express cards
    >
    > 2 1 GB sticks of PC3200 DDR Ram (would more be helpful)
    >
    > 2 120 GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drives that will be set up to run programs
    > simultaneously
    >
    > The rest of the computer will be pretty standard stuff DVD, CD R/W, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone comment on their experience with any of the above or their
    > thoughts on this. Thanks in advance--skip

    It'll run it. The experience will be entirely dependeint ont he
    broadband connection because the PC spec is serious overkill. You could
    quite happily run on 1GB RAm, 1 ATI card and 1 SATA drive. I think
    you've misunderstood RAID BTW.

    --
    Conor

    Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

    Skip wrote:
    > Appreciate your response Connor--
    >
    > On another board I received this reply:
    >
    > "you might want to consider a western digital raptor or two.
    > They come in two sizes 36 and 74 gb, buy two and use raid 0(its built
    into
    > your motherboard read the manual to find out more) and the pc will be
    real
    > fast, you notice this change more than any other."
    >
    > In talking talking to the person who will be building this for me, he

    > mention that I could have two hard drives (same size and model) and
    have
    > them set up in a raid array which would allow programs to be written
    to both
    > drives, and to be used from both drives. He said that this would
    allow for
    > much faster operations. I am not sure I really understand what he's
    saying,
    > but the above comment from another board seemed to be alluding to the
    "raid
    > 0" My question, it raid 0 the same thing as setting up the two
    drives in a
    > raid array?

    Yes, 'raid 0', is 'raid'. There are different levels of raid, and the
    most common (in normal machines) is raid 0, and raid 1. Raid 0 is
    where the data is basically spread of two discs. It is basically twice
    as fast as without RAID. Raid 1 is where the data is mirrored on the
    two drives, so if a drive fails then you've still got the data on the
    other disc. RAID 0 is very fast.

[...]

    Thanks again--skip

    "Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
    > In article <y8J0e.38188$8D.951@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Skip says...
    >> Is there anyone that is experienced in building computers who might be
    >> able
    >> to tell me if the following set up has any potential problems in being
    >> able
    >> to run DAOC or other online type games.
    >>
    >> I have high-speed internet access with roadrunner
    >>
    >> The computer I am thinking about putting together is as follows:
    >>
    >> Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
    >>
    >> AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit
    >>
    >> Two ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express cards
    >>
    >> 2 1 GB sticks of PC3200 DDR Ram (would more be helpful)
    >>
    >> 2 120 GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drives that will be set up to run programs
    >> simultaneously
    >>
    >> The rest of the computer will be pretty standard stuff DVD, CD R/W, etc.
    >>
    >> Can anyone comment on their experience with any of the above or their
    >> thoughts on this. Thanks in advance--skip
    >>
    > It'll run it. The experience will be entirely dependeint ont he
    > broadband connection because the PC spec is serious overkill. You could
    > quite happily run on 1GB RAm, 1 ATI card and 1 SATA drive. I think
    > you've misunderstood RAID BTW.
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    > as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

    Thanks Connor--appreciate your help

    <petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Skip wrote:
    >> Appreciate your response Connor--
    >>
    >> On another board I received this reply:
    >>
    >> "you might want to consider a western digital raptor or two.
    >> They come in two sizes 36 and 74 gb, buy two and use raid 0(its built
    > into
    >> your motherboard read the manual to find out more) and the pc will be
    > real
    >> fast, you notice this change more than any other."
    >>
    >> In talking talking to the person who will be building this for me, he
    >
    >> mention that I could have two hard drives (same size and model) and
    > have
    >> them set up in a raid array which would allow programs to be written
    > to both
    >> drives, and to be used from both drives. He said that this would
    > allow for
    >> much faster operations. I am not sure I really understand what he's
    > saying,
    >> but the above comment from another board seemed to be alluding to the
    > "raid
    >> 0" My question, it raid 0 the same thing as setting up the two
    > drives in a
    >> raid array?
    >
    > Yes, 'raid 0', is 'raid'. There are different levels of raid, and the
    > most common (in normal machines) is raid 0, and raid 1. Raid 0 is
    > where the data is basically spread of two discs. It is basically twice
    > as fast as without RAID. Raid 1 is where the data is mirrored on the
    > two drives, so if a drive fails then you've still got the data on the
    > other disc. RAID 0 is very fast.

Homebuilt Computer Systems