Belarc advisor

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I ran the Belarc advisor and says two ME updates namely UPD323255 and
UPD811630 have failed to install. Upon clicking on the detail it takes me to
Microsoft page with the update and for Win ME it refers me to Win update and
upon running it does not find any update. What is happening and how do I go
by getting the fix if indeed not installed right. Many thanks in advace for
taking the time!

If you reinstalled Win Me over itself and these two patches had previously
been installed the updated files would have been restored to their
original version however the flags in the registry would remain as showing
the update to have been installed and thus the Windows Update (WU) site
would think the patches were present and intact. Alternatively it is
possible that the patches never installed correctly but the flags set in
the registry - it can happen although fortunately not that often. Belarc
makes a somewhat more thorough check of the system than the Windows Update
site. If WU sees the flags in the registry indicating a patch has been
installed it checks no further whereas Belarc having discovered the flag
in the registry indicating that a specific patch has been installed it
then checks that the versions of the files involved are correct.

Since the WU site believes the patches to be correct it won't offer them
to you so instead you will need to download and install them from the
Windows Update Catalogue.
(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp).
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I ran the Belarc advisor and says two ME updates namely UPD323255 and
> UPD811630 have failed to install. Upon clicking on the detail it
> takes me to Microsoft page with the update and for Win ME it refers
> me to Win update and upon running it does not find any update. What
> is happening and how do I go by getting the fix if indeed not
> installed right. Many thanks in advace for taking the time!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Mike. I did never reinstalled Win Me over itself. Does that include the
restoration? If so, during the course of purchasing the pc I have done so
many times. Also the link you posted takes me to win update again and finds
nothing. This is becoming a vicious circle now. I go to Microsoft and takes
me to win Update and win update finds nothing. How do I go by actually
getting to those two patches and installing them manually? Thanks for the
reply.

"Mike M" wrote:

> If you reinstalled Win Me over itself and these two patches had previously
> been installed the updated files would have been restored to their
> original version however the flags in the registry would remain as showing
> the update to have been installed and thus the Windows Update (WU) site
> would think the patches were present and intact. Alternatively it is
> possible that the patches never installed correctly but the flags set in
> the registry - it can happen although fortunately not that often. Belarc
> makes a somewhat more thorough check of the system than the Windows Update
> site. If WU sees the flags in the registry indicating a patch has been
> installed it checks no further whereas Belarc having discovered the flag
> in the registry indicating that a specific patch has been installed it
> then checks that the versions of the files involved are correct.
>
> Since the WU site believes the patches to be correct it won't offer them
> to you so instead you will need to download and install them from the
> Windows Update Catalogue.
> (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp).
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I ran the Belarc advisor and says two ME updates namely UPD323255 and
> > UPD811630 have failed to install. Upon clicking on the detail it
> > takes me to Microsoft page with the update and for Win ME it refers
> > me to Win update and upon running it does not find any update. What
> > is happening and how do I go by getting the fix if indeed not
> > installed right. Many thanks in advace for taking the time!

Using Win Me's system restore is not the same as reinstalling and if you
rolled your system back to before installing one or other of these patches
it should then be reoffered on visiting the Windows Update site as the
registry including the flags would also have been rolled back. You can
also access the Windows Update Catalogue from the Windows Update site but
first you need to click "Personalize Windows Update" in the left hand pane
and then in the right hand pane check "Display link to the Windows Update
Catalogue" after which you should now see it in the left hand pane as an
option.

When at the WU Catalogue click Find updates for Microsoft Windows
operating systems. Select Windows Millennium and then click Search. You
will now be offered 148 or so patches. Click Critical Updates and Service
Packs (currently 61) and then use the Mark I eyeball to locate the
required hotfixes. <vbg> You will find 323255 described as "Q323255:
Security Update (Windows Me) - (Posted Date: November 20, 2003)" and
811630 as "811630: Critical Update (Windows Me) - (Posted Date: March 18,
2003)". Add each to your basket and then download. Install each patch by
double clicking on the downloaded executable.

Best of luck,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike. I did never reinstalled Win Me over itself. Does that
> include the restoration? If so, during the course of purchasing the
> pc I have done so many times. Also the link you posted takes me to
> win update again and finds nothing. This is becoming a vicious circle
> now. I go to Microsoft and takes me to win Update and win update
> finds nothing. How do I go by actually getting to those two patches
> and installing them manually? Thanks for the reply.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Mike, you're awesome and a credit to your outfit, as usual. I did it and
thank you for your patience and taking the time. Now Belarc is cool. Thanks
again.

"Mike M" wrote:

> Using Win Me's system restore is not the same as reinstalling and if you
> rolled your system back to before installing one or other of these patches
> it should then be reoffered on visiting the Windows Update site as the
> registry including the flags would also have been rolled back. You can
> also access the Windows Update Catalogue from the Windows Update site but
> first you need to click "Personalize Windows Update" in the left hand pane
> and then in the right hand pane check "Display link to the Windows Update
> Catalogue" after which you should now see it in the left hand pane as an
> option.
>
> When at the WU Catalogue click Find updates for Microsoft Windows
> operating systems. Select Windows Millennium and then click Search. You
> will now be offered 148 or so patches. Click Critical Updates and Service
> Packs (currently 61) and then use the Mark I eyeball to locate the
> required hotfixes. <vbg> You will find 323255 described as "Q323255:
> Security Update (Windows Me) - (Posted Date: November 20, 2003)" and
> 811630 as "811630: Critical Update (Windows Me) - (Posted Date: March 18,
> 2003)". Add each to your basket and then download. Install each patch by
> double clicking on the downloaded executable.
>
> Best of luck,
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike. I did never reinstalled Win Me over itself. Does that
> > include the restoration? If so, during the course of purchasing the
> > pc I have done so many times. Also the link you posted takes me to
> > win update again and finds nothing. This is becoming a vicious circle
> > now. I go to Microsoft and takes me to win Update and win update
> > finds nothing. How do I go by actually getting to those two patches
> > and installing them manually? Thanks for the reply.

Chris,

Thanks for the feedback and yes I agree that Belarc is a most useful tool!
Thanks also for you kind words and I'm glad to have been able to help.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike, you're awesome and a credit to your outfit, as usual. I did it
> and thank you for your patience and taking the time. Now Belarc is
> cool. Thanks again.

Shane

Mike, I also agree Belarc is very useful. However, just fyi, I went to my
dad's place yesterday and I decided to do some maintenance on his machine.
In the process I ran qfecheck, which identified the 2 upnp updates as
incompletely installed (though one appears to be an update to the other,
anyway).

I updated then ran Belarc and it reported all patches as properly installed.

I then downloaded and installed the patches, after which qfecheck reported
no problems.

I was in too much of a hurry to investigate, but it appears Belarc doesn't
catch all. I wonder if it relates to upnp being disabled?

Shane

> Chris,
>
> Thanks for the feedback and yes I agree that Belarc is a most useful tool!
> Thanks also for you kind words and I'm glad to have been able to help.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Mike, you're awesome and a credit to your outfit, as usual. I did it
>> and thank you for your patience and taking the time. Now Belarc is
>> cool. Thanks again.

An interesting observation,

I wonder if Belarc confines itself to just checking file versions and that
qfecheck, an easily forgotten but useful utility, goes further and checks
not only file versions but also for the necessary updated registry
entries? However, as you say, in this case if UPnP was disabled that
might well be the reason for the differences between qfecheck and Belarc.
--
Mike

Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike, I also agree Belarc is very useful. However, just fyi, I went
> to my dad's place yesterday and I decided to do some maintenance on
> his machine. In the process I ran qfecheck, which identified the 2
> upnp updates as incompletely installed (though one appears to be an
> update to the other, anyway).
>
> I updated then ran Belarc and it reported all patches as properly
> installed.
> I then downloaded and installed the patches, after which qfecheck
> reported no problems.
>
> I was in too much of a hurry to investigate, but it appears Belarc
> doesn't catch all. I wonder if it relates to upnp being disabled?

Shane

Methinks that's one for their next build! Were one to re-enable upnp one
would obviously want it to be patched (if one had previously installed
same!). Think I'll drop them a line (unless they make it a pita to do so!).

Shane

Mike M wrote:
> An interesting observation,
>
> I wonder if Belarc confines itself to just checking file versions and
> that qfecheck, an easily forgotten but useful utility, goes further
> and checks not only file versions but also for the necessary updated
> registry entries? However, as you say, in this case if UPnP was
> disabled that might well be the reason for the differences between
> qfecheck and Belarc.
>
>> Mike, I also agree Belarc is very useful. However, just fyi, I went
>> to my dad's place yesterday and I decided to do some maintenance on
>> his machine. In the process I ran qfecheck, which identified the 2
>> upnp updates as incompletely installed (though one appears to be an
>> update to the other, anyway).
>>
>> I updated then ran Belarc and it reported all patches as properly
>> installed.
>> I then downloaded and installed the patches, after which qfecheck
>> reported no problems.
>>
>> I was in too much of a hurry to investigate, but it appears Belarc
>> doesn't catch all. I wonder if it relates to upnp being disabled?

TRENDING THREADS