Icon problems

My icons on desktop have suddenly refused to be moved, and they've changed their identities in my taskbar. Solitaire icon is now appearing in front of the DVD Shrink program, Yahoo has the winZip icon, and so forth. The icons aren't representing what they are supposed to be, although clicking on them in front of their new locations does bring up the proper program.
I checked to be sure active desktop is working; I unlocked the icons on desktop menu, but still cannot move them. They've lined up on the left side of my desktop screen, and are somehow locked and refuse to budge.

My add remove plus program, when opened, has lots of yellow exclamation marks and very few icons representing the programs.

I was losing my old hard drive a few months ago and had the entire old hard drive ghosted over to my new one. I didn't do it by myself as it needed a new motherboard and power supply, so I had the machine rebuilt by my techs whom had built my present XP machine. The ME machine is my spare.

I run AVG and its updated nightly
Sygate is the firewall. I can't find any other that seems agreeable with my system.
I've defragged weekely, run virus scan, have a multutide of maintenance programs:
AdAware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
Registry Mechanic
Window Washer
RegistryHealer

I've got all of the most recent updates that the Windows update site offers for ME. I had been running Firefox as my default browser, but even that slowed to a crawl and then eventually, would open once, and then wouldn't open at all if I closed it before shutting down for the night. I would have to reboot to get it to open a second time. It even had begun not entirely loading when first opening it, missing task bars and features.

I've since installed Maxthon as my default browser, and my machine seems happy using that.

Would you have any suggestions of anything I might try to do to try and make repairs to my icon problem before I end up having to take the machine back to the techs to try and have them figure out what might be causing this problem?
TIA.....
Bev

The "icons changing randomly to something else" is actually quite a common
problem in W98x/WinME. I developed the same problem. It started with a
couple of icons changing, then more. Then the problem got worse when the
desktop would refuse to populate with any icons at all! That is when I
found and applied the recommendations in the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q132/6/68.asp

Also.. do a google for "icons change randomly" for an exhaustive education
on the matter.

Hope this helps!
....Ogg

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote..

> .... I developed the same problem. It started with a
> couple of icons changing, then more. Then the problem got worse when the
> desktop would refuse to populate with any icons at all! That is when I
> found and applied the recommendations in the following KB article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q132/6/68.asp

Just a follow-up on MY specific case. I deleted the ShellIconCache file
that was recommended to do in the MSKB. Bootup went fine... Icons populate
fine on the desktop. But now there is no sign of the ShellIconCache file!
Interesting. According to the article, I had the impression that file was
supposed to regenerate or refresh.

Ogg,
It is my impression that the Shell Icon Cache would be
self-regenerating, as well. Have you looked again.....since a second
reboot?.....or refreshing the View in Windows Explorer?? Meantime, I will
do some checking.......
Heirloom, old and need a nap

Ogg wrote:
> "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote..
>

>>.... I developed the same problem. It started with a
>>couple of icons changing, then more. Then the problem got worse when the
>>desktop would refuse to populate with any icons at all! That is when I
>>found and applied the recommendations in the following KB article:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q132/6/68.asp
>>

> Just a follow-up on MY specific case. I deleted the ShellIconCache file
> that was recommended to do in the MSKB. Bootup went fine... Icons populate
> fine on the desktop. But now there is no sign of the ShellIconCache file!
> Interesting. According to the article, I had the impression that file was
> supposed to regenerate or refresh.

It's a Hidden file.

Also note that ShellIconCache won't regenerate until you Shutdown again
(so on your next boot you should see it).

Rick

"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote..

> It's a Hidden file.
>
> Also note that ShellIconCache won't regenerate until you Shutdown again
> (so on your next boot you should see it).

Understood. By default, I have enabled viewing of hidden files. Search
still can't find it. I have only done ONE shutdown/bootup sequence since I
deleted the file. That is, I [1] deleted the file, [2] shutdown, [3]
rebooted. No file! Interesting.

The problem is very common. Tell TWEAKUI to rebuild your icons. That might
fix it. Also, delete your icon cache.

Ogg wrote:
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote..
>

>>It's a Hidden file.
>>
>>Also note that ShellIconCache won't regenerate until you Shutdown again
>>(so on your next boot you should see it).
>

> Understood. By default, I have enabled viewing of hidden files. Search
> still can't find it. I have only done ONE shutdown/bootup sequence since I
> deleted the file. That is, I [1] deleted the file, [2] shutdown, [3]
> rebooted. No file! Interesting.

so reboot and get bored

Rick

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote..

> The problem is very common. Tell TWEAKUI to rebuild your icons. That might
> fix it. Also, delete your icon cache.

I don't use TweakUI. I think I took it off for some technical reason many
years ago. But I deleted the icon cache, and the system did NOT regenerate
ShellIconCache. Interesting, eh? Maybe it has something to do with using
16bit video setting as well as disabling "use all possible colours in icons"
???

Hey Ogg,
This may be painfully obvious and already done, but, assuming you
'unhid' the files, have you done a search for the file? Maybe it was
rebuilt somewhere else? I believe you mentioned the icons on your desktop
working okay now? If so, seems they would have to be stored
somewhere.....(just a wild hair in this ol' brain <g>).
Hmmmmmmmm, I just did a search on my machine.......I don't have one
either! (spread the rumor that the <jdbgmgr> virus is responsible, we could
revive the Teddy Bear!) Checking further now.
Heirloom, old and causes trouble

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote..
> Hey Ogg,
> This may be painfully obvious and already done, but, assuming you
> 'unhid' the files, have you done a search for the file? Maybe it was
> rebuilt somewhere else? I believe you mentioned the icons on your desktop
> working okay now? If so, seems they would have to be stored
> somewhere.....(just a wild hair in this ol' brain <g>).

The only occurence of ShellIconCache is c:\MasterME\Windows0\ShellIconCache
dated July 2001. That is a remnant of a previous "backup" by the retailer -
and obviously not the file I'm looking for.

> Hmmmmmmmm, I just did a search on my machine.......I don't have one
> either! (spread the rumor that the <jdbgmgr> virus is responsible, we
could
> revive the Teddy Bear!) Checking further now.

A-HA! You too. Excellent. Maybe the file get created only when the icon
size, rez, or colour depth changes ???

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thank you so much for your suggestions and the links to sites that had information about the icon problems I was having. I had problems finding the ShellIconCache file, but finally located it using the search option, and deleted the file thru there. I've had the "show hidden files and folders" option always checked, but still couldn't find it.
My icons are back where they should be again, and are representing the correct programs they came with. I printed out all the directions and links and will visit the registry and make the necessary changes if it occurs again. I never knew this was a common problem
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it
Bev

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:SZtHe.2440$pH4.270545@news20.bellglobal.com...
"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote..

> .... I developed the same problem. It started with a
> couple of icons changing, then more. Then the problem got worse when the
> desktop would refuse to populate with any icons at all! That is when I
> found and applied the recommendations in the following KB article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q132/6/68.asp

Just a follow-up on MY specific case. I deleted the ShellIconCache file
that was recommended to do in the MSKB. Bootup went fine... Icons populate
fine on the desktop. But now there is no sign of the ShellIconCache file!
Interesting. According to the article, I had the impression that file was
supposed to regenerate or refresh.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thank you for your suggestions. I did delete the cache file and it did the trick. :)) It was a bit hard for me to find in the usual manner, so search had to do it for me....but now, everything is how it should be.
I'll look into TweakUI. I don't have that program. I'll give it a look in the morning.
Thank you again for your help.
Bev

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message news:OtuywytlFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]

> RegistryHealer
>
> I've got all of the most recent updates that the Windows update site
offers
> for ME. I had been running Firefox as my default browser, but even that
> slowed to a crawl and then eventually, would open once, and then wouldn't
> open at all if I closed it before shutting down for the night. I would
have
> to reboot to get it to open a second time. It even had begun not entirely
>
> I've since installed Maxthon as my default browser, and my machine seems
> happy using that.
>
> Would you have any suggestions of anything I might try to do to try and
make
> repairs to my icon problem before I end up having to take the machine
back
> to the techs to try and have them figure out what might be causing this

Shane

Something else you can try is open DDispkay Properties and on the Effects
tab, toggle between Large and Default Icons.

Shane

Ogg wrote:
> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote..
>
>> The problem is very common. Tell TWEAKUI to rebuild your icons. That
>> might fix it. Also, delete your icon cache.
>
> I don't use TweakUI. I think I took it off for some technical reason
> many years ago. But I deleted the icon cache, and the system did NOT
> regenerate ShellIconCache. Interesting, eh? Maybe it has something
> to do with using 16bit video setting as well as disabling "use all
> possible colours in icons" ???

Shane

<vbg> *Display* Properties!

Shane

Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> <vbg> *Display* Properties!

Too many sherbets?
--
Mike

You can download TweakUI from Microsoft at :-
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp

Be sure to read the download/install instructions!!

Following warnings/notes reproduced with acknowledgement to the late
Koldbear

1) Do *not* change the first icon from "My Documents" on the Desktop tab
2) Do *not* uncheck: Search Results on the Desktop tab
3) Do *not* hide the Tweak UI icon on the Control Panel tab
4) Do *not* uncheck: Show Control Panel on Start Menu on the IE tab
5) Do *not* uncheck: Shell enhancements on the IE tab
6) To move "My Documents" folder, right-click on the Folder, and click
Properties.

HTH

Mart

<caroskos> wrote in message news:uigHH3xlFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]

> RegistryHealer
>
> I've got all of the most recent updates that the Windows update site
offers
> for ME. I had been running Firefox as my default browser, but even that
> slowed to a crawl and then eventually, would open once, and then wouldn't
> open at all if I closed it before shutting down for the night. I would
have
> to reboot to get it to open a second time. It even had begun not entirely
>
> I've since installed Maxthon as my default browser, and my machine seems
> happy using that.
>
> Would you have any suggestions of anything I might try to do to try and
make
> repairs to my icon problem before I end up having to take the machine
back
> to the techs to try and have them figure out what might be causing this

Shane

<vbg> Not far off, Mike! At the local shop (and elsewhere, no doubt) there's
a 3 for £10 deal on Stowells. The Chenin Blanc is most agreeable and I think
I'd better get another three today!

Shane

> Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <vbg> *Display* Properties!
>
> Too many sherbets?
> --
> Mike

Shane

Just as I was thinking 'someone needs to post the TweakUI warning!'

Shane

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
>> RegistryHealer
>>
>> I've got all of the most recent updates that the Windows update site
> offers
>> for ME. I had been running Firefox as my default browser, but even that
>> slowed to a crawl and then eventually, would open once, and then wouldn't
>> open at all if I closed it before shutting down for the night. I would
> have
>> to reboot to get it to open a second time. It even had begun not entirely
>>
>> I've since installed Maxthon as my default browser, and my machine seems
>> happy using that.
>>
>> Would you have any suggestions of anything I might try to do to try and
> make
>> repairs to my icon problem before I end up having to take the machine
> back
>> to the techs to try and have them figure out what might be causing this

<lol> As long as you don't try riding your bike after <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> <vbg> Not far off, Mike! At the local shop (and elsewhere, no doubt)
> there's a 3 for £10 deal on Stowells. The Chenin Blanc is most
> agreeable and I think I'd better get another three today!
>

> Shane

TRENDING THREADS