What's an OEM CD - WinXP?

I know what it is, but do they have a registration number or code so
it's legal and I can get updates from MicroSoft? I'm building a second
machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.

JohnS

> machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
> first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.

You should still try. A lot of times, I put together a
machine for someone, and install their WinXP and
then activate it. Say maybe 6 months later, something
goes wrong, and I have to repair that same machine
requiring a total reinstall of the same copy of WinXP.
I've found that if I just do a web re-activation, it will
fail, but if I call Microsoft, with the activation number,
they will re-activate it. Now if you are just dying to
start the worlds longest thread ( any of you ), start
blabbing to me about how the install has to stay with
the original mobo ... blah, blah, blah. I say this once
and only once. Bill Gates does not make laws. As
a consumer, I have every right under the ( REAL )
law to maintain the value of what I purchase. Meaning
.... If I go out and pay a ton of money for a copy of
WinXP, it is MINE !!!! And I intend to use it on a
single machine regardless of the hardware changes I
make to that machine.

johns

johns wrote:

>>machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
>>first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.
>

> You should still try. A lot of times, I put together a
> machine for someone, and install their WinXP and
> then activate it. Say maybe 6 months later, something
> goes wrong, and I have to repair that same machine
> requiring a total reinstall of the same copy of WinXP.
> I've found that if I just do a web re-activation, it will
> fail, but if I call Microsoft, with the activation number,
> they will re-activate it. Now if you are just dying to
> start the worlds longest thread ( any of you ), start
> blabbing to me about how the install has to stay with
> the original mobo ... blah, blah, blah. I say this once
> and only once. Bill Gates does not make laws. As
> a consumer, I have every right under the ( REAL )
> law to maintain the value of what I purchase. Meaning
> ... If I go out and pay a ton of money for a copy of
> WinXP, it is MINE !!!! And I intend to use it on a
> single machine regardless of the hardware changes I
> make to that machine.
>
> johns

I sympathize with the sentiment but you do not buy "software" (unless
you're hiring a programmer to write it for you or contracting with a
software development firm). What you purchase is a use license.

BigJim

AMEN!!!!

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> johns wrote:
>
>>>machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
>>>first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.
>>

>> You should still try. A lot of times, I put together a
>> machine for someone, and install their WinXP and
>> then activate it. Say maybe 6 months later, something
>> goes wrong, and I have to repair that same machine
>> requiring a total reinstall of the same copy of WinXP.
>> I've found that if I just do a web re-activation, it will
>> fail, but if I call Microsoft, with the activation number,
>> they will re-activate it. Now if you are just dying to
>> start the worlds longest thread ( any of you ), start
>> blabbing to me about how the install has to stay with
>> the original mobo ... blah, blah, blah. I say this once
>> and only once. Bill Gates does not make laws. As
>> a consumer, I have every right under the ( REAL )
>> law to maintain the value of what I purchase. Meaning
>> ... If I go out and pay a ton of money for a copy of
>> WinXP, it is MINE !!!! And I intend to use it on a
>> single machine regardless of the hardware changes I
>> make to that machine.
>>
>> johns
>
> I sympathize with the sentiment but you do not buy "software" (unless
> you're hiring a programmer to write it for you or contracting with a
> software development firm). What you purchase is a use license.

Into quilting? Know a quilter that needs a novel, inexpensive gift?

Please visit http://www.quigleyquotables.com/ for the latest in modern, easy
to quilt patterns.
"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> johns wrote:
>
>>>machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
>>>first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.
>>

>> You should still try. A lot of times, I put together a
>> machine for someone, and install their WinXP and
>> then activate it. Say maybe 6 months later, something
>> goes wrong, and I have to repair that same machine
>> requiring a total reinstall of the same copy of WinXP.
>> I've found that if I just do a web re-activation, it will
>> fail, but if I call Microsoft, with the activation number,
>> they will re-activate it. Now if you are just dying to
>> start the worlds longest thread ( any of you ), start
>> blabbing to me about how the install has to stay with
>> the original mobo ... blah, blah, blah. I say this once
>> and only once. Bill Gates does not make laws. As
>> a consumer, I have every right under the ( REAL )
>> law to maintain the value of what I purchase. Meaning
>> ... If I go out and pay a ton of money for a copy of
>> WinXP, it is MINE !!!! And I intend to use it on a
>> single machine regardless of the hardware changes I
>> make to that machine.
>>
>> johns
>
> I sympathize with the sentiment but you do not buy "software" (unless
> you're hiring a programmer to write it for you or contracting with a
> software development firm). What you purchase is a use license.

I think that a one time fee of $15, charged at the original point of sale
per computer, would be enough to allow Mr. Gates and Co. a fair profit. That
$15 should permit me, the end user, to update that one computer for the rest
of that computer's life.

That is to say, if Mr. Gates and Company introduce a new operating system
that will work on that computer, I should be permitted to update that
machine in perpetuity via the internet.

I am currently running seven computers in my household. I cannot and will
not pay $700 or so to license each machine's OS and then have to do the same
thing again once a new OS is introduced. An OS that I cannot do without.

My machines are used by the wife and I. Some are old machines, but they are
needed for specific tasks. I am disabled and cannot get around the house
easily. I have multiple machines in multiple locations for just this reason.

If you think this is unreasonable, consider the other devices that you use
in your daily life that are built around microprocessors. How would you feel
if you had to pay to have your automobile's OS updated every year or two?
Your microwave oven? Your entertainment center? See my point? It is time
that this constant dipping of Microsoft's hands into our pockets ended.

Bill has enough money now. It is time that we thought of the consumer.

Ed Cregger

--

sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:
> I know what it is, but do they have a registration number or code so
> it's legal and I can get updates from MicroSoft? I'm building a
second
> machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
> first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.

If you read the licience you will see that it's not transferable.

I'm thinking about buying WinXP OEM (probably Professional), and am a
bit unsure about the current requirements etc. You need to buy a
non-peripheral piece of hardware with it. So if I get a sound card, I
will be able to use the software on the machine which has the sound
card in it? How does the activation work, is there a limit to the
number of activations or something? After buying it I may not use it
for a few months, it won't expire or anything will it?

JohnS

> Bill has enough money now. It is time that we thought of the consumer.

Several "software" companies have tried to force user compliance
with buying new copies of the same software, if the machine is
updated or a new purchase is made. The Feds have told them
in court to "get bent". Bill Gates does not make laws. The User
has the right to maintain the value of his purchase.

johns

jad

.... If I go out and pay a ton of money for a copy of
> WinXP, it is MINE !!!! And I intend to use it on a
> single machine regardless of the hardware changes I
> make to that machine.

um you are misinformed

you can put your copy a XP on ANY single machine you want. Change the
machine to something completely different, NO PROBLEM. One copy of XP on
ONE (1) machine.

"johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message

> > machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
> > first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.
>
> You should still try. A lot of times, I put together a
> machine for someone, and install their WinXP and
> then activate it. Say maybe 6 months later, something
> goes wrong, and I have to repair that same machine
> requiring a total reinstall of the same copy of WinXP.
> I've found that if I just do a web re-activation, it will
> fail, but if I call Microsoft, with the activation number,
> they will re-activate it. Now if you are just dying to
> start the worlds longest thread ( any of you ), start
> blabbing to me about how the install has to stay with
> the original mobo ... blah, blah, blah. I say this once
> and only once. Bill Gates does not make laws. As
> a consumer, I have every right under the ( REAL )
> law to maintain the value of what I purchase. Meaning
> >
> johns

jad

I'm thinking about buying WinXP OEM (probably Professional), and am a
> bit unsure about the current requirements etc. You need to buy a
> non-peripheral piece of hardware with it. So if I get a sound card, I
> will be able to use the software on the machine which has the sound
> card in it?

buy it -use it, the 'buy a soundcard get an OEM version' will come to an end
soon. It's a way of selling XP as if you were buying a whole machine with XP
installed. Its skirting the rules and wont go on forever.

I know what it is, but do they have a registration number or code so
> > it's legal and I can get updates from MicroSoft? I'm building a
> second
> > machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
> > first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.

you will be found out as the first Hardware code will not match the second.
Each time a configuration is examined and a 'code' is developed, its used to
give you a unique reg number. 1 copy for 1 machine. If you change a major
component the 'code' will change and you will need a new reg number.

How does the activation work, is there a limit to the
> number of activations or something? After buying it I may not use it
> for a few months, it won't expire or anything will it?

simply NO - I suppose if your calling in 25 times a month there would be
some problems.

JAD wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying WinXP OEM (probably Professional), and am a
> > bit unsure about the current requirements etc. You need to buy a
> > non-peripheral piece of hardware with it. So if I get a sound
card, I
> > will be able to use the software on the machine which has the sound
> > card in it?
>
> buy it -use it, the 'buy a soundcard get an OEM version' will come to
an end
> soon. It's a way of selling XP as if you were buying a whole machine
with XP
> installed. Its skirting the rules and wont go on forever.

Well, it does seem silly, but it's not breaking the rules. This is
what I've read on an FAQ at :
http://www.ts2seminars.com/resources/files/PartnerInfo/SystemBuilders/Final_Mod4_Licensing.ppt

"A non-peripheral hardware component is a hardware component that is
considered to be essential to running a computer system."

"Examples include components such as memory, internal devices and
drives, mice, keyboards, and power supplies. Examples of components
that are not considered essential are scanners, printers, cameras,
external modems and networking devices."

A would say that a sound card comes under 'internal devices', doesn't
it? It is very stupid though, the retail verion is £160 more than the
OEM, and I wouldn't even use the retail benefits such as support. I've
become too dependant on M$, I'm gonna have to make a change over, and
my this my last Windows purchase.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:50:03 -0800, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>um you are misinformed
>
>you can put your copy a XP on ANY single machine you want. Change the
>machine to something completely different, NO PROBLEM. One copy of XP on
>ONE (1) machine.

With the retail version, yes. The OEM versions is supposed to stay
with the original PC it was purchased with, and I use "supposed" to
loosely because there is no way for MS to prove which PC you bought
the OEM version with so install it to any PC you like.

jad

OEM to be kept with the 'hardware purchase'.
if you didn't buy a machine then how would you keep it 'with' it?

sdeyoreo@hotmail.com writes:

> I know what it is, but do they have a registration number or code so
> it's legal and I can get updates from MicroSoft? I'm building a second
> machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
> first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.

OEM copies of Windows are intended for companies that build and sell
computers. OEM stands for "original equipment manufacturer." The OEM
gets Windows for a lower price in exchange for taking responsibility for
all support of the OS. So if you install an OEM copy of Windows, it's a
legal copy, but it's unsupported (you're the OEM, so you are responsible
for your own support). You also don't get any fancy boxes or
documentation or other frills.

Normally OEM copies of Windows are sold only to PC vendors or to people
who are buying their own components to build their own PCs. OEM copies
are not sold by themselves off the shelf in computer stores.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:56:07 +0100, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>sdeyoreo@hotmail.com writes:

>Normally OEM copies of Windows are sold only to PC vendors or to people
>who are buying their own components to build their own PCs. OEM copies
>are not sold by themselves off the shelf in computer stores.

Correct. But you can buy a cheap mouse and get an OEM copy of XP from
many stores.

David Maynard writes:

> I sympathize with the sentiment but you do not buy "software" (unless
> you're hiring a programmer to write it for you or contracting with a
> software development firm). What you purchase is a use license.

Quite so, but unless the license is written very strangely, you're
entitled to use that software on the machine for which you licensed it
no matter what hardware changes you make to the machine. Thus,
Microsoft has a legal obligation to activate the software for you, no
matter what it takes, if you make a hardware change.

If you buy an AUTHENTICLY LEGAL OEM CD of XP then, yes it will permit you to
get all Updates legally from Microsoft. The reason why it is cheaper than
the Retail version of the XP CD is that Microsoft does NOT supply any free
Telephone Support for installations using the OEM version.

--
DaveW

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:38:13 -0800, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>OEM to be kept with the 'hardware purchase'.
> if you didn't buy a machine then how would you keep it 'with' it?

Well, that's just it. OEM copies are not supposed to be sold with a
*piece* of hardware. They are supposed to be sold with a complete PC.
It's a grey area.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:07:53 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>If you buy an AUTHENTICLY LEGAL OEM CD of XP then, yes it will permit you to
>get all Updates legally from Microsoft. The reason why it is cheaper than
>the Retail version of the XP CD is that Microsoft does NOT supply any free
>Telephone Support for installations using the OEM version.
Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

Cheez, ask a simple question !
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:04:03 -0500, sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:

>I know what it is, but do they have a registration number or code so
>it's legal and I can get updates from MicroSoft? I'm building a second
>machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
>first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.

dos

"johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message

> > machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
> > first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.
>
> You should still try. A lot of times, I put together a
> machine for someone, and install their WinXP and
> then activate it. Say maybe 6 months later, something
> goes wrong, and I have to repair that same machine
> requiring a total reinstall of the same copy of WinXP.

I use Ghost to make restore cd's for the pcs I work on......

> I've found that if I just do a web re-activation, it will
> fail, but if I call Microsoft, with the activation number,
> they will re-activate it. Now if you are just dying to
> start the worlds longest thread ( any of you ), start
> blabbing to me about how the install has to stay with
> the original mobo ... blah, blah, blah. I say this once
> and only once. Bill Gates does not make laws. As
> a consumer, I have every right under the ( REAL )
> law to maintain the value of what I purchase. Meaning
> ... If I go out and pay a ton of money for a copy of
> WinXP, it is MINE !!!! And I intend to use it on a
> single machine regardless of the hardware changes I
> make to that machine.
>
> johns

JohnS

> um you are misinformed

No I'm not. Bills Law says the license is to one mobo
only. Mobo fails .. new license. Federal law says,
you but it, you have the right to maintain its value.

johns

dos

What "major component" are you refering to? I have changed several
components( hdd, graphics cards, etc) and didnt have to call MS, I hardly
think major online retailers are'skirting the rules".............

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about buying WinXP OEM (probably Professional), and am a
> > bit unsure about the current requirements etc. You need to buy a
> > non-peripheral piece of hardware with it. So if I get a sound card, I
> > will be able to use the software on the machine which has the sound
> > card in it?
>
> buy it -use it, the 'buy a soundcard get an OEM version' will come to an
end
> soon. It's a way of selling XP as if you were buying a whole machine with
XP
> installed. Its skirting the rules and wont go on forever.
>
> I know what it is, but do they have a registration number or code so
> > > it's legal and I can get updates from MicroSoft? I'm building a
> > second
> > > machine and I assume if I use my registered copy of WinXP from my
> > > first build, on a second machine, I won't be able to get updates.
>
> you will be found out as the first Hardware code will not match the
second.
> Each time a configuration is examined and a 'code' is developed, its used
> give you a unique reg number. 1 copy for 1 machine. If you change a major
> component the 'code' will change and you will need a new reg number.
>

> How does the activation work, is there a limit to the
> > number of activations or something? After buying it I may not use it
> > for a few months, it won't expire or anything will it?
>
> simply NO - I suppose if your calling in 25 times a month there would be
> some problems.
>
> <petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:
> > >>
> > If you read the licience you will see that it's not transferable.

jad

>>>What "major component" are you refering to?

Motherboard is the most common. But graphic cards have triggered the need
to web/call.

>>>I hardly think major online retailers are'skirting the rules

your kidding right?