Aquiring updates

I am about to rebuild my PC without an internet connection.
Is there anyway I can get all the latest updates to Windows ME via another
computer.
In other words, simply download and save them to a CD fo later use.
13 answers Last reply
More about aquiring updates

    Access the Windows Update Catalogue
    (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp) from
    another PC. You can also access the Windows Update Catalogue from the
    Windows Update site but first you need to click "Personalize Windows
    Update" in the left hand pane and then in the right hand pane check
    "Display link to the Windows Update Catalogue" after which you should now
    see it in the left hand pane as an option.

    When at the WU Catalogue click Find updates for Microsoft Windows
    operating systems. Select Windows Millennium and then click Search. You
    will now be offered 148 or so patches. Click Critical Updates and Service
    Packs (currently 61) and then use the Mark I eyeball to locate the
    required hotfixes. <vbg>
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    GolfGolf <abc@abc.com> wrote:

    > I am about to rebuild my PC without an internet connection.
    > Is there anyway I can get all the latest updates to Windows ME via
    > another computer.
    > In other words, simply download and save them to a CD fo later use.

    Mike
    In what sequence/order these be installed?
    Date wise or number wise ?
    Thanks.

    GolfGolf <abc@abc.com> wrote:

    > I am about to rebuild my PC without an internet connection.
    > Is there anyway I can get all the latest updates to Windows ME via
    > another computer.
    > In other words, simply download and save them to a CD fo later use.

    AAH,

    With a clean install I'd always start with 290700, I'd then go for IE6 SP1
    before installing any patches as many of those are either incorporated in
    IE6 SP1 or are different once IE has been updated. Note also that the
    Windows Update Catalogue will only provide the IE6 SP1 stub installer and
    other methods are required to download all the Win Me files for installing
    on another PC - post back if you require details of what you need to do.

    As for the critical no IE/OE patches then I'd suggest older before newer.
    What I would strongly urge is that not only 290700 is first installed by
    itself but also that not too many updates are installed at a time without
    rebooting and checking the system out for connectivity, functionality,
    etc.

    Personally I'd leave DirectX until the end and wouldn't necessarily
    recommend the installation of WMP9 but then again my dislike for that
    particular piece of software is fairly well known to many reading this
    newsgroup. Likewise the .NET Framework, if required, can be left to the
    end but if installed will then need to be updated. I'm not sure what I
    would recommend today for Java. Win Me can be upgraded to MS Java v3810
    (the last from Microsoft) and would probably recommend this, either that
    or the removal of MS Java, and that the latest Sun Java be installed.

    I'd also use regularly use the Windows Update site to check which patches
    to install during the upgrade even if I had previously downloaded all the
    patches and were making the actual installs from those downloads.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

    > Mike
    > In what sequence/order these be installed?
    > Date wise or number wise ?

    This is slightly out-of-date, as it relates to the Security Update cd and I
    couldn't be bothered to keep updating it once the cd was no longer
    available. Essentially, patches common across platforms have been superceded
    (except MDAC 2.8) while patches specifically for Win ME remain relevent as
    there haven't been many since the cd.

    Anyway, this is the order the Windows Security Update cd installs them (most
    if not all of the download links still work, too):
    http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm

    Shane

    AAH wrote:
    > Mike
    > In what sequence/order these be installed?
    > Date wise or number wise ?
    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > Access the Windows Update Catalogue
    > (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp) from
    > another PC. You can also access the Windows Update Catalogue from the
    > Windows Update site but first you need to click "Personalize Windows
    > Update" in the left hand pane and then in the right hand pane check
    > "Display link to the Windows Update Catalogue" after which you should
    > now see it in the left hand pane as an option.
    >
    > When at the WU Catalogue click Find updates for Microsoft Windows
    > operating systems. Select Windows Millennium and then click Search.
    > You will now be offered 148 or so patches. Click Critical Updates
    > and Service Packs (currently 61) and then use the Mark I eyeball to
    > locate the required hotfixes. <vbg>
    >
    >> I am about to rebuild my PC without an internet connection.
    >> Is there anyway I can get all the latest updates to Windows ME via
    >> another computer.
    >> In other words, simply download and save them to a CD fo later use.

    Shane
    Your website is very helpful, I think there is still
    a bit of scope to add up, if you can, somemore contents from
    the Windows Security Update Cd which will really provide
    a very good guide for users as some of the references on the
    Security cd may not be existing now after about 18 months.

    AAH wrote:
    > Mike
    > In what sequence/order these be installed?
    > Date wise or number wise ?
    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > Access the Windows Update Catalogue
    > (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp) from
    > another PC. You can also access the Windows Update Catalogue from the
    > Windows Update site but first you need to click "Personalize Windows
    > Update" in the left hand pane and then in the right hand pane check
    > "Display link to the Windows Update Catalogue" after which you should
    > now see it in the left hand pane as an option.
    >
    > When at the WU Catalogue click Find updates for Microsoft Windows
    > operating systems. Select Windows Millennium and then click Search.
    > You will now be offered 148 or so patches. Click Critical Updates
    > and Service Packs (currently 61) and then use the Mark I eyeball to
    > locate the required hotfixes. <vbg>
    >
    >> I am about to rebuild my PC without an internet connection.
    >> Is there anyway I can get all the latest updates to Windows ME via
    >> another computer.
    >> In other words, simply download and save them to a CD fo later use.

    Good guess. Accessibility to the Security updates will end June 30,
    2006. Here's the skinny on the whole enchilada :
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

    "
    * Paid incident support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition,
    and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) is available through June 30, 2006.
    * Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update
    site through June 30, 2006.
    * Customers may request non-critical security fixes for Windows 98,
    Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, and the most current version of
    their components until June 30, 2006 through typical assisted-support
    channels.
    * Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me downloads
    for existing security issues will continue to be available through
    regular assisted-support channels at no charge until June 30, 2006.
    * No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for
    Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on June 30, 2003.
    * No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for
    Windows Me ended on December 31, 2003.
    * Online self-help support will be available until at least June
    30, 2007. "

    Around that time the price of XP should drop due to Vista's expected
    arrival ... or, so one might wish ;)

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    AAH wrote:

    > Shane
    > Your website is very helpful, I think there is still
    > a bit of scope to add up, if you can, somemore contents from
    > the Windows Security Update Cd which will really provide
    > a very good guide for users as some of the references on the
    > Security cd may not be existing now after about 18 months.
    >
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > This is slightly out-of-date, as it relates to the Security Update cd and I
    > couldn't be bothered to keep updating it once the cd was no longer
    > available. Essentially, patches common across platforms have been superceded
    > (except MDAC 2.8) while patches specifically for Win ME remain relevent as
    > there haven't been many since the cd.
    >
    > Anyway, this is the order the Windows Security Update cd installs them (most
    > if not all of the download links still work, too):
    > http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > AAH wrote:
    >
    >>Mike
    >>In what sequence/order these be installed?
    >>Date wise or number wise ?
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    >>"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >>Access the Windows Update Catalogue
    >>(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp) from
    >>another PC. You can also access the Windows Update Catalogue from the
    >>Windows Update site but first you need to click "Personalize Windows
    >>Update" in the left hand pane and then in the right hand pane check
    >>"Display link to the Windows Update Catalogue" after which you should
    >>now see it in the left hand pane as an option.
    >>
    >>When at the WU Catalogue click Find updates for Microsoft Windows
    >>operating systems. Select Windows Millennium and then click Search.
    >>You will now be offered 148 or so patches. Click Critical Updates
    >>and Service Packs (currently 61) and then use the Mark I eyeball to
    >>locate the required hotfixes. <vbg>
    >>
    >>>I am about to rebuild my PC without an internet connection.
    >>>Is there anyway I can get all the latest updates to Windows ME via
    >>>another computer.
    >>>In other words, simply download and save them to a CD fo later use.

    We are talking about the Security Update *CD-ROM's* unavailability, Mow!
    More than a guess unless you Mow otherwise.

    Shane

    "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>In what sequence/order these be installed?
    >>>Date wise or number wise ?
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>>"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >>>Access the Windows Update Catalogue
    >>>(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp) from
    >>>another PC. You can also access the Windows Update Catalogue from the
    >>>Windows Update site but first you need to click "Personalize Windows
    >>>Update" in the left hand pane and then in the right hand pane check
    >>>"Display link to the Windows Update Catalogue" after which you should
    >>>now see it in the left hand pane as an option.
    >>>
    >>>When at the WU Catalogue click Find updates for Microsoft Windows
    >>>operating systems. Select Windows Millennium and then click Search.
    >>>You will now be offered 148 or so patches. Click Critical Updates
    >>>and Service Packs (currently 61) and then use the Mark I eyeball to

    What I could discern from AAH's post is a request for you to upload the
    updates to your site for just that reason. Which we all know can not be
    done.
    Am I making any sense yet ? ;)

    MG

    Shane wrote:

    > We are talking about the Security Update *CD-ROM's* unavailability, Mow!
    > More than a guess unless you Mow otherwise.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Good guess. Accessibility to the Security updates will end June 30, 2006.
    >>Here's the skinny on the whole enchilada :
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
    >>
    >>"
    >> * Paid incident support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
    >>Windows Millennium Edition (Me) is available through June 30, 2006.
    >> * Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update
    >>site through June 30, 2006.
    >> * Customers may request non-critical security fixes for Windows 98,
    >>Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, and the most current version of
    >>their components until June 30, 2006 through typical assisted-support
    >>channels.
    >> * Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me downloads for
    >>existing security issues will continue to be available through regular
    >>assisted-support channels at no charge until June 30, 2006.
    >> * No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows
    >>98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on June 30, 2003.
    >> * No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows
    >>Me ended on December 31, 2003.
    >> * Online self-help support will be available until at least June 30,
    >>2007. "
    >>
    >>Around that time the price of XP should drop due to Vista's expected
    >>arrival ... or, so one might wish ;)
    >>
    >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
    >>===============
    >> *-343-* FDNY
    >>Never Forgotten
    >>===============
    >>

    >>AAH wrote:
    >>

    >>>Shane
    >>>Your website is very helpful, I think there is still
    >>>a bit of scope to add up, if you can, somemore contents from
    >>>the Windows Security Update Cd which will really provide
    >>>a very good guide for users as some of the references on the
    >>>Security cd may not be existing now after about 18 months.
    >>>
    >>>"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>This is slightly out-of-date, as it relates to the Security Update cd and
    >>>couldn't be bothered to keep updating it once the cd was no longer
    >>>available. Essentially, patches common across platforms have been
    >>>superceded
    >>>(except MDAC 2.8) while patches specifically for Win ME remain relevent
    >>>as
    >>>there haven't been many since the cd.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, this is the order the Windows Security Update cd installs them
    >>>(most
    >>>if not all of the download links still work, too):
    >>>http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm
    >>>

    >>>Shane

    Maybe, Mow, but AAH does talk about it being a guide to the cd - which of
    course it was originally intended to be (there are pages about how to edit
    the various ini files for each 9x OS to avoid installing the main
    update-bones-of-contention - but it all seems so last year now, dahling!).

    What I took AAH to mean was to do what is actually already there, just
    hidden.

    As for the updates, all of the links - at least for Win ME - still work,
    both for downloads and bulletins and the updates can be initiated via that
    page with one click, so if that was what AAH meant, it would be pretty
    pointless.

    AAH, if you're reading this: he or she, that is the question? Or whether it
    is nobler to go on saying AAH said this, AAH didn't say that!

    > What I could discern from AAH's post is a request for you to upload the
    > updates to your site for just that reason. Which we all know can not be
    > done.
    > Am I making any sense yet ? ;)
    >
    > MG
    >
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> We are talking about the Security Update *CD-ROM's* unavailability, Mow!
    >> More than a guess unless you Mow otherwise.
    >>

    >> Shane
    >>

    >> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Good guess. Accessibility to the Security updates will end June 30, 2006.
    >>>Here's the skinny on the whole enchilada :
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
    >>>
    >>>"
    >>> * Paid incident support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition,
    >>> and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) is available through June 30, 2006.
    >>> * Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update
    >>> site through June 30, 2006.
    >>> * Customers may request non-critical security fixes for Windows 98,
    >>> Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, and the most current version of
    >>> their components until June 30, 2006 through typical assisted-support
    >>> channels.
    >>> * Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me downloads for
    >>> existing security issues will continue to be available through regular
    >>> assisted-support channels at no charge until June 30, 2006.
    >>> * No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows
    >>> 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on June 30, 2003.
    >>> * No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows
    >>> Me ended on December 31, 2003.
    >>> * Online self-help support will be available until at least June 30,
    >>> 2007. "
    >>>
    >>>Around that time the price of XP should drop due to Vista's expected
    >>>arrival ... or, so one might wish ;)
    >>>
    >>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
    >>>===============
    >>> *-343-* FDNY
    >>>Never Forgotten
    >>>===============

    AAH'm dyin' to find out what AAH was trying to convey that A.AHM. :)

    MG

    Shane wrote:

    > Maybe, Mow, but AAH does talk about it being a guide to the cd - which of
    > course it was originally intended to be (there are pages about how to edit
    > the various ini files for each 9x OS to avoid installing the main
    > update-bones-of-contention - but it all seems so last year now, dahling!).
    >
    > What I took AAH to mean was to do what is actually already there, just
    > hidden.
    >
    > As for the updates, all of the links - at least for Win ME - still work,
    > both for downloads and bulletins and the updates can be initiated via that
    > page with one click, so if that was what AAH meant, it would be pretty
    > pointless.
    >
    > AAH, if you're reading this: he or she, that is the question? Or whether it
    > is nobler to go on saying AAH said this, AAH didn't say that!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>What I could discern from AAH's post is a request for you to upload the
    >>updates to your site for just that reason. Which we all know can not be
    >>done.
    >>Am I making any sense yet ? ;)
    >>
    >>MG
    >>
    >>Shane wrote:
    >>

    >>>We are talking about the Security Update *CD-ROM's* unavailability, Mow!
    >>>More than a guess unless you Mow otherwise.
    >>>

    >>>Shane
    >>>

    >>>"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message

    <groan> Having a silly day Mow <g>
    Joan

    MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
    > AAH'm dyin' to find out what AAH was trying to convey that A.AHM. :)
    >
    > MG

    lol!

    > AAH'm dyin' to find out what AAH was trying to convey that A.AHM. :)
    >
    > MG
    >
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe, Mow, but AAH does talk about it being a guide to the cd - which of
    >> course it was originally intended to be (there are pages about how to
    >> edit the various ini files for each 9x OS to avoid installing the main
    >> update-bones-of-contention - but it all seems so last year now,
    >> dahling!).
    >>
    >> What I took AAH to mean was to do what is actually already there, just
    >> hidden.
    >>
    >> As for the updates, all of the links - at least for Win ME - still work,
    >> both for downloads and bulletins and the updates can be initiated via
    >> that page with one click, so if that was what AAH meant, it would be
    >> pretty pointless.
    >>
    >> AAH, if you're reading this: he or she, that is the question? Or whether
    >> it is nobler to go on saying AAH said this, AAH didn't say that!
    >>

    >> Shane
    >>

    >> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What I could discern from AAH's post is a request for you to upload the
    >>>updates to your site for just that reason. Which we all know can not be
    >>>done.
    >>>Am I making any sense yet ? ;)
    >>>
    >>>MG

    I recently did a fresh Windows Me install using the updates linked to on
    www.mdgx.com. There, you can find useful hotfixes and add-on's as well.

    Generally, installing them from oldest to latest works well. There are a
    few updates that need to be installed in a certain order and the site lists
    the instructions for that. I used most all of the Critical Me updates, IE
    updates, Me add-on's, Direct X add-on's, and WMP updates. It's all there.
    When I finally actually went to Windows Update the ones there had been
    already installed, but since with some of them using unofficial methods to
    install them had not made the registry entries to make Windows Update aware I
    had them. I just let Windows Update reinstall them to make it happy!

    My order -

    Motherboard chipset and USB 2.0 drivers
    System Restore fix
    IE SP1
    Dx 9.0c
    DotNET 1.1 and the SP for it
    The Dx update for managed code
    ATI Catalysts
    JavaVM3810
    WMP7.1, WMP7.1 Bonus Pack, WMEncoder 7.1
    Works Suite 2005
    WMP 9
    Cyberlink Mp3 PowerPack Encoder for WMP9
    All the Critical Me updates
    All the IE updates
    Most of the Me add-ons
    The WMP codec updates
    Install my soundcard, modem, printer, scanner, Ethernet card
    Install ZoneAlarm
    Plug in my cable modem
    Go to office update
    Go to Windows Update
    Install Firefox, Thunderbird, SunJava 1.5, Acrobat Reader, Flash, Shockwave,
    Quicktime, RealPlayer(careful to turn off all messages, tray stuff, and
    uncheck all but Real and Quicktime file types in these players or they'll be
    pests)

    Hey, it works for me!
    --
    Dennis
    Asus A7V880 AthlonXP3200+ Radeon9600XT M-Audio Revo7.1

Internet Connection Windows Product