uninstall windows me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

I installed windows me on my laptop. I need to uninstall windows me and
reinstall '98. I don't have the option through the control panel add/remove
programs. I remember having done this on my pc some months ago, but can't
remember how! I can't get the c: prompt to format the HDD. I've got an
external floppy disk drive. I've tried starting up the laptop with the win
'98 boot disk in, with no luck. Tried with a windows me boot disk in, again
no luck.

What do I do?

Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

Peter,

You cannot uninstall an operating system unless you a) installed the
operating system as an upgrade over a previous operating system, b) chose
to retain that previous operating system when you upgraded, and, c) have
not since deleted the uninstall files and those of the previous OS that
would have been saved as part of b).

If Uninstall Win Me does not appear in Add/Remove Programs either b) or c)
is no longer true. Your next step rather depends on what you next intend
to do but booting to DOS using a boot floppy and using the FORMAT command
will reformat your hard disk, or at least your C: drive, and remove all
usable traces of Win Me.

See also KB255867 - "How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to
Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255867).

You don't want to get to a C:\> prompt but instead an A:\> prompt after
which you can then format C:
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com