approx $400 budget for mainboard/cpu/memory/PS

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've always gone Intel, but I'm open to AMD. I'm going to reuse my current
case, but need a new power supply, memory (1 gig preferably), CPU and
motherboard. Obviously with my budget, I can't go nuts. I have to have AGP
(nVidia 6800 AGP card).

I figure $$ will go:
power supply: $50
(example
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-163-018&depa=0
)
CPU $150ish (Pentium 2.8/800FSB or Athlon 64 3000??? Which form factor? I
know zero about AMD)
Motherboard $100ish (need AGP, would like USB2.0, Firewire, SATA, sound, 800
FSB)
Memory $75-100 (PC3200 DDR 1GB)

Does this seem reasonable? Any specific recommendations? Thanks!

dos

AMD 64
DFI Lanparty UT Nforce 3

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've always gone Intel, but I'm open to AMD. I'm going to reuse my
current
> case, but need a new power supply, memory (1 gig preferably), CPU and
> motherboard. Obviously with my budget, I can't go nuts. I have to have
AGP
> (nVidia 6800 AGP card).
>
> I figure $$ will go:
> power supply: $50
> (example

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-163-018&depa=0
> )
> CPU $150ish (Pentium 2.8/800FSB or Athlon 64 3000??? Which form factor? I
> know zero about AMD)
> Motherboard $100ish (need AGP, would like USB2.0, Firewire, SATA, sound,
800
> FSB)
> Memory $75-100 (PC3200 DDR 1GB)
>
> Does this seem reasonable? Any specific recommendations? Thanks!

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message

" Does this seem reasonable? Any specific recommendations? "

I wouldn't trust a 580W PSU that only costs $32.45.

Buck-for-buck, the Athlon 64 is a better gaming processor, and you'll also
be ready to jump to XP x64 when that comes along. A 64-bit Pentium system
would cost a minimum of $233.49 for the CPU ( http://tinyurl.com/5t4ju ),
and LGA775 will also most likely be costlier to upgrade. The socket 939
Athlon 64 still has some way to go with 800MHz and DDR1, whereas an LGA775
setup will need PC4200 RAM (DDR1 or DDR2) once Intel start using the 1066MHz
bus in mainstream chips, as they have already done with the LGA775 Extreme
Edition.

The following recommendations are what I would get with your budget:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ skt939 http://tinyurl.com/5mc6o $146.00
Asus A8V Deluxe skt939 http://tinyurl.com/4uk2x $129.00
KingMax SuperRAM 2x 512MB PC3200 http://tinyurl.com/4dvsp $72.99
Antec TRUE430 430W PSU http://tinyurl.com/3drn8 $75.00