Upgraded to Athlon XP 3000+ (333) and now won't boot right..

Here's my specs:

Biostar M7NCD Pro nForce2 motherboard (Bios up to date except for most
recent update adding dual channel stability)
Athlon XP 3000+ (333mhz)
1gb RAM (1xRosewood 512mb PC3200, 1xKingston 256mb PC2700, 1xMisc Brand
256mb PC2700)
Antex 400 Watt PS (upgraded at the same time as the processor from 300watt
supply)
CD-RW
DVD-RW
Windows XP SP2

I just upgraded the system from a Athlon 1ghz processor Friday. Upon
switching the CPU and heatsink I get varying errors... Either it will
either:
* Freeze entering windows (pre-login)
* Crash while loading windows after logging in
* Reboot before Windows login

I tried this setup initially with my 300 watt power supply and had these
problems. Thinking it might be a power issue I upgraded to the 400 watt PS,
but still have the same problems. Further tinkering shows this:

* If I lower the FSB of the CPU, it will work with all the memory sticks
in and boot fine, but of course then its down to a 1700+ equivalent
or something.
* If I remove one memory stick, no matter where it is (enabling or
disabling dual channel) it has the same result.
* If I just use one memory stick, no matter which one it is, it will boot
up fine at the full clock speed.

I assumed it was the PS because the memory worked fine together before. But
now with a new PS its the same thing... So do I risk getting another
matched stick of PC3200 512 memory to pair with my current 512 stick and
hope for the best? Or do I have to throw out all that I have and just buy
1x1ghz stick since it only wants to run with one stick?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Dave

dos

Run memtest86, sounds similiar to the problem I just encountered.

"David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Here's my specs:
>
> Biostar M7NCD Pro nForce2 motherboard (Bios up to date except for most
> recent update adding dual channel stability)
> Athlon XP 3000+ (333mhz)
> 1gb RAM (1xRosewood 512mb PC3200, 1xKingston 256mb PC2700, 1xMisc Brand
> 256mb PC2700)
> Antex 400 Watt PS (upgraded at the same time as the processor from
300watt
> supply)
> CD-RW
> DVD-RW
> Windows XP SP2
>

> I just upgraded the system from a Athlon 1ghz processor Friday. Upon
> switching the CPU and heatsink I get varying errors... Either it will
> either:
> * Freeze entering windows (pre-login)
> * Crash while loading windows after logging in
> * Reboot before Windows login
>
> I tried this setup initially with my 300 watt power supply and had these
> problems. Thinking it might be a power issue I upgraded to the 400 watt
PS,
> but still have the same problems. Further tinkering shows this:
>
> * If I lower the FSB of the CPU, it will work with all the memory
sticks
> in and boot fine, but of course then its down to a 1700+ equivalent
> or something.
> * If I remove one memory stick, no matter where it is (enabling or
> disabling dual channel) it has the same result.
> * If I just use one memory stick, no matter which one it is, it will
boot
> up fine at the full clock speed.
>
> I assumed it was the PS because the memory worked fine together before.
But
> now with a new PS its the same thing... So do I risk getting another
> matched stick of PC3200 512 memory to pair with my current 512 stick and
> hope for the best? Or do I have to throw out all that I have and just buy
> 1x1ghz stick since it only wants to run with one stick?
>
> Any insight greatly appreciated.
>

> Dave

>I assumed it was the PS because the memory worked fine together before. But
>now with a new PS its the same thing... So do I risk getting another
>matched stick of PC3200 512 memory to pair with my current 512 stick and
>hope for the best? Or do I have to throw out all that I have and just buy
>1x1ghz stick since it only wants to run with one stick?
>
>Any insight greatly appreciated.
>

>Dave

It's RAM brand incompatability, not the size or amount. Newegg has
some 1GB combo's for under $92.

Kingmax SuperRAM 1GB(512MBx2) $73 A/R S/F
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-156-020&DEPA=0

WINTEC 512MB DDR PC3200 $42.33 No Rebate shipped
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=20-161-615&CMP=BAC-tbcpc

dos

I concur after reading the OP again, the different brands he has isn't a
good idea.

"AndrewJ" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

> >I assumed it was the PS because the memory worked fine together before.
But
> >now with a new PS its the same thing... So do I risk getting another
> >matched stick of PC3200 512 memory to pair with my current 512 stick and
> >hope for the best? Or do I have to throw out all that I have and just
buy
> >1x1ghz stick since it only wants to run with one stick?
> >
> >Any insight greatly appreciated.
> >

> >Dave
> >
> It's RAM brand incompatability, not the size or amount. Newegg has
> some 1GB combo's for under $92.
>
> Kingmax SuperRAM 1GB(512MBx2) $73 A/R S/F

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-156-020&DEPA=0

> WINTEC 512MB DDR PC3200 $42.33 No Rebate shipped

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=20-161-615&
CMP=BAC-tbcpc

Okay I ran the memtest on my 512 PC3200 (Rosewill from NewEgg) at least
before going to dinner with no errors reported. Do you think I'm safe just
going with just getting another 512 of that same one then? Rather than
buying two new chips of a different make.

Does the more powerful processor put that much more stress on the memory
that these mismatched errors are coming up now with the 3000+ processor when
there we're any with the same chips under the 1ghz processor?

Thanks for all the input!

Dave

"doS" <kobo65@hotREMOVETHISmail.com> wrote in message
>I concur after reading the OP again, the different brands he has isn't a
> good idea.
>
> "AndrewJ" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message
>>

>> >I assumed it was the PS because the memory worked fine together before.
> But
>> >now with a new PS its the same thing... So do I risk getting another
>> >matched stick of PC3200 512 memory to pair with my current 512 stick and
>> >hope for the best? Or do I have to throw out all that I have and just
> buy
>> >1x1ghz stick since it only wants to run with one stick?
>> >
>> >Any insight greatly appreciated.
>> >

>> >Dave
>> >
>> It's RAM brand incompatability, not the size or amount. Newegg has
>> some 1GB combo's for under $92.
>>
>> Kingmax SuperRAM 1GB(512MBx2) $73 A/R S/F
>>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-156-020&DEPA=0
>>
>> WINTEC 512MB DDR PC3200 $42.33 No Rebate shipped
>>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=20-161-615&
> CMP=BAC-tbcpc

dos

I would recommend matching the sticks, same speed size etc.