Ad-aware Definitions Update [SE1R58] 02/08/2005

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

webster72n wrote:
> New update available.
>
> Harry.

Opens at 5% and then stalls. I tried several times with no luck. This
happened to me at the previous update, but finally it came through the
next day.

What seems to be the problem?

Richard:

If I understood correctly, its a server related problem.
A lot of patience in order, I guess.

Harry.

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> webster72n wrote:
> > New update available.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> Opens at 5% and then stalls. I tried several times with no luck. This
> happened to me at the previous update, but finally it came through the
> next day.
>
> What seems to be the problem?

One more thing, Richard:
You can manually update at their website, but that involves the danger of
trashing your definitions. That's why I didn't suggest it.
Silj has all the finer details on this subject.
Maybe he can help us out here.

Harry.

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> webster72n wrote:
> > New update available.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> Opens at 5% and then stalls. I tried several times with no luck. This
> happened to me at the previous update, but finally it came through the
> next day.
>
> What seems to be the problem?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

webster72n wrote:
> One more thing, Richard:
> You can manually update at their website, but that involves the danger of
> trashing your definitions. That's why I didn't suggest it.
> Silj has all the finer details on this subject.
> Maybe he can help us out here.
>
> Harry.
>

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>New update available.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>Opens at 5% and then stalls. I tried several times with no luck. This
>>happened to me at the previous update, but finally it came through the
>>next day.
>>
>>What seems to be the problem?

Thanks, Harry. The definitions finally came through later in the day!

You're a day late Harry, Heather posted this yesterday and it's [SE1R59]
<g>
Joan

webster72n wrote:
> New update available.
>
> Harry.

The SR59 was an oversight on my part, Joan.
But where did Heather post?
I don't see it here.

Harry.

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> You're a day late Harry, Heather posted this yesterday and it's [SE1R59]
> <g>
> Joan
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > New update available.
> >
> > Harry.

NEW Adaware Update Heather 02/08/2005 7:55PM

That's the subject and time showing here and there were replies to the
post so if you don't see it maybe it's a glitch on the server side or you
missed it.
Joan

webster72n wrote:
> The SR59 was an oversight on my part, Joan.
> But where did Heather post?
> I don't see it here.
>
> Harry.

For whatever reason, I don't have it here, Joan.
I surely wouldn't have posted otherwise.
Sorry about that.
As long as everyone gets the update.

> NEW Adaware Update Heather 02/08/2005 7:55PM
>
> That's the subject and time showing here and there were replies to the
> post so if you don't see it maybe it's a glitch on the server side or you
> missed it.
> Joan
>

> webster72n wrote:
> > The SR59 was an oversight on my part, Joan.
> > But where did Heather post?
> > I don't see it here.
> >
> > Harry.

It's always good to hear positive news, Richard.
Thank you for the feedback and you are welcome.
Hope you were reading Shane's reply.

> webster72n wrote:
> > One more thing, Richard:
> > You can manually update at their website, but that involves the danger
of
> > trashing your definitions. That's why I didn't suggest it.
> > Silj has all the finer details on this subject.
> > Maybe he can help us out here.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message

> >>Opens at 5% and then stalls. I tried several times with no luck. This
> >>happened to me at the previous update, but finally it came through the
> >>next day.
> >>
> >>What seems to be the problem?
> >

> Thanks, Harry. The definitions finally came through later in the day!

Shane

No problem manually updating, Harry. The def file downloads zipped. Just
open your Ad-aware folder and rename defs.ref to defs.ref.old, then copy (or
unzip) the new defs.ref to there. Start Ad-aware and it should load with the
new definition file installed. If it doesn't, it's probably something wrong
with the Ad-aware installation and personally I'd recommend uninstalling it
then re-installing it.

Yes, the failure at 5% is clearly a server problem and by all accounts is
temporary. I experienced it myself, for the first time, with this update,
but in my case it installed on the second attempt almost immediately (rather
than several hours later).

If, in the case of this problem appearing to be permanent and a
re-installation of Ad-aware does not fix it, manually retrieving the def
file is the only real solution, and unless the download is corrupted there
is every chance of success updating this way.

Shane

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> webster72n wrote:
>> One more thing, Richard:
>> You can manually update at their website, but that involves the danger of
>> trashing your definitions. That's why I didn't suggest it.
>> Silj has all the finer details on this subject.
>> Maybe he can help us out here.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message

>>>Opens at 5% and then stalls. I tried several times with no luck. This
>>>happened to me at the previous update, but finally it came through the
>>>next day.
>>>
>>>What seems to be the problem?
>>

> Thanks, Harry. The definitions finally came through later in the day!

Thanks for the clarification, Shane.
Definitely very helpful.

Harry.