Mike

Splendid

I need to replace my Samsung crt monitor.

I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.
The salesperson tells me monitors are now called displays.
I said I didn't know. Also he says crt is OUT and lcd flat is in.

So I read on the internet, I find the new lcd displays are not as good
as the old crt monitors. Sort of like how it was when digital cameras
first came out (not anywhere near as good as film quaility)
I read the lcd displays are getting better, but still have a long long way
go to match a crt for contrast, speed, and things like consistent picture
quality throughout the whole screen area. Is this right ?

I will bet that most people who now have a new lcd display,
at one time had the old crt monitors. That is why I post this
question here. Are lcd displays worth buying right now ?
Or should I just try to get one or the last reamining crt monitors
and wait until the lcd display has matured some.?
I don't know what is best, so I ask you for comments.

Thanks to all
Mike

Mike wrote:
> I need to replace my Samsung crt monitor.
>
> I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.
> The salesperson tells me monitors are now called displays.
> I said I didn't know. Also he says crt is OUT and lcd flat is in.

Display/monitor, it's all the same to me!

LCD's are becomming a lot more popular, and better.

> So I read on the internet, I find the new lcd displays are not as
good
> as the old crt monitors. Sort of like how it was when digital cameras
> first came out (not anywhere near as good as film quaility)
> I read the lcd displays are getting better, but still have a long
long way
> go to match a crt for contrast, speed, and things like consistent
picture
> quality throughout the whole screen area. Is this right ?

LCD's aren't all good, but they do have many advantages. I decided to
buy a good CRT a couple of years ago, but I'm not certain what I'd go
for now. The prices have come down a lot, and the quality has improved
slightly. The thing I dislike most about LCD's is that they may come
with dead/stuck pixels. These are pixels which basically don't work.
Different manufacturers have different policies on dead pixels, and
after a certain number they'll replace it under warranty, but if it's
just a few then you usually need to just accept it.

Some obvious advantages of LCD's are :
They're small
They use little power (don't get hot)
They're light

The geometry is also slightly better than a CRT. However, LCD's also
have a 'native resolution'. This basically means that they will always
run at a set resolution, if you choose a different reolution then the
image will just be stretched to the native reolution, and won't look as
good. LCD's are also flicker free, and don't look flickery with low
refresh rates. They do have a latency, which is lower than that of a
CRT though, which is basically how quick the screen updates. On modern
ones the latency isn't a big problem though.

> I will bet that most people who now have a new lcd display,
> at one time had the old crt monitors. That is why I post this
> question here. Are lcd displays worth buying right now ?
> Or should I just try to get one or the last reamining crt monitors
> and wait until the lcd display has matured some.?
> I don't know what is best, so I ask you for comments.

I suspect that it won't be long until they start doing LCD's with no
dead pixels, and hopefully no stuck pixels either, when that happens,
I'll definately consider buying one.

Looking at the prices, there's probably around £50 between the two
now. I suppose space will be a big issue.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:37:15 -0600, "Mike" <Mike@rocket.org> wrote:

>I need to replace my Samsung crt monitor.
>
>I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.
>The salesperson tells me monitors are now called displays.
>I said I didn't know. Also he says crt is OUT and lcd flat is in.
>
>So I read on the internet, I find the new lcd displays are not as good
>as the old crt monitors. Sort of like how it was when digital cameras
>first came out (not anywhere near as good as film quaility)
>I read the lcd displays are getting better, but still have a long long way
>go to match a crt for contrast, speed, and things like consistent picture
>quality throughout the whole screen area. Is this right ?
>
>I will bet that most people who now have a new lcd display,
>at one time had the old crt monitors. That is why I post this
>question here. Are lcd displays worth buying right now ?
>Or should I just try to get one or the last reamining crt monitors
>and wait until the lcd display has matured some.?
>I don't know what is best, so I ask you for comments.
>
>Thanks to all
>Mike

Go to a real computer store and you will still be able to buy a CRT
monitor. That salesperson you were talking to was a dumbass.
"Display"? That's like saying a CRT is called a tube and not a
monitor. What is he some 'new age' pussy? I bet he was wearing a
pastel sweater too. I have an LCD "monitor" and a CRT "monitor". I
prefer the CRT monitor for gaming and watching DVD's. LCD monitor is
good for web use and office apps where you are reading a lot of text.
I would get a CRT if I was you.

Mike wrote:
> I need to replace my Samsung crt monitor.
>
> I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.
> The salesperson tells me monitors are now called displays.
> I said I didn't know. Also he says crt is OUT and lcd flat is in.

I hate egotistical sales people who try to correct customers who are
right.

> I read the lcd displays are getting better, but still have a
> long long way to go to match a crt for contrast, speed, and
> things like consistent picture quality throughout the whole
> screen area. Is this right ?

LCDs have virtually perfect focus and convergence but inferior
contrast, reaction time, view angle (since they work like venitian
blinds), and can look strange at odd at nonstandard resolutions, where
the pixels don't quite line up exactly.

CRT monitors have better contrast, can display any resolution below
their maximums without artifacts (since dot pitch is smaller than
electron beam size), but they're affected by magnetic fields (pictures
are drawn magnetically) and can't have 100% uniform focus and
convergence everywhere on the screen (picture is drawn from several
inches away rather than less than just 1mm away).

The CRT itself can be very rugged and last 10-20 years while LCDs are
unlikely to make it that long without developing at least some dead
pixels.
And it's highly unlikely you'll save enough in energy consumption to
make up for the higher price of an LCD monitor. CRT monitors usually
cost to repair, assuming free labor (self repair).

I went all LCD last spring and havent looked back Using NEC LCD1765
17" and is 16 ms and a Veiwsonic VP912b 19" which is 12ms. No
issues with ether of them gaming or otherwise.

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
ATI RADEON X800XT PE

Well, I went to an LCD monitor and am very happy with it. Seems
brighter and sharper. Has no problems with the games we play or dvds
or tv from my tv tuner card. I can actually put it back a bit on the
desk as opposed to the 21" CRT that was in my face because it was so
huge. I have had mine now for two years. It started out with one
dead pixel but I don't even notice it anymore except on a black
background. I'm ok with LCD and would buy another.

Bob Kruse

Samsung SyncMaster 193T............superb

"Mike" wrote:
> I need to replace my Samsung crt monitor.
>
> I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.
> The salesperson tells me monitors are now called displays.
> I said I didn't know. Also he says crt is OUT and lcd flat is in.

Salesmen say a lot of things. I had one try to sell me a monitor with,
"this one has a really sharp and bright picture". The contrast and
brightness were nearly maxed out, which I pointed out to him laughingly, at
which point he wandered away in search of less intelligent quarry.

Personally, I use CRT monitors because I'm cheap and I have room for them; I
also game a lot, and am wary of gaming with a non-CRT monitor. I wouldn't
mind one for a second monitor, though..

Jon

Biggest problem I have with LCDs is the inability to get a nice sharp
picture with anything but the thing's native resolution. That to me is
rather important, especially with dealing with reading text off web sites.
The bigger the LCD the higher the native resolution, the smaller the print.
Sure, one can go to the lower resolution and read the print better, but it's
not near as sharp and annoying. CRTs have no problem with that at all.
Good about the LCD are that it gives off less radiation, uses less
energy, takes up less space and is exceptionally portable. Longevity, I
don't know.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Bob Kruse" <thekruses@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, I went to an LCD monitor and am very happy with it. Seems
> brighter and sharper. Has no problems with the games we play or dvds
> or tv from my tv tuner card. I can actually put it back a bit on the
> desk as opposed to the 21" CRT that was in my face because it was so
> huge. I have had mine now for two years. It started out with one
> dead pixel but I don't even notice it anymore except on a black
> background. I'm ok with LCD and would buy another.
>
> Bob Kruse

Phisherman

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:37:15 -0600, "Mike" <Mike@rocket.org> wrote:

>I need to replace my Samsung crt monitor.
>
>I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.
>The salesperson tells me monitors are now called displays.
>I said I didn't know. Also he says crt is OUT and lcd flat is in.
>
>So I read on the internet, I find the new lcd displays are not as good
>as the old crt monitors. Sort of like how it was when digital cameras
>first came out (not anywhere near as good as film quaility)
>I read the lcd displays are getting better, but still have a long long way
>go to match a crt for contrast, speed, and things like consistent picture
>quality throughout the whole screen area. Is this right ?

I have been seeing improvement with LCDs, but still not quite the
quality of CRTs. I've been using CRTs for 25 years. Back in the
1070's I used an IBM amber gas plasma tube for text only (about
$12,000)--very crisp. It is good for you to compare the displays
side-by-side. This may give you a better picture plus a lower price.
I dislike the fading that occurs when viewing from the side with a
LCD, but that has improved somewhat.

>I will bet that most people who now have a new lcd display,
>at one time had the old crt monitors. That is why I post this
>question here. Are lcd displays worth buying right now ?

Becasue LCDs are reasonably priced (about half the cost than a year
ago), I'd probably buy a LCD to replace a burned out crt. On the
other hand, you can get a larger display with a crt for the same
money. I expect a display to last at least 5 years. My 17" Phillips
crt is on its 9th year of daily use.

>Or should I just try to get one or the last reamining crt monitors
>and wait until the lcd display has matured some.?
>I don't know what is best, so I ask you for comments.

Only your eyes will know what's best.

>Thanks to all
>Mike

>>I will bet that most people who now have a new lcd display,
>>> at one time had the old crt monitors. That is why I post this
>>> question here. Are lcd displays worth buying right now ?
>>> Or should I just try to get one or the last reamining crt monitors
>>> and wait until the lcd display has matured some.?
>>> I don't know what is best, so I ask you for comments.
>

> I suspect that it won't be long until they start doing LCD's with no
> dead pixels, and hopefully no stuck pixels either, when that happens,
> I'll definately consider buying one.

The dead pixel issue is the deal breaker for me. I might be
willing to put up with the poorer color display, the slower
response time, the limitation in resolutions, and the higher cost,
but I don't want to buy an LED monitor that is defective from day
one (i.e., has a bunch of dead pixels) and not be able to return
it for a refund. The only way I'd even consider buying a flat
panel is if I could try it out in the store and give it a going
over with a fine-toothed comb to make sure nothing was dead on the
screen.

Jon Danniken wrote:

> "Mike" wrote:
>
>>I need to replace my Samsung crt monitor.
>>
>>I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.
>>The salesperson tells me monitors are now called displays.
>>I said I didn't know. Also he says crt is OUT and lcd flat is in.
>

> Salesmen say a lot of things. I had one try to sell me a monitor with,
> "this one has a really sharp and bright picture". The contrast and
> brightness were nearly maxed out, which I pointed out to him laughingly, at
> which point he wandered away in search of less intelligent quarry.

One of my favorite salesperson stories came from a co-worker who liked to
mess with people's minds and back in the days when Television sets were
moving from vacuum tube to transistor designs it was a huge selling point
to advertise "All Solid State" or "100% Solid State." The advantages were
legion and obvious, hence the sales advantage, with no more trips to the
Radio Shack tube tester being but one that everybody at the time could
appreciate. However, as he rightly noted, every one of these so called
"100% Solid State" TV sets had this giant vacuum filled glass thing with
phosphors all over the front of it called a "picture TUBE."

Clearly, this inconsistency was the stuff 'fun' was made of so he headed
off to the local consumer electronics store to ruin some poor salesperson's
day and, true to the store's reputation for unsurpassed customer service,
he'd no sooner eyeballed a suitable example than an eager salesperson
showed up ready, willing, and able to answer his every question. With
indisputable facts, trap perfectly laid, and unsuspecting victim at hand
our hero pointed to the huge sticker boldly glued dead center of the
picture TUBE, proudly proclaiming in blazing red marquee sized letters
"100% Solid State," and asked, in his well practiced 'innocent consumer'
voice, "what does '100% solid state' mean?"

To which the salesperson replied "Nothing. That's just a brand name."

> Personally, I use CRT monitors because I'm cheap and I have room for them; I
> also game a lot, and am wary of gaming with a non-CRT monitor. I wouldn't
> mind one for a second monitor, though..
>
> Jon

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

> I went to the store to look, but not too many crt monitors left.

Your instincts are good here... always try to see the thing in action before
you buy it, especially with the LCD's. Apparently spec's aren't everything,
as I purchased a 19" LCD from Newegg (not their fault) with 16ms response,
and it ghosted terribly. They took it back... but the restocking fee, ouch.

Buy monitors online if it's a name you can trust.

papa

Nope, the quality is here now. I'm using one, and it is great. No heat, good
color, good resolution, and much more desk space. Mine is a 15 inch monitor
that cost $150. Of course prices will come down as more and more become
available, so if your old CRT monitor is still good you might consider
waiting a while longer. However, if your monitor is dead, get an lcd. A new
CRT will cost at least half as much, maybe more.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:06:38 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>Nope, the quality is here now. I'm using one, and it is great. No heat, good
>color, good resolution, and much more desk space. Mine is a 15 inch monitor
>that cost $150. Of course prices will come down as more and more become
>available, so if your old CRT monitor is still good you might consider
>waiting a while longer. However, if your monitor is dead, get an lcd. A new
>CRT will cost at least half as much, maybe more.

Please tell us what you use your 15" $150 LCD for.