Checking System - Please wait for a while ...

August 20, 2004 12:08:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Today I got a weird MessageBox pop-up that appeared on my e800 (with
WM2003SE Upgrade):

"Checking System - Please wait for a while ..."

(with a line break after "wait")

Has anyone ever seen that ???

The system seemed to be completely unresponsive while this pop-up was
displayed.

After a while (several minutes), the pop-up disapeared and the system went
back to normal.
No application was running when the pop-up appeared.

More about : checking system wait

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:54:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Wild guess but I think it's some form of system integrity check
built into SE that checks the integrity of the ROM image.
It made me think of the flaky ROM storage areas available on the
iPAQ's (iPAQ FileStore), on some models if you filled it up parts
of the ROM image would corrupt, resulting in a trip to HP.
It could also be that the 'checking' that is done, has something
to do with the notification database and other databases.

$0.02

~S.

"The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in
news:o b29WuyiEHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

So far only reported on Toshibas, so not to me an SE thing distinctly.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Wild guess but I think it's some form of system integrity check
> built into SE that checks the integrity of the ROM image.
> It made me think of the flaky ROM storage areas available on the
> iPAQ's (iPAQ FileStore), on some models if you filled it up parts
> of the ROM image would corrupt, resulting in a trip to HP.
> It could also be that the 'checking' that is done, has something
> to do with the notification database and other databases.
>

> $0.02
>

> ~S.
>

> "The PocketTV Team" <do-not-reply-by-email@pockettv.com> wrote in
> news:o b29WuyiEHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
> > Interesting...
> >
> > look at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=...
> >
> > at least one other person reported the same thing!
> >

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> 9897 Total Signatures on Tuesday, Aug. 24th 2004!
> HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 12:12:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> It made me think of the flaky ROM storage areas available on the
> iPAQ's (iPAQ FileStore),

oh, that's a totally different story. it's a (in)-famous bug in Intel's
IPSM driver that caused all the data corruption problems when running
application installed on the iPAQ FileStore (or on some Smartphones).

this is a well know problem, that MSFT never advertized or publicly
recognized. In fact MSFT only confirmed the IPSM issue in private
conversations, and it was only fixed recently (my MSFT providing a
replacement driver called TFAT).

unfortunately, due to the lack of information from MSFT, many OEM's were not
aware of the IPSM issue and they kept shipping devices that used the bogus
driver until very recently.

to compound the issue, MSFT keeps providing the bogus IPSM driver in the
platform SDK that they ship to OEM's.

but all that IPSM stuff is off-topic, as it probably has nothing to do with
the "Checking System" mystery message.
!