USB Floppy how to get as A: during bootup

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Floppy Disk
  • USB
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 28, 2005 1:36:21 AM

I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
windows and then remove it after.

Thanks

More about : usb floppy bootup

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2005 9:19:58 PM

Not all motherboards sees USB floppies as A: There might be a setting in
BIOS

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"G" <spammysux@earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
> on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
> config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
> drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
> Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
> drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
> windows and then remove it after.
>
> Thanks

a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2005 7:32:54 PM

"G" <spammysux@earthlink.net> skrev i melding
> I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
> on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
> config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
> drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
> Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
> drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
> windows and then remove it after.

Tried that myself, and i'm sorry to say that you probably need to get an
internal floppy drive. Doesn't remember what MB it was : (
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2005 3:04:08 AM

>>I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
>>> on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
>>> config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
>>> drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
>>> Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
>>> drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
>>> windows and then remove it after.
>

> Tried that myself, and i'm sorry to say that you probably need to get an
> internal floppy drive. Doesn't remember what MB it was : (

Everyone should have an internal floppy drive anyway. I mean,
jeez, they are only five bucks.
March 30, 2005 10:20:31 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:04:08 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com>
wrote:

>>>I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
>>

>> Tried that myself, and i'm sorry to say that you probably need to get an
>> internal floppy drive. Doesn't remember what MB it was : (
>
>Everyone should have an internal floppy drive anyway. I mean,
>jeez, they are only five bucks.

Actually it is an internal floppy drive. Just happens that it is USB.
It is a floppy drive and card reader combo. And just because
something is cheap doesn't mean you have to have one. With that logic
we will never get rid of parallel ports even though most new printers
are USB and we will have these archaic 1.44MB floppy drives for the
next 50 years. Why can't someone make it so you can boot from a USB
jump drive. Other than a circumstance like this I see no use for
floppy drives and even that is only because USB bootable devices
aren't ready for primetime. In my opinion floppy drives should
disappear.

For now I will pull a floppy drive out of my other machine and load
the drivers.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2005 1:48:25 AM

G wrote:
> I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
> on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
> config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
> drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
> Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
> drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
> windows and then remove it after.
>
> Thanks

What have you tried so far? Have you enabled USB devices in the BIOS?
Have you added USB_Floppy to the boot order?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2005 2:50:14 AM

>>Everyone should have an internal floppy drive anyway. I mean,
>>>jeez, they are only five bucks.
>

> Actually it is an internal floppy drive. Just happens that it is USB.
> It is a floppy drive and card reader combo. And just because
> something is cheap doesn't mean you have to have one. With that logic
> we will never get rid of parallel ports even though most new printers
> are USB and we will have these archaic 1.44MB floppy drives for the
> next 50 years.

Are you really sure you want to venture forth into the rough and
tumble world of computing without a parallel port? Lots of good
older printers out there. :-)
!