USB Floppy how to get as A: during bootup

I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
windows and then remove it after.

Thanks

More about floppy bootup

    Not all motherboards sees USB floppies as A: There might be a setting in
    BIOS

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "G" <spammysux@earthlink.net> skrev i melding
    > I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
    > on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
    > config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
    > drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
    > Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
    > drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
    > windows and then remove it after.

    Tried that myself, and i'm sorry to say that you probably need to get an
    internal floppy drive. Doesn't remember what MB it was : (

    >>I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
    >>> on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
    >>> config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
    >>> drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
    >>> Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
    >>> drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
    >>> windows and then remove it after.
    >

    > Tried that myself, and i'm sorry to say that you probably need to get an
    > internal floppy drive. Doesn't remember what MB it was : (

    Everyone should have an internal floppy drive anyway. I mean,
    jeez, they are only five bucks.

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:04:08 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com>
    wrote:

    >>>I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
    >>

    >> Tried that myself, and i'm sorry to say that you probably need to get an
    >> internal floppy drive. Doesn't remember what MB it was : (
    >
    >Everyone should have an internal floppy drive anyway. I mean,
    >jeez, they are only five bucks.

    Actually it is an internal floppy drive. Just happens that it is USB.
    It is a floppy drive and card reader combo. And just because
    something is cheap doesn't mean you have to have one. With that logic
    we will never get rid of parallel ports even though most new printers
    are USB and we will have these archaic 1.44MB floppy drives for the
    next 50 years. Why can't someone make it so you can boot from a USB
    jump drive. Other than a circumstance like this I see no use for
    floppy drives and even that is only because USB bootable devices
    aren't ready for primetime. In my opinion floppy drives should
    disappear.

    For now I will pull a floppy drive out of my other machine and load
    the drivers.

    Thanks

    G wrote:
    > I have a USB floppy drive on a new system that I am installing Win XP
    > on. I have set the hard drives up as RAID 1 in BIOS and in Raid
    > config. However, during Windows install I need to load the RAID
    > drivers from a floppy disk. The USB drive isn't recognized as A:
    > Does anyone know a way around this? Or will I have to pull a floppy
    > drive out of another system to load the floppy so I can install
    > windows and then remove it after.
    >
    > Thanks

    What have you tried so far? Have you enabled USB devices in the BIOS?
    Have you added USB_Floppy to the boot order?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    >>Everyone should have an internal floppy drive anyway. I mean,
    >>>jeez, they are only five bucks.
    >

    > Actually it is an internal floppy drive. Just happens that it is USB.
    > It is a floppy drive and card reader combo. And just because
    > something is cheap doesn't mean you have to have one. With that logic
    > we will never get rid of parallel ports even though most new printers
    > are USB and we will have these archaic 1.44MB floppy drives for the
    > next 50 years.

    Are you really sure you want to venture forth into the rough and
    tumble world of computing without a parallel port? Lots of good
    older printers out there. :-)

Homebuilt Floppy Disk USB Systems