Adaware detects Restart.exe malicious?

A recent Ad-Aware update and scan reported "c:\windows\Restart.exe" to be
the WhenU Desktop Toolbar. Anyone else have this detection? Restart.exe is
dated May 10, 2001, and is 105,199bytes.

Restart.exe is not part of Win Me.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Ogg <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote:

> A recent Ad-Aware update and scan reported "c:\windows\Restart.exe"
> to be the WhenU Desktop Toolbar. Anyone else have this detection?
> Restart.exe is dated May 10, 2001, and is 105,199bytes.

'WhenU Desktop Toolbar' is Spyware, Ogg.

Harry.

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message

> A recent Ad-Aware update and scan reported "c:\windows\Restart.exe" to be
> the WhenU Desktop Toolbar. Anyone else have this detection? Restart.exe is
> dated May 10, 2001, and is 105,199bytes.

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote:

>A recent Ad-Aware update and scan reported "c:\windows\Restart.exe" to be
>the WhenU Desktop Toolbar. Anyone else have this detection? Restart.exe is
>dated May 10, 2001, and is 105,199bytes.

There is at least one example of a legitimate file named restart.exe.
In this instance it is part of a software package named MonTel from
Netwiz. However that restart.exe is reportedly only 60K in size,
somewhat smaller than your file.
http://www.netwiz.com.au/appnotes/1693.htm

PC World also has a restart.exe on their download page.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,5053,00.asp

To be on the safe side I suggest that you rename the file to
restart.jnk or similar rather than removing it and then use the
computer for a few days to see if anything complains about a missing
file.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I don't, as I don't have such a file.
It is not a standard Win Me file.
No file called Restart.exe appears in my Win ME cab files.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:59:41 -0400, "Ogg"
<sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote:

>A recent Ad-Aware update and scan reported "c:\windows\Restart.exe" to be
>the WhenU Desktop Toolbar. Anyone else have this detection? Restart.exe is
>dated May 10, 2001, and is 105,199bytes.

Harry,

I could be mistaken but I don't think Ogg was questioning whether the
WhenU Desktop Toolbar was spyware or not but rather the status of the file
restart.exe.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> 'WhenU Desktop Toolbar' is Spyware, Ogg.

Don't think you were mistaken, Mike.
I just felt compelled to mention this, because of being confronted with this
issue some time ago.

Harry.

> Harry,
>
> I could be mistaken but I don't think Ogg was questioning whether the
> WhenU Desktop Toolbar was spyware or not but rather the status of the file
> restart.exe.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > 'WhenU Desktop Toolbar' is Spyware, Ogg.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I had moved it to the RecycleBin and
decided to keep it on hand that way for a while. But then I accidentally
emptied the RecycleBin when I was in my "routine mode" of maintenance. It
was too late when I remembered that I had restart.exe in there for temporary
safe keeping. I had almost wished I still had it so that I could test it
against the handy service at http://virusscan.jotti.org/