computer restarts by itself after shutdown...

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2005 9:11:07 AM

Just swapped out motherboards and did a fresh install of w2kpro. Went
from an ECS K7S5A to an ECS KT600-A. All other components the same
(AMD XP 2400+, 512MB Crucial 3200 DDR, Antec Sonata case, etc).
Everything works fine until I shutdown. Windows shuts down, screen
goes black, fans stop and all is quiet for about 4 seconds. Then the
computer boots up as if I hit the power button. I have to turn off
the power supply within of 4 seconds of shutdown or it will start up
again.

I have checked the front panel wiring multiple times and it is wired
the way the mobo manual says (I did try switching them around but it
did not fix it). Start up and shutdown worked properly with the old
mobo.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2005 9:11:08 AM

el-flaco wrote:
> Just swapped out motherboards and did a fresh install of w2kpro.
Went
> from an ECS K7S5A to an ECS KT600-A. All other components the same
> (AMD XP 2400+, 512MB Crucial 3200 DDR, Antec Sonata case, etc).
> Everything works fine until I shutdown. Windows shuts down, screen
> goes black, fans stop and all is quiet for about 4 seconds. Then the
> computer boots up as if I hit the power button. I have to turn off
> the power supply within of 4 seconds of shutdown or it will start up
> again.
>
> I have checked the front panel wiring multiple times and it is wired
> the way the mobo manual says (I did try switching them around but it
> did not fix it). Start up and shutdown worked properly with the old
> mobo.
>
> Any ideas?

I sometimes get a similar problem when I switch my USB switch when the
computer is shutting down, but I suspect that it's unrelated.
March 28, 2005 11:57:13 AM

how are you shutting down?
if you are turning off at the power strip then you may have 'reboot on power
outage' enabled in the cmos.

"el-flaco" <el_flaco_x@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Just swapped out motherboards and did a fresh install of w2kpro. Went
> from an ECS K7S5A to an ECS KT600-A. All other components the same
> (AMD XP 2400+, 512MB Crucial 3200 DDR, Antec Sonata case, etc).
> Everything works fine until I shutdown. Windows shuts down, screen
> goes black, fans stop and all is quiet for about 4 seconds. Then the
> computer boots up as if I hit the power button. I have to turn off
> the power supply within of 4 seconds of shutdown or it will start up
> again.
>
> I have checked the front panel wiring multiple times and it is wired
> the way the mobo manual says (I did try switching them around but it
> did not fix it). Start up and shutdown worked properly with the old
> mobo.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous