Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool

Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
tool to work?

Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows Download
Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago (don't remember
what now) and the version of the tool at that time determined my version
of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew since I purchased this PC
from Compaq in November 2000.)

Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
tool runs:
"This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
your system clock is correct."

I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically every
time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool should be
correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft during each
validation attempt. Here is the file information for the tool:

GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38

Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC -- and
maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)

Thanks,
Nevans
19 answers Last reply
More about windows genuine advantage validation tool

    upgrade to Win 2000 Pro. <tongue in cheek>

    "Nevans" <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    > tool to work?
    >
    > Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    > genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows Download
    > Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago (don't remember
    > what now) and the version of the tool at that time determined my version
    > of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew since I purchased this PC
    > from Compaq in November 2000.)
    >
    > Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    > tool runs:
    > "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    > longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    > your system clock is correct."
    >
    > I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically every
    > time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool should be
    > correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft during each
    > validation attempt. Here is the file information for the tool:
    >
    > GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    >
    > Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC -- and
    > maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nevans

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:02:28 -0400, Walterius wrote in

    > upgrade to Win 2000 Pro. <tongue in cheek>

    Well, I guess I asked for that!

    >> maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)

    Thanks for your "help". It brought a little needed levity to this day.

    Nevans

    Nevans:

    Isn't that particular tool destined for WinXP?
    Just an observation.

    Harry.

    "Nevans" <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    > tool to work?
    >
    > Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    > genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows Download
    > Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago (don't remember
    > what now) and the version of the tool at that time determined my version
    > of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew since I purchased this PC
    > from Compaq in November 2000.)
    >
    > Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    > tool runs:
    > "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    > longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    > your system clock is correct."
    >
    > I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically every
    > time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool should be
    > correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft during each
    > validation attempt. Here is the file information for the tool:
    >
    > GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    >
    > Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC -- and
    > maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nevans

    Harry,

    Thanks for responding. The following quote from Microsoft's FAQs in
    Noel's first post definitely gives the impression that Windows ME
    doesn't use WGA:

    < quote >
    Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP
    and Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible
    to all users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are
    available, without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows
    ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.
    < unquote >

    However, Mike's later test of the MSAS download shows Microsoft's above
    statement isn't exactly true. The file I'm trying to download --
    Windows Media Player 7.1 -- is for Windows 98, ME and 2000. The Windows
    2000 part is what is requiring the validation, even though I'm
    downloading it for and on a PC running Windows ME

    Nevans

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:43:29 -0400, webster72n wrote in

    > Nevans:
    >
    > Isn't that particular tool destined for WinXP?
    > Just an observation.
    >
    > Harry.
    >
    > "Nevans" <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    >> tool to work?
    >>
    >> Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    >> genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows Download
    >> Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago (don't remember
    >> what now) and the version of the tool at that time determined my version
    >> of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew since I purchased this PC
    >> from Compaq in November 2000.)
    >>
    >> Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    >> tool runs:
    >> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    >> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    >> your system clock is correct."
    >>
    >> I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically every
    >> time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool should be
    >> correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft during each
    >> validation attempt. Here is the file information for the tool:
    >>
    >> GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    >>
    >> Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC -- and
    >> maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Nevans

    Nevans:

    One can never have too much information on a subject, but very easily too
    little.
    In all probability I will not need this particular bit of info, yet there is
    no harm in knowing.
    Thanks.

    Harry.

    > Harry,
    >
    > Thanks for responding. The following quote from Microsoft's FAQs in
    > Noel's first post definitely gives the impression that Windows ME
    > doesn't use WGA:
    >
    > < quote >
    > Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    > Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP
    > and Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible
    > to all users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are
    > available, without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows
    > ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.
    > < unquote >
    >
    > However, Mike's later test of the MSAS download shows Microsoft's above
    > statement isn't exactly true. The file I'm trying to download --
    > Windows Media Player 7.1 -- is for Windows 98, ME and 2000. The Windows
    > 2000 part is what is requiring the validation, even though I'm
    > downloading it for and on a PC running Windows ME
    >
    > Nevans
    >
    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:43:29 -0400, webster72n wrote in
    >
    > > Nevans:
    > >
    > > Isn't that particular tool destined for WinXP?
    > > Just an observation.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >
    > > "Nevans" <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    > >> tool to work?
    > >>
    > >> Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    > >> genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows Download
    > >> Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago (don't remember
    > >> what now) and the version of the tool at that time determined my
    version
    > >> of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew since I purchased this
    PC
    > >> from Compaq in November 2000.)
    > >>
    > >> Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    > >> tool runs:
    > >> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    > >> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    > >> your system clock is correct."
    > >>
    > >> I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically every
    > >> time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool should be
    > >> correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft during each
    > >> validation attempt. Here is the file information for the tool:
    > >>
    > >> GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    > >>
    > >> Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC --
    and
    > >> maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Nevans

    Nevans
    AFAIK, No version of Win ME has ever been associated with teh Windows
    Genuine Advantage initiative -

    <quote>
    Q:
    Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    particular versions of Windows?

    A:
    Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP and
    Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible to all
    users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
    without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
    Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows
    downloads are not available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95,
    Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating
    systems.

    <unquote>
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Nevans" <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    > tool to work?
    >
    > Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    > genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows Download
    > Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago (don't remember
    > what now) and the version of the tool at that time determined my version
    > of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew since I purchased this PC
    > from Compaq in November 2000.)
    >
    > Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    > tool runs:
    > "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    > longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    > your system clock is correct."
    >
    > I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically every
    > time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool should be
    > correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft during each
    > validation attempt. Here is the file information for the tool:
    >
    > GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    >
    > Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC -- and
    > maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nevans

    Noel,

    Thanks for responding.

    Nevans

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:40:51 +0100, Noel Paton wrote in

    > Nevans
    > AFAIK, No version of Win ME has ever been associated with teh Windows
    > Genuine Advantage initiative -
    >
    > <quote>
    > Q:
    > Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    > particular versions of Windows?
    >
    > A:
    > Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    > Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP and
    > Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible to all
    > users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
    > without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
    > Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows
    > downloads are not available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95,
    > Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating
    > systems.
    >
    > <unquote>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Nevans" <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    >> tool to work?
    >>
    >> Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    >> genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows Download
    >> Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago (don't remember
    >> what now) and the version of the tool at that time determined my version
    >> of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew since I purchased this PC
    >> from Compaq in November 2000.)
    >>
    >> Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    >> tool runs:
    >> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    >> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    >> your system clock is correct."
    >>
    >> I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically every
    >> time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool should be
    >> correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft during each
    >> validation attempt. Here is the file information for the tool:
    >>
    >> GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    >>
    >> Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC -- and
    >> maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Nevans

    I have just downloaded Microsoft AntiSpyware from the Download Centre
    using a Win Me PC (IE6 SP1) that had never previously had the Windows
    Genuine Advantage Validation tool installed. And yes I do know that MSAS
    won't install on Win Me but I knew that this downloaded needs WGA.

    WGA installed the following files (there may be others I didn't check
    exhaustively)
    [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
    GWFSPidGen.DLL Added 1, 5, 0, 42 03/08/05
    LegitCheckControl.DLL Added 1.3.0265.0 03/08/05

    No GenuineCheck.exe although that might have been the name of the
    download - I didn't check.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    > tool to work?
    >
    > Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    > genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows
    > Download Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago
    > (don't remember what now) and the version of the tool at that time
    > determined my version of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew
    > since I purchased this PC from Compaq in November 2000.)
    >
    > Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    > tool runs:
    > "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    > longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    > your system clock is correct."
    >
    > I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically
    > every time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool
    > should be correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft
    > during each validation attempt. Here is the file information for the
    > tool:
    >
    > GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    >
    > Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC --
    > and maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nevans

    Hi Mike.

    I tried downloading MSAS and still no go (same problem as before).

    Could you try the MSAS download again and SAVE instead of OPEN
    GenuineCheck.exe and see what version you get? I determined that I'm
    getting 1.3.254.0 that way.

    I already had the other two files on my system (dated 1/28/05). The
    GWFSPidGen.dll had the same version 1.5.0.42 but my
    LegitCheckControl.dll was version 1.0.132.4. Both of them are in my
    recycle bin right now and no new versions were added by my validation
    attempt (I guess because of the error I'm getting.)

    Thanks,
    Nevans

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:42:14 +0100, Mike M wrote in

    > I have just downloaded Microsoft AntiSpyware from the Download Centre
    > using a Win Me PC (IE6 SP1) that had never previously had the Windows
    > Genuine Advantage Validation tool installed. And yes I do know that MSAS
    > won't install on Win Me but I knew that this downloaded needs WGA.
    >
    > WGA installed the following files (there may be others I didn't check
    > exhaustively)
    > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
    > GWFSPidGen.DLL Added 1, 5, 0, 42 03/08/05
    > LegitCheckControl.DLL Added 1.3.0265.0 03/08/05
    >
    > No GenuineCheck.exe although that might have been the name of the
    > download - I didn't check.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    > Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    >> tool to work?
    >>
    >> Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    >> genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows
    >> Download Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago
    >> (don't remember what now) and the version of the tool at that time
    >> determined my version of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew
    >> since I purchased this PC from Compaq in November 2000.)
    >>
    >> Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    >> tool runs:
    >> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    >> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    >> your system clock is correct."
    >>
    >> I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically
    >> every time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool
    >> should be correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft
    >> during each validation attempt. Here is the file information for the
    >> tool:
    >>
    >> GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    >>
    >> Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC --
    >> and maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Nevans

    Noel,

    WGA is required to download certain files from the Download Centre
    regardless of the OS in use whish is what Nevans is doing. I've just
    demonstrated this to my satisfaction by attempting to download MSAS using
    Win Me and was asked to install and verify WGA. See my reply to Nevans.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > Nevans
    > AFAIK, No version of Win ME has ever been associated with teh Windows
    > Genuine Advantage initiative -
    >
    > <quote>
    > Q:
    > Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    > particular versions of Windows?
    >

    > A:
    > Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on
    > Microsoft Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of
    > Windows XP and Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates
    > are accessible to all users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows
    > downloads are available, without validation, to customers running
    > Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with
    > Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows downloads are not available for older
    > versions of Windows (Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2
    > and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating systems.
    >
    > <unquote>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    Thanks, Mike - that brings a new wrinkle or two!!
    So - WGA is required for any download that is *for* XP/Win2KSPx or WIn2K3 -
    rather than *by* those OS's!!

    Yuck!

    --

    > Noel,
    >
    > WGA is required to download certain files from the Download Centre
    > regardless of the OS in use whish is what Nevans is doing. I've just
    > demonstrated this to my satisfaction by attempting to download MSAS using
    > Win Me and was asked to install and verify WGA. See my reply to Nevans.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Nevans
    >> AFAIK, No version of Win ME has ever been associated with teh Windows
    >> Genuine Advantage initiative -
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Q:
    >> Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    >> particular versions of Windows?
    >>

    >> A:
    >> Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on
    >> Microsoft Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of
    >> Windows XP and Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates
    >> are accessible to all users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows
    >> downloads are available, without validation, to customers running
    >> Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with
    >> Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows downloads are not available for older
    >> versions of Windows (Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2
    >> and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating systems.
    >>
    >> <unquote>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > Thanks, Mike - that brings a new wrinkle or two!!
    > So - WGA is required for any download that is *for* XP/Win2KSPx or
    > WIn2K3 - rather than *by* those OS's!!
    >
    > Yuck!

    So it seems. Not that I personally have a problem with WGA and certainly
    not here with the Win Me on VM I was using to test WGA for Nevans. WGA
    download, installed and then went straight to the MSAS download with no
    delay or questions. If it weren't for Nevans apparent problems I would
    have suspected that WGA doesn't actually bother to check Win Me systems
    but just needs to be installed.
    --
    Mike

    Nevans,

    I didn't save or open anything I simply let the Microsoft Download Site
    download and install the validation tool. I'm sorry but I see no point in
    repeating the exercise as I have already reported the two files installed
    by the tool and their versions. As I previously stated that copy of Win
    Me had never previously seen the WGA validation tool nor would it if I
    hadn't tested it for you.

    Looking at the logs on my main XP system on 6 Jan 2005 when WGA was first
    trialled I installed:
    LegitCheckControl.dll Added 1.0.0058.6 12/11/04
    then on 21 March I installed a beta version
    LegitCheckControl.dll Updated 1.1.0008.0 25/02/05
    and then yesterday updated it again as KB892130
    LegitCheckControl/dll Updated 1.3.0254.0 12/07/05

    I note that the version I picked up from the Download Centre with Win Me
    is a later version (1.3.0265.0) than the version I downloaded yesterday as
    part of KB892130 (1.3.0254.0). I can find no record of my ever having
    installed the version of LegitCheckControl.dll you report as having,
    1.0.132.4.

    The problem could well be that this tool was never designed for use with
    Win 9x systems although this didn't prevent me installing it when
    requested and downloading MSAS for XP.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Hi Mike.
    >
    > I tried downloading MSAS and still no go (same problem as before).
    >
    > Could you try the MSAS download again and SAVE instead of OPEN
    > GenuineCheck.exe and see what version you get? I determined that I'm
    > getting 1.3.254.0 that way.
    >
    > I already had the other two files on my system (dated 1/28/05). The
    > GWFSPidGen.dll had the same version 1.5.0.42 but my
    > LegitCheckControl.dll was version 1.0.132.4. Both of them are in my
    > recycle bin right now and no new versions were added by my validation
    > attempt (I guess because of the error I'm getting.)

    Mike,

    Thanks for responding.

    Nevans

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:20:55 +0100, Mike M wrote in

    > Nevans,
    >
    > I didn't save or open anything I simply let the Microsoft Download Site
    > download and install the validation tool. I'm sorry but I see no point in
    > repeating the exercise as I have already reported the two files installed
    > by the tool and their versions. As I previously stated that copy of Win
    > Me had never previously seen the WGA validation tool nor would it if I
    > hadn't tested it for you.
    >
    > Looking at the logs on my main XP system on 6 Jan 2005 when WGA was first
    > trialled I installed:
    > LegitCheckControl.dll Added 1.0.0058.6 12/11/04
    > then on 21 March I installed a beta version
    > LegitCheckControl.dll Updated 1.1.0008.0 25/02/05
    > and then yesterday updated it again as KB892130
    > LegitCheckControl/dll Updated 1.3.0254.0 12/07/05
    >
    > I note that the version I picked up from the Download Centre with Win Me
    > is a later version (1.3.0265.0) than the version I downloaded yesterday as
    > part of KB892130 (1.3.0254.0). I can find no record of my ever having
    > installed the version of LegitCheckControl.dll you report as having,
    > 1.0.132.4.
    >
    > The problem could well be that this tool was never designed for use with
    > Win 9x systems although this didn't prevent me installing it when
    > requested and downloading MSAS for XP.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    > Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Mike.
    >>
    >> I tried downloading MSAS and still no go (same problem as before).
    >>
    >> Could you try the MSAS download again and SAVE instead of OPEN
    >> GenuineCheck.exe and see what version you get? I determined that I'm
    >> getting 1.3.254.0 that way.
    >>
    >> I already had the other two files on my system (dated 1/28/05). The
    >> GWFSPidGen.dll had the same version 1.5.0.42 but my
    >> LegitCheckControl.dll was version 1.0.132.4. Both of them are in my
    >> recycle bin right now and no new versions were added by my validation
    >> attempt (I guess because of the error I'm getting.)

    Nevans,

    I see the problem is when downloading WMP 7.1. I'll let a contact I have
    at Microsoft know of your problem.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Mike,
    >
    > Thanks for responding.

    Mike,

    Thank you. I appreciate it.

    Nevans

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:37:22 +0100, Mike M wrote in

    > Nevans,
    >
    > I see the problem is when downloading WMP 7.1. I'll let a contact I have
    > at Microsoft know of your problem.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Nevans,

    I'll post back if I hear anything but given the weekend approaches I doubt
    that it will before Monday afternoon PDT at the earliest.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Mike,
    >
    > Thank you. I appreciate it.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike,

    When I sent you my "Thank You note", I said to myself, "This is Friday.
    Nothing's going to happen until at least Monday." But I couldn't be
    happier to know that maybe someone at Microsoft will know about the
    problem and might even come up with a solution.

    Thanks again for your efforts -- and have a great weekend!

    Nevans

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:32:50 +0100, Mike M wrote in

    > Nevans,
    >
    > I'll post back if I hear anything but given the weekend approaches I doubt
    > that it will before Monday afternoon PDT at the earliest.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike,

    GenuineCheck.exe is a alternate tool you are offered to download and run if
    you have ActiveX disabled in your browser. The ActiveX control install a few
    files which you found, the GenuineCheck.exe does not. It only creates a code
    for you to Copy/Paste in a control box at Microsoft's download site.

    Just a guess here, but Nevans states he has the two files you mention on his
    machine and now says the GenuineCheck.exe won't work. A possible conflict
    here?

    All the best,
    --
    George Aker aka SG
    Google is your friend www.google.com

    > I have just downloaded Microsoft AntiSpyware from the Download Centre
    > using a Win Me PC (IE6 SP1) that had never previously had the Windows
    > Genuine Advantage Validation tool installed. And yes I do know that MSAS
    > won't install on Win Me but I knew that this downloaded needs WGA.
    >
    > WGA installed the following files (there may be others I didn't check
    > exhaustively)
    > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
    > GWFSPidGen.DLL Added 1, 5, 0, 42 03/08/05
    > LegitCheckControl.DLL Added 1.3.0265.0 03/08/05
    >
    > No GenuineCheck.exe although that might have been the name of the
    > download - I didn't check.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone using Windows ME gotten the latest verison of Microsoft's
    > > tool to work?
    > >
    > > Today is the first time I have used the newest version of Microsoft's
    > > genuine validation tool to download something from the Windows
    > > Download Center. I downloaded something a couple of months ago
    > > (don't remember what now) and the version of the tool at that time
    > > determined my version of Windows ME is genuine (which I already knew
    > > since I purchased this PC from Compaq in November 2000.)
    > >
    > > Whenever I try to validate now, I get the following message when the
    > > tool runs:
    > > "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool is no
    > > longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    > > your system clock is correct."
    > >
    > > I know my system clock is correct because I sync it automatically
    > > every time I connect to the Internet. And the version of the tool
    > > should be correct because I let it download a new copy from Microsoft
    > > during each validation attempt. Here is the file information for the
    > > tool:
    > >
    > > GenuineCheck.exe 1.3.254.0 Tues. July 12, 2005 19:50:38
    > >
    > > Can someone who's gotten it to work check the version on their PC --
    > > and maybe offer suggestions (other than upgrading to Windows XP!)
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Nevans

Download Windows Me Microsoft Windows