Perplexing Printer Problem

August 7, 2004 3:29:01 AM

If my computer is off and my printer is on, when I try to start my computer
and WindowsXP is initialized I will encounter a completely black screen with
a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the window. As soon as I
turn off the printer the start up process will begin as normal. I'm just
wondering if this is supposed to happen or am I hitting some type of glitch?
Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks for any 411.
--
DamnedComputer
August 7, 2004 12:53:01 PM

Within your printer is a memory chip (spooler), when you boot your PC with the
printer in the ON position the spooler is looking for input, thus the blank
screen.
Always turn your printer off when shutting down your PC. Then after you
boot and
turn on your printer it can go thru the proper steps like checking writing
heads,
ink levels, paper in tray, etc. Note: Buy a surge protector and connect
all your
PC peripherals to it such as printer, scanner, monitor, that way when you
power
down with a single button the entire system shuts down and also protects your
system from power surges such as lightening strikes, they cost about $20 or
less.

"Cathlene" wrote:

> If my computer is off and my printer is on, when I try to start my computer
> and WindowsXP is initialized I will encounter a completely black screen with
> a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the window. As soon as I
> turn off the printer the start up process will begin as normal. I'm just
> wondering if this is supposed to happen or am I hitting some type of glitch?
> Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks for any 411.
> --
> DamnedComputer
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 4:49:31 PM

No that's not normal. Look for updated drivers for your printer. Turning the
device off is simply working around the problem. The printer drivers are the
crux of your problem.

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
Associate Expert