Perplexing Printer Problem

If my computer is off and my printer is on, when I try to start my computer
and WindowsXP is initialized I will encounter a completely black screen with
a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the window. As soon as I
turn off the printer the start up process will begin as normal. I'm just
wondering if this is supposed to happen or am I hitting some type of glitch?
Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks for any 411.
--
DamnedComputer
2 answers Last reply

    Within your printer is a memory chip (spooler), when you boot your PC with the
    printer in the ON position the spooler is looking for input, thus the blank
    screen.
    Always turn your printer off when shutting down your PC. Then after you
    boot and
    turn on your printer it can go thru the proper steps like checking writing
    heads,
    ink levels, paper in tray, etc. Note: Buy a surge protector and connect
    all your
    PC peripherals to it such as printer, scanner, monitor, that way when you
    power
    down with a single button the entire system shuts down and also protects your
    system from power surges such as lightening strikes, they cost about $20 or
    less.

    "Cathlene" wrote:

    > If my computer is off and my printer is on, when I try to start my computer
    > and WindowsXP is initialized I will encounter a completely black screen with
    > a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the window. As soon as I
    > turn off the printer the start up process will begin as normal. I'm just
    > wondering if this is supposed to happen or am I hitting some type of glitch?
    > Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks for any 411.
    > --
    > DamnedComputer

    No that's not normal. Look for updated drivers for your printer. Turning the
    device off is simply working around the problem. The printer drivers are the
    crux of your problem.

    --
    Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
    Associate Expert

    "Cathlene" <Cathlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If my computer is off and my printer is on, when I try to start my
    > computer
    > and WindowsXP is initialized I will encounter a completely black screen
    > with
    > a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the window. As soon as
    > turn off the printer the start up process will begin as normal. I'm just
    > wondering if this is supposed to happen or am I hitting some type of
    > glitch?
    > Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks for any 411.
    > --
    > DamnedComputer

Computers Microsoft Printers Windows XP