New Belarc Version 7.0t

For a refresher course:
Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
seems to fade so quickly.
I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
Thanks.

Harry.
40 answers Last reply
More about belarc version

    Harry,

    The Belarc installation routine uninstalls previous versions of Belarc
    if it identifies that there is an earlier version installed. Just run
    the new installation and you should be okay.

    Tom

    webster72n wrote:
    > For a refresher course:
    > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
    > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
    > seems to fade so quickly.
    > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.

    Harry, any decently-written software that requires the uninstallation of a
    previous version first, will say so during setup. Having said that, almost
    no software does require that.

    A certain amount of advice gets spread around here to do this but it's
    mostly paranoia. One is reminded of Chicken Little (or possibly Foghorn
    Leghorn). There are many here among us old enough to remember 'Don't Worry,
    Be Happy', but for whom worrying appears to be a pre-requisite to happiness.

    :-)

    Shane

    > For a refresher course:
    > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
    > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
    > Memory
    > seems to fade so quickly.
    > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.

    Shane and Tom:

    That's what I suspected, but couldn't be sure of.
    I like your expansion on the subject, Shane.
    Very educational.
    Thanks to both of you.

    Harry.

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Harry, any decently-written software that requires the uninstallation of a
    > previous version first, will say so during setup. Having said that, almost
    > no software does require that.
    >
    > A certain amount of advice gets spread around here to do this but it's
    > mostly paranoia. One is reminded of Chicken Little (or possibly Foghorn
    > Leghorn). There are many here among us old enough to remember 'Don't
    Worry,
    > Be Happy', but for whom worrying appears to be a pre-requisite to
    happiness.

    > :-)
    >

    > Shane
    >
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > For a refresher course:
    > > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
    the
    > > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
    > > Memory
    > > seems to fade so quickly.
    > > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If not
    why does it stop working for me when refused it?

    "webster72n" wrote:

    > For a refresher course:
    > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
    > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
    > seems to fade so quickly.
    > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.

    Not that I'm aware of. It creates a local html profile of your system
    that contains external links. The profile is then displayed in your
    default browser, so I'm not clear what it is you're refusing.

    Chris wrote:
    > Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If not
    > why does it stop working for me when refused it?

    Chris:
    ".....when refused it?"
    Sounds totally unclear to me.
    It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
    Or did you?

    Harry.

    > Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If
    not
    > why does it stop working for me when refused it?
    >
    > "webster72n" wrote:
    >
    > > For a refresher course:
    > > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
    the
    > > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
    Memory
    > > seems to fade so quickly.
    > > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought get
    out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking on
    the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer" and
    when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else shows
    up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version and
    still same thing happening.

    "webster72n" wrote:

    > Chris:
    > ".....when refused it?"
    > Sounds totally unclear to me.
    > It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
    > Or did you?
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If
    > not
    > > why does it stop working for me when refused it?
    > >
    > > "webster72n" wrote:
    > >
    > > > For a refresher course:
    > > > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
    > the
    > > > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
    > Memory
    > > > seems to fade so quickly.
    > > > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Harry.

    Which firewall are you using? There was no request to access the
    Internet with ZA Pro.

    Belarc states in their FAQ: "The Belarc Advisor creates a local Web page
    and does not send up your PC profile to a Web server or anywhere else."

    Chris wrote:
    > Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought get
    > out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking on
    > the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer" and
    > when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else shows
    > up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version and
    > still same thing happening.

    AFAIK, Belarc doesn't need a connection to the web - but it does need a
    connection to Localhost (IP=127.0.0.1) so that it can open IE, and publish
    the results to your screen.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If
    > not
    > why does it stop working for me when refused it?
    >
    > "webster72n" wrote:
    >
    >> For a refresher course:
    >> Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
    >> the
    >> latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
    >> Memory
    >> seems to fade so quickly.
    >> I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Harry.

    Chris:
    When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said "yes",
    since you know the program and want to allow it.

    Harry.

    > Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought
    get
    > out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking
    on
    > the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer"
    and
    > when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else
    shows
    > up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version and
    > still same thing happening.
    >
    > "webster72n" wrote:
    >
    > > Chris:
    > > ".....when refused it?"
    > > Sounds totally unclear to me.
    > > It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
    > > Or did you?
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job?
    If
    > > not
    > > > why does it stop working for me when refused it?

    > > the
    > > Memory

    Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
    access to the Internet!

    As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's simply
    prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
    actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be needed
    for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view it.

    --

    > Chris:
    > When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said "yes",
    > since you know the program and want to allow it.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought
    > get
    >> out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking
    > on
    >> the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer"
    > and
    >> when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else
    > shows
    >> up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version
    >> and
    >> still same thing happening.
    >>
    >> "webster72n" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Chris:
    >> > ".....when refused it?"
    >> > Sounds totally unclear to me.
    >> > It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
    >> > Or did you?
    >> >
    >> > Harry.
    >> >

    >> > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If
    >> > not

    > installing
    >> > the
    >> > Memory

    I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said block.But, now
    that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very strange.
    Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the motion of
    creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just abandone
    using it. Thank you for all your replies.

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
    > access to the Internet!
    >
    > As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's simply
    > prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
    > actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be needed
    > for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view it.
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Chris:
    > > When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said "yes",
    > > since you know the program and want to allow it.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought
    > > get
    > >> out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking
    > > on
    > >> the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer"
    > > and
    > >> when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else
    > > shows
    > >> up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version
    > >> and
    > >> still same thing happening.

    > > If

    > > installing

    Webster I am sure it is not Belarc, and thanks for the thoughts!

    "webster72n" wrote:

    > For a refresher course:
    > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
    > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
    > seems to fade so quickly.
    > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.

    Chris:

    It is too good a program not to have.
    One last try before you abandon it?
    How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
    giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should get
    it to work, you will not be sorry.

    Harry.

    > I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said block.But,
    now
    > that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
    strange.
    > Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the motion
    of
    > creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
    abandone
    > using it. Thank you for all your replies.
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    > > Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
    > > access to the Internet!
    > >
    > > As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's
    simply
    > > prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
    > > actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be
    needed
    > > for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view
    it.

    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Chris:
    > > > When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said
    "yes",
    > > > since you know the program and want to allow it.
    > > >
    > > > Harry.
    > > >

    > > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > get
    > > > on
    > > > and
    > > > shows

    > > > If

    > > > installing

    Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new version
    with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
    permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system that
    pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
    the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc does.
    It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with Belarc.
    Thanks again!

    "webster72n" wrote:

    > Chris:
    >
    > It is too good a program not to have.
    > One last try before you abandon it?
    > How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
    > giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should get
    > it to work, you will not be sorry.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said block.But,
    > now
    > > that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
    > strange.
    > > Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the motion
    > of
    > > creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
    > abandone
    > > using it. Thank you for all your replies.
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
    > > > access to the Internet!
    > > >
    > > > As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's
    > simply
    > > > prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
    > > > actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be
    > needed
    > > > for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view
    > it.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > > >
    > > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > > >
    > > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    > NG's
    > > >
    > > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    > "yes",

    > thought
    > clicking
    > computer"
    > else
    > version

    > job?

    Sorry to hear that, Chris.
    Don't think Belarc is the culprit here, it must have to do with the
    firewall. If I should find anything out, I'll let you know.

    Harry.

    > Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new
    version
    > with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
    > permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system
    that
    > pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
    > the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc
    does.
    > It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with
    Belarc.
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > "webster72n" wrote:
    >

    > > Chris:
    > >
    > > It is too good a program not to have.
    > > One last try before you abandon it?
    > > How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this
    time
    > > giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should
    get
    > > it to work, you will not be sorry.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said
    block.But,
    > > now
    > > > that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
    > > strange.
    > > > Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the
    motion
    > > of
    > > > creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
    > > abandone
    > > > using it. Thank you for all your replies.

    > > simply
    > > needed
    > > it.

    > > NG's

    > > "yes",

    > > thought
    > > clicking
    > > computer"
    > > else
    > > version

    > > job?

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    You are welcome.

    Harry.

    > Webster I am sure it is not Belarc, and thanks for the thoughts!
    >
    > "webster72n" wrote:
    >
    > > For a refresher course:
    > > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
    the
    > > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
    Memory
    > > seems to fade so quickly.
    > > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Harry.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Among the list of rules, I'd suggest deleting the most recent one or few.
    It's no great problem to have to re-estabish them. I'm certain Noel is
    correct. And installing again won't help if you checked 'don't ask me again'
    the first time round, because it won't.

    Shane

    > Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new
    > version
    > with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
    > permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system
    > that
    > pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
    > the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc
    > does.
    > It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with
    > Belarc.
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > "webster72n" wrote:
    >

    >> Chris:
    >>
    >> It is too good a program not to have.
    >> One last try before you abandon it?
    >> How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
    >> giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should
    >> get
    >> it to work, you will not be sorry.
    >>
    >> Harry.
    >>

    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said
    >> > block.But,
    >> now
    >> > that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
    >> strange.
    >> > Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the
    >> > motion
    >> of
    >> > creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
    >> abandone
    >> > using it. Thank you for all your replies.

    >> simply
    >> needed
    >> it.

    >> NG's

    >> "yes",

    >> thought
    >> clicking
    >> computer"
    >> else
    >> version

    >> job?

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Webster I am sure it is not Belarc, and thanks for the thoughts!

    Just a suggestion :
    On a mates PC I had to open Internet Explorer before running Belarc,
    otherwise it didn't do anything.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    The answer is probably in the readme.txt if there is one or Installation
    Instructions (on their site?).

    Despite Shane's normally sage wisdom, some software doesn't tell you
    during the course of installation, if uninstalling previous versions is
    recommended. (older and perhaps recent Mozilla products f'rinstance)

    Rick
    Don't worry, change the station.

    webster72n wrote:
    > For a refresher course:
    > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
    > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
    > seems to fade so quickly.
    > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    If you've reinstalled, ZA asks again and it's ruleset is open to editing.

    Rick

    Shane wrote:
    > Among the list of rules, I'd suggest deleting the most recent one or few.
    > It's no great problem to have to re-estabish them. I'm certain Noel is
    > correct. And installing again won't help if you checked 'don't ask me again'
    > the first time round, because it won't.
    >
    > Shane
    >

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new
    >>version
    >>with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
    >>permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system
    >>that
    >>pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
    >>the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc
    >>does.
    >>It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with
    >>Belarc.
    >>Thanks again!
    >>
    >>"webster72n" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Chris:
    >>>
    >>>It is too good a program not to have.
    >>>One last try before you abandon it?
    >>>How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
    >>>giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should
    >>>get
    >>>it to work, you will not be sorry.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.
    >>>

    >>>"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>>now

    >>>strange.

    >>>of

    >>>abandone

    >>>simply

    >>>needed

    >>>it.

    >>>NG's

    >>>"yes",

    >>>thought

    >>>clicking

    >>>computer"

    >>>else

    >>>version

    >>>job?

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick T wrote:
    > If you've reinstalled, ZA asks again and it's ruleset is open to
    > editing.

    You're saying install Advisor 7.0t, ZA asks if Belarc can connect (to
    127.0.0.1, iirc), put a check in 'Don't ask me again' then click 'No'. Then
    uninstall Advisor 7.0t, then re-install it and ZA will ask if the same
    Advisor version can connect to the same address, via the same protocol,
    again?

    Just curious.

    Shane

    > Rick
    >

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Among the list of rules, I'd suggest deleting the most recent one or
    >> few. It's no great problem to have to re-estabish them. I'm certain
    >> Noel is correct. And installing again won't help if you checked
    >> 'don't ask me again' the first time round, because it won't.
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>

    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the
    >>> new version
    >>> with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me
    >>> for permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the
    >>> system that
    >>> pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe,
    >>> suggested using the Everest home edition and that as well does
    >>> pretty much what Belarc does.
    >>> It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here
    >>> with Belarc.
    >>> Thanks again!

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick T wrote:
    > The answer is probably in the readme.txt if there is one or
    > Installation Instructions (on their site?).

    You don't need to, Rick.

    > Despite Shane's normally sage wisdom, some software doesn't tell you
    > during the course of installation, if uninstalling previous versions
    > is recommended. (older and perhaps recent Mozilla products
    > f'rinstance)

    My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that requires
    the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you or
    tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect - poorly-written. As
    for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements, but not in failing
    to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't believe it
    is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party plugin.

    Shane
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I've just now downloaded and installed Belarc Adviser version 7.0t. While
    installing this version, it uninstalled the previous version 7.0r with clear
    indication in text that it was uninstalling the previous version and showing
    the progress bar thereto. Hence, as far as the Belarc Adviser is concerned,
    it is clear that there is no need to uninstall the old version while
    installing the new version. The installation set up itself takes care of
    uninstalling the previous version before installing the new version.

    The problem of not showing the results (I, too, had this problem), is
    addressed in the Belarc Adviser website FAQ (click Free Download tab) as
    follows:

    Q: The Advisor has installed and finished a discovery of my PC's hardware
    and software, but I do not see any results.

    A: Check that Windows is set to open files with the HTML extension in your
    web browser. To do this, in the Folder Options windows control panel look at
    the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it
    opens with your preferred web browser.

    If that doesn't work for you, open this file:
    c:\program files\belarc\advisor\system\tmp\(COMPUTERNAME).html
    (where COMPUTERNAME is the name of your PC) using the File|Open... menu in
    your web browser

    "Shane" wrote:

    > Rick T wrote:
    > > The answer is probably in the readme.txt if there is one or
    > > Installation Instructions (on their site?).
    > >

    > You don't need to, Rick.
    >
    > > Despite Shane's normally sage wisdom, some software doesn't tell you
    > > during the course of installation, if uninstalling previous versions
    > > is recommended. (older and perhaps recent Mozilla products
    > > f'rinstance)
    > >

    > My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that requires
    > the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you or
    > tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect - poorly-written. As
    > for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements, but not in failing
    > to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't believe it
    > is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party plugin.
    >
    > Shane

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane wrote:
    > Rick T wrote:

    > My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that requires
    > the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you or
    > tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect - poorly-written.

    At what point do you expect people not to read the README file ? Or the
    Installation Instructions.
    :)

    Sometimes there's even a choice, usually if you want to retain previous
    user settings.

    Worst are the ones where they don't tell you how it installs *before*
    you start the installation. (This includes some Windows components)

    Rick

    > As
    > for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements,

    yep, didn't get any better when they corporationized (or whatever the
    term is).

    > but not in failing
    > to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't believe it
    > is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party plugin.
    >
    > Shane
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick:

    No readme file here and I went to their website also without finding
    pertinent info. Thirdly there was no answer to my 'contact us' email
    Hence my 'warm-up' request.
    From now on I shall remember.

    Harry.

    > Shane wrote:
    > > Rick T wrote:
    >
    > > My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that
    requires
    > > the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you
    or
    > > tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect -
    poorly-written.

    > At what point do you expect people not to read the README file ? Or the
    > Installation Instructions.
    > :)
    >
    > Sometimes there's even a choice, usually if you want to retain previous
    > user settings.
    >
    > Worst are the ones where they don't tell you how it installs *before*
    > you start the installation. (This includes some Windows components)
    >

    > Rick
    >

    > > As
    > > for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements,
    >
    > yep, didn't get any better when they corporationized (or whatever the
    > term is).
    >
    > > but not in failing
    > > to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't
    believe it
    > > is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party
    plugin.

    > > Shane
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    webster72n wrote:
    > Rick:
    >
    > No readme file here and I went to their website also without finding
    > pertinent info. Thirdly there was no answer to my 'contact us' email

    So you've pretty well exhausted the avenues I've mentioned there.

    Seems to me the default should be "uninstall previous" but it's a close
    call IMHO.

    Rick

    > Hence my 'warm-up' request.
    > From now on I shall remember.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>>Rick T wrote:
    >>
    >>>My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that
    >
    > requires
    >
    >>>the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you
    >
    > or
    >
    >>>tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect -
    >
    > poorly-written.
    >
    >>At what point do you expect people not to read the README file ? Or the
    >>Installation Instructions.
    >>:)
    >>
    >>Sometimes there's even a choice, usually if you want to retain previous
    >>user settings.
    >>
    >>Worst are the ones where they don't tell you how it installs *before*
    >>you start the installation. (This includes some Windows components)
    >>

    >>Rick
    >>

    >>>As
    >>>for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements,
    >>
    >>yep, didn't get any better when they corporationized (or whatever the
    >>term is).
    >>

    >>>but not in failing
    >>>to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't
    >
    > believe it
    >
    >>>is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party
    >
    > plugin.
    >
    >>>Shane

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    That's what made me unsure in the first place, Rick.
    But no more from now on.
    Thanks.

    Harry.

    > webster72n wrote:
    > > Rick:
    > >
    > > No readme file here and I went to their website also without finding
    > > pertinent info. Thirdly there was no answer to my 'contact us' email
    >
    > So you've pretty well exhausted the avenues I've mentioned there.
    >
    > Seems to me the default should be "uninstall previous" but it's a close
    > call IMHO.
    >

    > Rick
    >
    > > Hence my 'warm-up' request.
    > > From now on I shall remember.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > requires

    > > or

    > > poorly-written.
    > >
    > >>At what point do you expect people not to read the README file ? Or the
    > >>Installation Instructions.
    > >>:)
    > >>
    > >>Sometimes there's even a choice, usually if you want to retain previous
    > >>user settings.
    > >>
    > >>Worst are the ones where they don't tell you how it installs *before*
    > >>you start the installation. (This includes some Windows components)
    > >>

    > >>Rick

    > >>yep, didn't get any better when they corporationized (or whatever the
    > >>term is).

    > > believe it

    > > plugin.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > The problem of not showing the results (I, too, had this problem), is
    > addressed in the Belarc Adviser website FAQ (click Free Download tab) as
    > follows:
    >
    > Q: The Advisor has installed and finished a discovery of my PC's hardware
    > and software, but I do not see any results.
    >
    > A: Check that Windows is set to open files with the HTML extension in your
    > web browser. To do this, in the Folder Options windows control panel look
    > at
    > the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it
    > opens with your preferred web browser.
    >
    > If that doesn't work for you, open this file:
    > c:\program files\belarc\advisor\system\tmp\(COMPUTERNAME).html
    > (where COMPUTERNAME is the name of your PC) using the File|Open... menu in
    > your web browser

    A rum do, if ever there was one.

    Shane
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > At what point do you expect people not to read the README file ? Or the
    > Installation Instructions.
    > :)

    Not sure. Are people around in Genesis?

    Shane
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane wrote:
    >>At what point do you expect people not to read the README file ? Or the
    >>Installation Instructions.
    >>:)
    >>

    > Not sure. Are people around in Genesis?
    >

    > Shane

    heheheh
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    yup (that I've noticed).

    The two I've noticed it happening are reinstalls of Mozilla stuff, and
    an online game I have that if you reinstall it (even if it ends up in
    the original directory) it asks again.

    No idea what the mechanism is, beyond what it apparently does in those
    specific cases.

    Rick

    Shane wrote:
    > Rick T wrote:
    >
    >>If you've reinstalled, ZA asks again and it's ruleset is open to
    >>editing.
    >

    > You're saying install Advisor 7.0t, ZA asks if Belarc can connect (to
    > 127.0.0.1, iirc), put a check in 'Don't ask me again' then click 'No'. Then
    > uninstall Advisor 7.0t, then re-install it and ZA will ask if the same
    > Advisor version can connect to the same address, via the same protocol,
    > again?
    >
    > Just curious.
    >
    > Shane
    >

    >>Rick
    >>

    >>Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>>Among the list of rules, I'd suggest deleting the most recent one or
    >>>few. It's no great problem to have to re-estabish them. I'm certain
    >>>Noel is correct. And installing again won't help if you checked
    >>>'don't ask me again' the first time round, because it won't.
    >>>
    >>>Shane
    >>>

    >>>"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Baba, thanks for the advice. I did change the extension and it worked! I
    previously ran into the suggestion on Belarc site but could not get to the
    file extension due to my impatience steming from my frustration. However,
    tonight I persisted and change it. One thing I need to bring up, which I
    totally overlooked before, is that I used to have the Firefox browser but due
    to problems I uninstalled the thing not knowing that Belarc has chosen it as
    extension and as a result of uninstalling the browser have left no choice for
    Belarc. Does this sound reasonable assumption?

    Once again thanks to all who dedicated time to post on the issue!

    "Baba" wrote:

    > I've just now downloaded and installed Belarc Adviser version 7.0t. While
    > installing this version, it uninstalled the previous version 7.0r with clear
    > indication in text that it was uninstalling the previous version and showing
    > the progress bar thereto. Hence, as far as the Belarc Adviser is concerned,
    > it is clear that there is no need to uninstall the old version while
    > installing the new version. The installation set up itself takes care of
    > uninstalling the previous version before installing the new version.
    >
    > The problem of not showing the results (I, too, had this problem), is
    > addressed in the Belarc Adviser website FAQ (click Free Download tab) as
    > follows:
    >
    > Q: The Advisor has installed and finished a discovery of my PC's hardware
    > and software, but I do not see any results.
    >
    > A: Check that Windows is set to open files with the HTML extension in your
    > web browser. To do this, in the Folder Options windows control panel look at
    > the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it
    > opens with your preferred web browser.
    >
    > If that doesn't work for you, open this file:
    > c:\program files\belarc\advisor\system\tmp\(COMPUTERNAME).html
    > (where COMPUTERNAME is the name of your PC) using the File|Open... menu in
    > your web browser
    >

    > "Shane" wrote:
    >
    > > Rick T wrote:
    > > > The answer is probably in the readme.txt if there is one or
    > > > Installation Instructions (on their site?).
    > > >

    > > You don't need to, Rick.
    > >
    > > > Despite Shane's normally sage wisdom, some software doesn't tell you
    > > > during the course of installation, if uninstalling previous versions
    > > > is recommended. (older and perhaps recent Mozilla products
    > > > f'rinstance)
    > > >

    > > My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that requires
    > > the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you or
    > > tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect - poorly-written. As
    > > for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements, but not in failing
    > > to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't believe it
    > > is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party plugin.
    > >
    > > Shane

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <groan>

    --

    > A rum do, if ever there was one.
    >
    > Shane

  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> He doesn't get any better <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > <groan>

  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thank you, Joan.

    Got your copy of Jamie Oliver's new book yet?

    Shane

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > <lol> He doesn't get any better <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> <groan>

  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Glad to hear things have worked out for you, Chris.
    Thanks for feedback.

    Harry.

> [...]
    > >
    > > If that doesn't work for you, open this file:
    > > c:\program files\belarc\advisor\system\tmp\(COMPUTERNAME).html
    > > (where COMPUTERNAME is the name of your PC) using the File|Open... menu
    in
    > > your web browser

    > > > You don't need to, Rick.

    > > > My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that
    requires
    > > > the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you
    or
    > > > tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect -
    poorly-written. As
    > > > for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements, but not in
    failing
    > > > to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't
    believe it
    > > > is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party

  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    No should I have ?
    Don't use cookbooks here, well I don't <g>
    Joan

    Shane wrote:
    > Thank you, Joan.
    >
    > Got your copy of Jamie Oliver's new book yet?
    >

    > Shane
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Word doc attachment on it's way, Joan.

    > No should I have ?
    > Don't use cookbooks here, well I don't <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Thank you, Joan.
    >>
    >> Got your copy of Jamie Oliver's new book yet?
    >>

    >> Shane

  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Have you sent it yet, not recieved anything from you <g> shutting down for
    the night soon so will check in the morning.
    Joan

    Shane wrote:
    > Word doc attachment on it's way, Joan.
    >

    > Shane