Why do I want a 64 bit machine?

For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
(pretend) relative number.
Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to 1000Mhz.
Then there's the "BIT" factor.
Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
processor?
Thanks for any and all opinions.
Xeno

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
> processor?

You don't need one.

jad

you have too much money and you need a write off?

"Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
> It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
> When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
> (pretend) relative number.
> Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
> I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
> Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
> the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
> and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to
1000Mhz.
> Then there's the "BIT" factor.
> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
> processor?
> Thanks for any and all opinions.
> Xeno

"Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
> It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
> When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
> (pretend) relative number.
> Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
> I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
> Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
> the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
> and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to
> 1000Mhz.
> Then there's the "BIT" factor.
> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
> processor?
> Thanks for any and all opinions.
> Xeno

My hobby is composing and recording music and taking photographs with my
digital camera, among other things. A 64 bit computer "could" speed these
processes up considerably, and, conceivably, could enable the programmers to
take much finer samples of audio and video data.

Also, we could run more processes simultaneously than is currently possible.

I just bought an eMachines T-6000 just because it was equipped with an AMD
Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I want to run Microsoft's free beta Win 64 OS and
Cakewalk's free beta Sonar 64 music production program. I already own
Cakewalk's Sonar 3 & 4 programs in 32-bit. Incidentally, M-Audio offers free
64-bit drivers for some of their products.

Do you NEED 64-bit? Probably not. Neither do I. It's just something to play
with, but soon it will be the only choice.

Ed Cregger

Xeno Chauvin wrote:
> For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
> It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
> When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
> (pretend) relative number.
> Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
> I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
> Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
> the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
> and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to 1000Mhz.
> Then there's the "BIT" factor.
> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
> processor?
> Thanks for any and all opinions.
> Xeno

You really don't need one. Save the bucks and buy quality components.

Fred Ginzola wrote:
> Save what bucks? You will save next to nothing staying 32 bit.

It depends a 64bit CPU requires a different motherboard, so it depends
what kind of upgrade the person wants to do. Upgrading to a Sempron
costs hardly anything.

Xeno Chauvin wrote:
> For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
> It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
> When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
> (pretend) relative number.
> Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
> I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
> Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
> the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
> and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to
1000Mhz.
> Then there's the "BIT" factor.
> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the
size
> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
> processor?
> Thanks for any and all opinions.
> Xeno

You could buy something cheap, and then take another look in a year or
two's time when the market has settled. I dunno what you've got at the
moment, but a Sempron upgrade could cost less than £40.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:46:34 -0500, Garry Boyd <garryboyd@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Xeno Chauvin wrote:
>> For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
>> It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
>> When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
>> (pretend) relative number.
>> Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
>> I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
>> Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
>> the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
>> and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to 1000Mhz.
>> Then there's the "BIT" factor.
>> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
>> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
>> processor?
>> Thanks for any and all opinions.
>> Xeno
>>

>You really don't need one. Save the bucks and buy quality components.

jad

OP 's current machine 32 bit - stays with it - costs him nothing.....fair
savings I would think

"Fred Ginzola" <moahve6969@aol.com> wrote in message
> Save what bucks? You will save next to nothing staying 32 bit.
>

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:46:34 -0500, Garry Boyd <garryboyd@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> >Xeno Chauvin wrote:
> >> For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
> >> It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
> >> When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
> >> (pretend) relative number.
> >> Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
> >> I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
> >> Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
> >> the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
> >> and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to
1000Mhz.
> >> Then there's the "BIT" factor.
> >> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the
size
> >> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
> >> processor?
> >> Thanks for any and all opinions.
> >> Xeno
> >>

> >You really don't need one. Save the bucks and buy quality components.

"Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> :
>For 10+ years I've intermittently built my own machines.
>It was so easy when the choices were a 486, or a 486DX.
>When bus speeds were all the same (66 MHz) and the CPU had a
>(pretend) relative number.
>Now AMD has XP, Sempron, 64, and 64FX.
>I've tried reading the spec's but fell asleep.
>Pricing these various CPU's leaves one wondering where
>the differences are when their relative speeds are the same
>and the prices are about the same. FSB's seem to range from 133 to 1000Mhz.
>Then there's the "BIT" factor.
>Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
>of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
>processor?
>Thanks for any and all opinions.
>Xeno

I feel that some advantages are more of an advantage than others. I hope
this answers your question.

papa

The questions I always ask myself when a new hardware release becomes
available is - Is there any software available to take advantage of it, and
will performance be enhanced to any significant degree just by installing
that new hardware?

A third question might be - Do I have to replace any non-related hardware
(motherboard, RAM, etc.) if I decide to use that new hardware?

Xeno Chauvin writes:

> Since I'm not a "power user" or big "gamer" nor do I brag about the size
> of my Processor in public, to what end would I, could I put a 64Bit
> processor?

If you can't think of a reason to go with 64 bits, don't.

Fred Ginzola writes:

> Save what bucks? You will save next to nothing staying 32 bit.

You may not save money, but you'll save time and grief, since the
software hasn't caught up with 64-bit systems yet.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I assume these 64 bit processors run 32bit Windows fine? Otherwise I
imagine sales wouldn't be so great. Do they run 32bit natively or do
they need to do translation (ie does it slow down when running 32bit).
They seem to be the same price as 32 bit processors at the same speed
so why wouldn't I buy 64bit I guess would be my question.

Papa wrote:
> The questions I always ask myself when a new hardware release becomes
> available is - Is there any software available to take advantage of
> it, and will performance be enhanced to any significant degree just
> by installing that new hardware?
>
> A third question might be - Do I have to replace any non-related
> hardware (motherboard, RAM, etc.) if I decide to use that new
> hardware?

"johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message

What operating system are you running?
Xeno

"Ed Cregger" <amazingseismo@yahu.com (correct the spelling)> wrote in
message news:d2anff04d5@enews3.newsguy.com...
> I just bought an eMachines T-6000 just because it was equipped with an AMD
> Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I want to run Microsoft's free beta Win 64 OS

What operating system came with the machine?
Is it some type of "modified" Win XP?
I note at the Microsoft site that they are not
giving the Beta 64 away anymore. Hope you
got your order in for it.
Do you have any older mundane programs like Word, Works
that you have loaded? Do they work O.K.?
Did you have problems with drivers for printers and
scanners etc.?
Xeno

> "Ed Cregger" <amazingseismo@yahu.com (correct the spelling)> wrote in
> message news:d2anff04d5@enews3.newsguy.com...
>> I just bought an eMachines T-6000 just because it was equipped with an
>> AMD
>> Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I want to run Microsoft's free beta Win 64 OS
>
> What operating system came with the machine?
> Is it some type of "modified" Win XP?
> I note at the Microsoft site that they are not
> giving the Beta 64 away anymore. Hope you
> got your order in for it.
> Do you have any older mundane programs like Word, Works
> that you have loaded? Do they work O.K.?
> Did you have problems with drivers for printers and
> scanners etc.?
> Xeno

I downloaded my copy of Win 64. There was an option of downloading, or you
could order a CD-Rom. I'm too impatient.

When I tried to increase my memory from 512 MB to 1 GB, the computer fried
upon start up. Yes, I unplugged everything and I was grounded. I've done
this sort of thing many, many times before. I must have touched something
that I shouldn't have (kidding). I have been building my own PC's for ten
years and I've never had a problem like this before.

My T-6000 was a refurb and I got it really cheap. It came with Win XP Home.
I plan on using a different hard drive for Win 64. The computer hasn't
returned from warranty repair yet. So, I haven't ran Win 64 as yet.

eMachines sent me a post paid shipping container. You can't ask for better
than that. We'll see how it works when it gets back.

Ed Cregger

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
> I have an Athlon 64 also, and I'm pretty sure it makes my teeth
> whiter.

<TIC> Must make you feel better after loosing the election?

What operating system are you using?
Do your "older" (legacy) programs run O.K.?
Hoe about printers, scanners, camera's etc?
Xeno