Directdb.dll error

Hello, I am running Win ME and have installed all of the updates to the OS.
I am having a continued problem with Outlook Express and rebooting does not
seem to fix the problem. Is anyone familiar with this error?

Msimn has caused an error in DIRECTDB.DLL.
Msinm will now close.
If you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer.

This is getting really annoying. I probably should upgrade to Win XP but
some of my programs are older and won't run under XP.

Sincerely,
Rich Lamanna

Man count thy days,
and if perchance they fly too fast,
for thy dull thoughts to count,
count every day thy last.

Henton Londini - Anno Dom 1605

DIRECTDB.DLL error
One possible reason for this error is if the all important file
folders.dbx has become damaged. To fix it, try first to compact your
folders whilst offline. Do this by selecting and clicking File | Folder |
Compact All Folders. If this doesn't resolve the problem then close OE
and rename (or delete) the file folders.dbx in your Identity's store
folder. You can establish the location of the store by selecting Tools |
Options | Maintenance | Store Location. When OE restarts it will rebuild a
new clean copy of folders.dbx.

Note though that folders.dbx is the master index for the message store and
stores not only the layout of your folders in the folder list but also,
for example, the details of the messages that have been read in the
newsgroups and also the list of available newsgroups. This information
will be lost when you delete folders.dbx meaning that for example your
folders list will have all folders as being top level folders and you will
have to rebuild any folder tree you might have, likewise details of read
messages will have been lost, the list of available newsgroups and your
synchronisation settings.

For more details see MS KB 233264 - "OLEXP: Error Message If the
Folders.dbx File Is Missing or Damaged"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=233264).
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rich Lamanna <richard.lamanna@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello, I am running Win ME and have installed all of the updates to
> the OS. I am having a continued problem with Outlook Express and
> rebooting does not seem to fix the problem. Is anyone familiar with
> this error?
>
> Msimn has caused an error in DIRECTDB.DLL.
> Msinm will now close.
> If you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer.
>
> This is getting really annoying. I probably should upgrade to Win XP
> but some of my programs are older and won't run under XP.

Thanks Mike. I had to rename the folders.dbx file and sure enough it worked,
really appreciated.

Ciao,
Rich

"The world wishes to be deceived." - Sebastian Franck (around 1500 A.D.)

> DIRECTDB.DLL error
> One possible reason for this error is if the all important file
> folders.dbx has become damaged. To fix it, try first to compact your
> folders whilst offline. Do this by selecting and clicking File | Folder |
> Compact All Folders. If this doesn't resolve the problem then close OE
> and rename (or delete) the file folders.dbx in your Identity's store
> folder. You can establish the location of the store by selecting Tools |
> Options | Maintenance | Store Location. When OE restarts it will rebuild a
> new clean copy of folders.dbx.
>
> Note though that folders.dbx is the master index for the message store and
> stores not only the layout of your folders in the folder list but also,
> for example, the details of the messages that have been read in the
> newsgroups and also the list of available newsgroups. This information
> will be lost when you delete folders.dbx meaning that for example your
> folders list will have all folders as being top level folders and you will
> have to rebuild any folder tree you might have, likewise details of read
> messages will have been lost, the list of available newsgroups and your
> synchronisation settings.
>
> For more details see MS KB 233264 - "OLEXP: Error Message If the
> Folders.dbx File Is Missing or Damaged"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=233264).
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Rich Lamanna <richard.lamanna@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I am running Win ME and have installed all of the updates to
> > the OS. I am having a continued problem with Outlook Express and
> > rebooting does not seem to fix the problem. Is anyone familiar with
> > this error?
> >
> > Msimn has caused an error in DIRECTDB.DLL.
> > Msinm will now close.
> > If you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer.
> >
> > This is getting really annoying. I probably should upgrade to Win XP
> > but some of my programs are older and won't run under XP.

Thanks for the feedback Rich, I'm pleased to read you've now managed to
fix the problem you were having with Outlook Express.