fdd cable reversed

what damage could be caused by connoting the fdd cable to the fdd in
reverse. I assumed it would only plug in one way but it does not and I had
it in backwards. When I started up the pc the first few times the light on
the floppy stayed on permanently and it would not work. I have put in in the
other way and the drive now runs but does not read disks( I/O error or
reports lots of missing or damaged files on the disk)
I have a replacement drive coming but am worried I have damaged the mobo. Is
this possible?
6 answers Last reply
More about cable reversed

    Joanna,
    I've reversed the floppy cable too, and it has never done any harm
    to the mobo.
    The issue you are having with "does not read disks" and "lots of
    missing and damaged files on the disk" sounds like a hard drive
    failure to me.
    I don't know which OS you're running, but if it's Windows, drop
    into MS-DOS mode (real, not in a window) and run Scandisk. See
    what you get. A better method of running Scandisk is to use a bootdisk
    (reboot) and run Scandisk from that.
    Run a second test like PC Diagnostics Tuff Test 1.53 or 3.53 which
    will test and troubleshoot hard drives, floppy drives, all types of
    memory, serial & parallel ports, video displays, etc.

    joanne fee wrote:
    > what damage could be caused by connoting the fdd cable to the fdd in
    > reverse. I assumed it would only plug in one way but it does not and
    I had
    > it in backwards.

    No damage at all because each floppy drive signal is the "open
    collector" type, meaning when it goes active it merely grounds its
    signal line. An open collector line works like the pull cord on a city
    bus, meaning it doesn't matter whether one person or several people
    pull it simultaneously.

    "joanne fee" <joanne.fee@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > what damage could be caused by connoting the fdd cable to the fdd in
    > reverse. I assumed it would only plug in one way but it does not and I had
    > it in backwards. When I started up the pc the first few times the light on
    > the floppy stayed on permanently and it would not work. I have put in in
    > the other way and the drive now runs but does not read disks( I/O error or
    > reports lots of missing or damaged files on the disk)
    > I have a replacement drive coming but am worried I have damaged the mobo.
    > Is this possible?

    I've put the floppy cable on backwards, put in a floppy, and found the disc
    is unreadable, and becomes unreadable in any working machine (and must be
    reformatted).

    See if that drive can format and then write to a good floppy, if not, you
    may still have cable problems, or dirty heads in that drive (gently clean
    with alcohol + long Q-tip swab), or perhaps the drive is bad.

    I have connected HD and FD cables backwards, too many times, and never
    damaged a motherboard that way.

    "joanne fee" <joanne.fee@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > what damage could be caused by connoting the fdd cable to the fdd in
    > reverse. I assumed it would only plug in one way but it does not and I had
    > it in backwards. When I started up the pc the first few times the light on
    > the floppy stayed on permanently and it would not work. I have put in in
    > the other way and the drive now runs but does not read disks( I/O error or
    > reports lots of missing or damaged files on the disk)
    > I have a replacement drive coming but am worried I have damaged the mobo.
    > Is this possible?
    It is possible to damage a MB this way but very unlikely. The last time I
    destroyed a MB this way was with a Tandy 1000 which had the power and data
    on the same cable. So I would not worry overly much that you have damaged
    the MB. Many of us have put the cable in backwards and then reversed it with
    no problems.
    remove the saynotospam to reply.

    "Greyfrog" <sbarringer@netpenny.net> wrote in message
    > Joanna,
    > I've reversed the floppy cable too, and it has never done any harm
    > to the mobo.
    > The issue you are having with "does not read disks" and "lots of
    > missing and damaged files on the disk" sounds like a hard drive
    > failure to me.
    > I don't know which OS you're running, but if it's Windows, drop
    > into MS-DOS mode (real, not in a window) and run Scandisk. See
    > what you get. A better method of running Scandisk is to use a bootdisk
    > (reboot) and run Scandisk from that.
    > Run a second test like PC Diagnostics Tuff Test 1.53 or 3.53 which
    > will test and troubleshoot hard drives, floppy drives, all types of
    > memory, serial & parallel ports, video displays, etc.

    sorry its not the hdd thats showing errors it the floppy when trying to run
    startup disks.I have not yet been able to format the new hdd or anything
    yet.
    Did you damage your floppy drive when you reversed the cable?

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:42:58 GMT, "joanne fee"
    <joanne.fee@ntlworld.com> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
    out:

    >what damage could be caused by connoting the fdd cable to the fdd in
    >reverse. I assumed it would only plug in one way but it does not and I had
    >it in backwards. When I started up the pc the first few times the light on
    >the floppy stayed on permanently and it would not work. I have put in in the
    >other way and the drive now runs but does not read disks( I/O error or
    >reports lots of missing or damaged files on the disk)
    >I have a replacement drive coming but am worried I have damaged the mobo. Is
    >this possible?

    You need to reformat any floppy put in while the cable was reversed.

    When the cable is reversed, the floppy is activated in write mode and
    will erase the track the head is sitting on.

    Stephen

Homebuilt Cable Systems