Unable to boot any Microsoft O/S after MsDos 6.22

A friend brought me his pc, which had stoppedworking. It had stopped durind
downloadins some software from the net. Now when you try to boot ME, it just
hangs. I have try'd to boot from a Windows ME bootup disk, a 2000 install
disk, and an XP install disk but all I get is a blank screen. I can boot from
a MsDos 6.22 installation disk, and have looked at the disk partition, this
indicates a non-dos partition. I have try'd a copy of Knoppix, run from the
cd and this boots o/k I can see the Windows files on the disk and all seems
o/k, but no matter what I try I can not get the thing to boot. Any ideas?
19 answers Last reply
More about unable boot microsoft msdos

    You cannot boot to Win Me using any of the disks you mention although you
    should be able to boot to a DOS prompt using the Win Me boot disk.

    What software was being downloaded? Your post suggest the partition table
    or MBR might have been damaged. Boot to DOS using the Win Me boot floppy
    (option 2 or 3) and at the A:\> prompt type
    SYS C:

    Now remove the floppy and see if you can boot in to Win Me.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > You cannot boot to Win Me using any of the disks you mention although you
    > should be able to boot to a DOS prompt using the Win Me boot disk.
    >
    > What software was being downloaded? Your post suggest the partition table
    > or MBR might have been damaged. Boot to DOS using the Win Me boot floppy
    > (option 2 or 3) and at the A:\> prompt type
    > SYS C:
    >
    > Now remove the floppy and see if you can boot in to Win Me.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Graham <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > A friend brought me his pc, which had stoppedworking. It had stopped
    > > durind downloadins some software from the net. Now when you try to
    > > boot ME, it just hangs. I have try'd to boot from a Windows ME bootup
    > > disk, a 2000 install disk, and an XP install disk but all I get is a
    > > blank screen. I can boot from a MsDos 6.22 installation disk, and
    > > have looked at the disk partition, this indicates a non-dos
    > > partition. I have try'd a copy of Knoppix, run from the cd and this
    > > boots o/k I can see the Windows files on the disk and all seems o/k,
    > > but no matter what I try I can not get the thing to boot. Any ideas?
    >
    > Hi Mike,
    Thanks, that is what i thought. The problem is that whichever Windows O/s
    disk i try to boot from 95 to XP, after looking as thaough it was reading the
    disk it just hangs. I have downloaded a boot rom upgrade, but it needs a
    windows o/s running to let me load it. I have run fdisk /mbr from msdos, that
    at leasr gets me an a:/ prompt but the flash program will only work witha
    version of windows. Strange !

    Mike M wrote:
    > You cannot boot to Win Me using any of the disks you mention although
    > you should be able to boot to a DOS prompt using the Win Me boot disk.
    >
    > What software was being downloaded? Your post suggest the partition
    > table or MBR might have been damaged. Boot to DOS using the Win Me boot
    > floppy (option 2 or 3) and at the A:\> prompt type
    > SYS C:
    >
    > Now remove the floppy and see if you can boot in to Win Me.

    will 6.22 see FAT32 ?

    Rick
    don't remember

    "Rick T" wrote:

    > Mike M wrote:
    > > You cannot boot to Win Me using any of the disks you mention although
    > > you should be able to boot to a DOS prompt using the Win Me boot disk.
    > >
    > > What software was being downloaded? Your post suggest the partition
    > > table or MBR might have been damaged. Boot to DOS using the Win Me boot
    > > floppy (option 2 or 3) and at the A:\> prompt type
    > > SYS C:
    > >
    > > Now remove the floppy and see if you can boot in to Win Me.
    >
    > will 6.22 see FAT32 ?
    >

    > Rick
    > don't remember

    Hi Rick,

    Thats the problem, when I try to boot the system from a Windows ME boot
    floppy the floppy sounds as though it is loading but then everything stops.
    No prompt, no display, even (cont)+(alt)+(del) does not work. AS far as i
    know they were trying to download a file for a gprs device which had all the
    speed cameras included.

    Regards

    Graham

    Use a Win Me boot FLOPPY not a CD, the Win Me CD is not bootable (although
    some OEM versions are) and what you want to do is get to the DOS prompt.

    I've no idea why you are now attempting to flash the bios. Take things
    one step at a time and get your boot problem resolved first.
    --

    Graham wrote:

    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > Thats the problem, when I try to boot the system from a Windows ME boot
    > floppy the floppy sounds as though it is loading but then everything stops.
    > No prompt, no display, even (cont)+(alt)+(del) does not work.

    > AS far as i
    > know they were trying to download a file for a gprs device which had all the
    > speed cameras included.

    I have no idea what you're talking about.

    sounds like your WinME bootfloppy is suffering from bitrot. *I* think
    *you* think your BIOS is fried, but it isn't. It really hasn't got
    anything to do with your original problem.

    First try booting into Safe Mode: When you boot the computer you'll see
    the "memorycheck" screen, then a hardware screen which gives some
    details as to how you're system is configured. That's the BIOS' startup
    tests on the machine and has nothing to do with Windows.

    As soon as that part is finished a little note will appear under the
    hardware-info screen "Starting Windows". When you see that punch <F8>
    to get the Startup Menu and pick 'Safe Mode'. It may take a few tries to
    get it to work.

    Alternative to getting into Safe Mode is to find a working *WinME* (not
    6.22[1] not Win2K) boot floppy and run SCANREG /FIX or SCANREG /RESTORE

    Rick

    [1] Darn it Mike, you made me go all the way over to Google for that ;)

    > Thats the problem,

    No, it's quite irrelevant. If you can't boot to a DOS prompt using a Win
    Me boot floppy your problems have nothing to do with the operating system
    or the filing system on the hard disk but instead are almost certainly due
    to hardware failure of some sort or a faulty boot floppy. You can create
    an alternative Win Me boot disk by downloading an image of a Win Me boot
    floppy from www.bootdisk.com to your desktop, double clicking on the image
    file and following the prompts to transfer the image to the floppy.
    --

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > > Thats the problem,
    >
    > No, it's quite irrelevant. If you can't boot to a DOS prompt using a Win
    > Me boot floppy your problems have nothing to do with the operating system
    > or the filing system on the hard disk but instead are almost certainly due
    > to hardware failure of some sort or a faulty boot floppy. You can create
    > an alternative Win Me boot disk by downloading an image of a Win Me boot
    > floppy from www.bootdisk.com to your desktop, double clicking on the image
    > file and following the prompts to transfer the image to the floppy.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Graham <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thats the problem, when I try to boot the system from a Windows ME
    > > boot floppy the floppy sounds as though it is loading but then
    > > everything stops. No prompt, no display, even (cont)+(alt)+(del) does
    > > not work. AS far as i know they were trying to download a file for a
    > > gprs device which had all the speed cameras included.
    >
    > Hi Guys,

    Thanks for your help problem now solved! I downloaded the ME bootdisk, and
    when booting it came up with "no operating system". I looked in the bios, and
    found theat the disk drive had been set to type "1". changing the setting to
    "auto" cured the problem.

    It seems that I have a foulty disk, but do not see how downloading from the
    internet caused the drive type to change in the bios.

    Bye for now, and thanks again.

    Graham

    (... or I could check the entire to thread to see if it's been solved
    before posting :/

    Graham, what's a "gprs device with all the speed cameras" ? Satellite
    surveillance of speed traps ?

    Rick
    PS: it doesn't seem that you have a faulty hard disk.

    Graham wrote:

    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >

    >>>Thats the problem,
    >>
    >>No, it's quite irrelevant. If you can't boot to a DOS prompt using a Win
    >>Me boot floppy your problems have nothing to do with the operating system
    >>or the filing system on the hard disk but instead are almost certainly due
    >>to hardware failure of some sort or a faulty boot floppy. You can create
    >>an alternative Win Me boot disk by downloading an image of a Win Me boot
    >>floppy from www.bootdisk.com to your desktop, double clicking on the image
    >>file and following the prompts to transfer the image to the floppy.
    >>--
    >>Mike Maltby
    >>mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >>

    >>Graham <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thats the problem, when I try to boot the system from a Windows ME
    >>>boot floppy the floppy sounds as though it is loading but then
    >>>everything stops. No prompt, no display, even (cont)+(alt)+(del) does
    >>>not work. AS far as i know they were trying to download a file for a
    >>>gprs device which had all the speed cameras included.
    >>
    >>Hi Guys,
    >

    > Thanks for your help problem now solved! I downloaded the ME bootdisk, and
    > when booting it came up with "no operating system". I looked in the bios, and
    > found theat the disk drive had been set to type "1". changing the setting to
    > "auto" cured the problem.
    >
    > It seems that I have a foulty disk, but do not see how downloading from the
    > internet caused the drive type to change in the bios.
    >
    > Bye for now, and thanks again.
    >
    > Graham

    > Graham, what's a "gprs device with all the speed cameras" ? Satellite
    > surveillance of speed traps ?

    A map of speed camera sites. Speed cameras are used here to generate profit.
    They cause drivers to brake suddenly, then speed up again, and have largely
    replaced traffic cops. Of course, if you need maps - ie, you can't spot them
    and react in a timely manner - you're not much of a driver (but then most of
    'em aren't. They don't even know enough to know that they're not).

    Shane

    Shane wrote:
    >>Graham, what's a "gprs device with all the speed cameras" ? Satellite
    >>surveillance of speed traps ?
    >

    > A map of speed camera sites. Speed cameras are used here to generate profit.
    > They cause drivers to brake suddenly, then speed up again, and have largely
    > replaced traffic cops. Of course, if you need maps - ie, you can't spot them
    > and react in a timely manner - you're not much of a driver (but then most of
    > 'em aren't. They don't even know enough to know that they're not).

    Ahhh, they move them around over'ere.

    Rick

    > Shane wrote:
    >>>Graham, what's a "gprs device with all the speed cameras" ? Satellite
    >>>surveillance of speed traps ?
    >>

    >> A map of speed camera sites. Speed cameras are used here to generate
    >> profit. They cause drivers to brake suddenly, then speed up again, and
    >> have largely replaced traffic cops. Of course, if you need maps - ie, you
    >> can't spot them and react in a timely manner - you're not much of a
    >> driver (but then most of 'em aren't. They don't even know enough to know
    >> that they're not).
    >
    > Ahhh, they move them around over'ere.

    Yes, we have those, too. If you see the sign for Speed Cameras, but no
    actual camera, and no markings on the road, odds are this is a mobile camera
    location. I passed one about 8 or 10 miles up the road, recently. Apart from
    motorists coming the other way flashing their headlights , I saw the police
    van well in advance (and also the surely-redundant Mobile Speed Camera
    legend upon it. Who, when breaking the speed limit, doesn't slow to legal
    speed to pass a police vehicle?).

    Shane

    Shane
    You should try living in this area - all the major roads have speed-camera
    signs every half-mile or so!!

    The little b*st*rds hide in disused parking lots and jump out in front of
    you pointing their gun - at 11 o'clock on Sunday 11/11... £60 that one cost
    me! (I was on the way back from the pharmacist with Pethidine for my ex)....
    he should have been at the parade! - Oh, and there was no camera sign in
    sight!

    They have around 6 or 7 units that do nothing but mobile
    speedtrap/licence-checks - each unit consists of at least two cars, and can
    be up to a mob consisting of 5 cars, 3 bikes, and two vans.
    One time they actually sealed off an entire town, covering all roads in and
    out!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> A map of speed camera sites. Speed cameras are used here to generate
    >>> profit. They cause drivers to brake suddenly, then speed up again, and
    >>> have largely replaced traffic cops. Of course, if you need maps - ie,
    >>> you can't spot them and react in a timely manner - you're not much of a
    >>> driver (but then most of 'em aren't. They don't even know enough to know
    >>> that they're not).
    >>
    >> Ahhh, they move them around over'ere.
    >>

    > Yes, we have those, too. If you see the sign for Speed Cameras, but no
    > actual camera, and no markings on the road, odds are this is a mobile
    > camera location. I passed one about 8 or 10 miles up the road, recently.
    > Apart from motorists coming the other way flashing their headlights , I
    > saw the police van well in advance (and also the surely-redundant Mobile
    > Speed Camera legend upon it. Who, when breaking the speed limit, doesn't
    > slow to legal speed to pass a police vehicle?).
    >
    > Shane

    They're not that bad down here, they have a mobile van now and they tend
    to announce in the local weekly rag where they will be for a period of
    time <g>
    The odd occasion when they have been around my village they park hidden by
    hedges or in peoples driveways, it doesn't seem to make any difference to
    the speed some come into the village though, probably because it's very
    rare we see the police round here.
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > Shane
    > You should try living in this area - all the major roads have
    > speed-camera signs every half-mile or so!!
    >
    > The little b*st*rds hide in disused parking lots and jump out in
    > front of you pointing their gun - at 11 o'clock on Sunday 11/11...
    > £60 that one cost me! (I was on the way back from the pharmacist with
    > Pethidine for my ex).... he should have been at the parade! - Oh, and
    > there was no camera sign in sight!
    >
    > They have around 6 or 7 units that do nothing but mobile
    > speedtrap/licence-checks - each unit consists of at least two cars,
    > and can be up to a mob consisting of 5 cars, 3 bikes, and two vans.
    > One time they actually sealed off an entire town, covering all roads
    > in and out!

    Different country, Noel. Welsh officialdom is the most petty-minded,
    mean-spirited, power-crazed - it's like they're continually trying to
    impress their English masters with how exactly by-the-book they can go.

    Do you know those guns are supposed to be calibrated that morning, but
    usually coppers can't be bothered, so if you challenge it odds are you won't
    be prosecuted? Though in Wales they probably do calibrate them every
    morning!

    Love Welsh women! But Jeez what they have to put up with!

    Shane

    > Shane
    > You should try living in this area - all the major roads have
    > speed-camera signs every half-mile or so!!
    >
    > The little b*st*rds hide in disused parking lots and jump out in front of
    > you pointing their gun - at 11 o'clock on Sunday 11/11... £60 that one
    > cost me! (I was on the way back from the pharmacist with Pethidine for my
    > ex).... he should have been at the parade! - Oh, and there was no camera
    > sign in sight!
    >
    > They have around 6 or 7 units that do nothing but mobile
    > speedtrap/licence-checks - each unit consists of at least two cars, and
    > can be up to a mob consisting of 5 cars, 3 bikes, and two vans.
    > One time they actually sealed off an entire town, covering all roads in
    > and out!
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Ahhh, they move them around over'ere.
    >>>

    >> Yes, we have those, too. If you see the sign for Speed Cameras, but no
    >> actual camera, and no markings on the road, odds are this is a mobile
    >> camera location. I passed one about 8 or 10 miles up the road, recently.
    >> Apart from motorists coming the other way flashing their headlights , I
    >> saw the police van well in advance (and also the surely-redundant Mobile
    >> Speed Camera legend upon it. Who, when breaking the speed limit, doesn't
    >> slow to legal speed to pass a police vehicle?).
    >>
    >> Shane

    Noel.....we have those sob's on the roads at all times. Hiding (as you say)
    in parking lots and behind semis. I got nailed for doing 83 kph in a 50 kph
    zone on a country road....$120!! Elayne cried, she was laughing so hard. I
    rarely go over 80 and twice I have gotten speeding tickets out in the
    country in a 50 kph zone. Durned fools!!

    Did you know it is illegal to *flash your lights* to warn oncoming traffic
    that there is a radar trap? Yep.....you can get fined for that too.

    Cheers from a slightly cooler Brampton......about 30 something.

    Figgs

    > Shane
    > You should try living in this area - all the major roads have
    speed-camera
    > signs every half-mile or so!!
    >
    > The little b*st*rds hide in disused parking lots and jump out in front of
    > you pointing their gun - at 11 o'clock on Sunday 11/11... £60 that one
    cost
    > me! (I was on the way back from the pharmacist with Pethidine for my
    ex)....
    > he should have been at the parade! - Oh, and there was no camera sign in
    > sight!
    >
    > They have around 6 or 7 units that do nothing but mobile
    > speedtrap/licence-checks - each unit consists of at least two cars, and
    can
    > be up to a mob consisting of 5 cars, 3 bikes, and two vans.
    > One time they actually sealed off an entire town, covering all roads in
    and
    > out!
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >> Ahhh, they move them around over'ere.
    > >>

    > > Yes, we have those, too. If you see the sign for Speed Cameras, but no
    > > actual camera, and no markings on the road, odds are this is a mobile
    > > camera location. I passed one about 8 or 10 miles up the road, recently.
    > > Apart from motorists coming the other way flashing their headlights , I
    > > saw the police van well in advance (and also the surely-redundant Mobile
    > > Speed Camera legend upon it. Who, when breaking the speed limit, doesn't
    > > slow to legal speed to pass a police vehicle?).
    > >
    > > Shane

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Who's in charge of the North Wales Constabulary?? - an Englishman!!
    (personally - I reckon he's a close relative of a certain Arab....)

    --

    > Different country, Noel. Welsh officialdom is the most petty-minded,
    > mean-spirited, power-crazed - it's like they're continually trying to
    > impress their English masters with how exactly by-the-book they can go.
    >
    > Do you know those guns are supposed to be calibrated that morning, but
    > usually coppers can't be bothered, so if you challenge it odds are you
    > won't be prosecuted? Though in Wales they probably do calibrate them every
    > morning!
    >
    > Love Welsh women! But Jeez what they have to put up with!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Shane
    >> You should try living in this area - all the major roads have
    >> speed-camera signs every half-mile or so!!
    >>
    >> The little b*st*rds hide in disused parking lots and jump out in front of
    >> you pointing their gun - at 11 o'clock on Sunday 11/11... £60 that one
    >> cost me! (I was on the way back from the pharmacist with Pethidine for my
    >> ex).... he should have been at the parade! - Oh, and there was no camera
    >> sign in sight!
    >>
    >> They have around 6 or 7 units that do nothing but mobile
    >> speedtrap/licence-checks - each unit consists of at least two cars, and
    >> can be up to a mob consisting of 5 cars, 3 bikes, and two vans.
    >> One time they actually sealed off an entire town, covering all roads in
    >> and out!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, we have those, too. If you see the sign for Speed Cameras, but no
    >>> actual camera, and no markings on the road, odds are this is a mobile
    >>> camera location. I passed one about 8 or 10 miles up the road, recently.
    >>> Apart from motorists coming the other way flashing their headlights , I
    >>> saw the police van well in advance (and also the surely-redundant Mobile
    >>> Speed Camera legend upon it. Who, when breaking the speed limit, doesn't
    >>> slow to legal speed to pass a police vehicle?).
    >>>
    >>> Shane

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    You guys have gotta be more aware! If you don't know what's going to jump
    out at you you need to be going slower anyway!

    I dunno, maybe there's no substitute for being an old biker......

    Shane

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Noel.....we have those sob's on the roads at all times. Hiding (as you
    > say)
    > in parking lots and behind semis. I got nailed for doing 83 kph in a 50
    > kph
    > zone on a country road....$120!! Elayne cried, she was laughing so hard.
    > rarely go over 80 and twice I have gotten speeding tickets out in the
    > country in a 50 kph zone. Durned fools!!
    >
    > Did you know it is illegal to *flash your lights* to warn oncoming traffic
    > that there is a radar trap? Yep.....you can get fined for that too.
    >
    > Cheers from a slightly cooler Brampton......about 30 something.
    >
    > Figgs
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Shane
    >> You should try living in this area - all the major roads have
    > speed-camera
    >> signs every half-mile or so!!
    >>
    >> The little b*st*rds hide in disused parking lots and jump out in front of
    >> you pointing their gun - at 11 o'clock on Sunday 11/11... £60 that one
    > cost
    >> me! (I was on the way back from the pharmacist with Pethidine for my
    > ex)....
    >> he should have been at the parade! - Oh, and there was no camera sign in
    >> sight!
    >>
    >> They have around 6 or 7 units that do nothing but mobile
    >> speedtrap/licence-checks - each unit consists of at least two cars, and
    > can
    >> be up to a mob consisting of 5 cars, 3 bikes, and two vans.
    >> One time they actually sealed off an entire town, covering all roads in
    > and
    >> out!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > know

    >> > Yes, we have those, too. If you see the sign for Speed Cameras, but no
    >> > actual camera, and no markings on the road, odds are this is a mobile
    >> > camera location. I passed one about 8 or 10 miles up the road,
    >> > recently.
    >> > Apart from motorists coming the other way flashing their headlights , I
    >> > saw the police van well in advance (and also the surely-redundant
    >> > Mobile
    >> > Speed Camera legend upon it. Who, when breaking the speed limit,
    >> > doesn't
    >> > slow to legal speed to pass a police vehicle?).
    >> >
    >> > Shane

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Who's in charge of the North Wales Constabulary?? - an Englishman!!

    He'd be the one the rest are trying to impress!

    > (personally - I reckon he's a close relative of a certain Arab....)

    Are we talking Fulham, here?

    Shane

Boot Microsoft Windows