Athlon 3000+ XP Blue screen of death problem! HELP!

Hi fellows,

First, here's the list of what I own :

- AMD Athlon 3000+ XP 333fsb (chipset)
- ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (motherboard)
- 2x Kingston 512mb RAM 400mhz PC32000

My problem :

My processor, when playing in the bios, is supposed to use a CPU
EXTERNAL FREQUENCY of 166mhz at default settings. But, I can only run
it at 133mhz, wich decrease my cpu speed of almost half the power. If I
set 166mhz, I only get blue screens.

What I tried so far :

- switch RAM (even tried Corsair ProSeries)
- updated BIOS (ver. 1013)
- hang myself :p

Anyone have a cue about something I should look for? I can't see what
else I could do ... :(

Sam

Sometime on, or about 29 Mar 2005 20:27:50 -0800, pelletiermax@gmail.com
wrote:

> Hi fellows,
>
> First, here's the list of what I own :
>
> - AMD Athlon 3000+ XP 333fsb (chipset)
> - ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (motherboard)
> - 2x Kingston 512mb RAM 400mhz PC32000
>
> My problem :
>
> My processor, when playing in the bios, is supposed to use a CPU
> EXTERNAL FREQUENCY of 166mhz at default settings. But, I can only run
> it at 133mhz, wich decrease my cpu speed of almost half the power. If I
> set 166mhz, I only get blue screens.
>
> What I tried so far :
>
> - switch RAM (even tried Corsair ProSeries)
> - updated BIOS (ver. 1013)
> - hang myself :p
>
> Anyone have a cue about something I should look for? I can't see what
> else I could do ... :(

166mhz is actually the correct speed. What you see in BIOS is multiplied by
2 to get an equivalent frequency of 333mhz. I have this exact same board
with the 3200+ CPU. It shows as 200mhz in BIOS which ends up being 400mhz.
Your RAM is the same and you should be sure to run it at the same speed as
your CPU (in your case - 166).

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first