Missing Speaker Icon

Hi,

A while back, I inquired of this group about a problem with the little
speaker icon on the task tray continually disappearing. Even with the many
suggestions, no solution was found.

Now, I've finally realized that the icon goes away after running IE 5.5. If
I restore it, it's okay until I run IE 5.5 again - which is nearly every
time I am on this thing. Any ideas on this?

Thanks
Olen

Upgrade to IE6.
"Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A while back, I inquired of this group about a problem with the little
> speaker icon on the task tray continually disappearing. Even with the
many
> suggestions, no solution was found.
>
> Now, I've finally realized that the icon goes away after running IE 5.5.
If
> I restore it, it's okay until I run IE 5.5 again - which is nearly every
> time I am on this thing. Any ideas on this?
>
> Thanks
> Olen

Or try FireFox. It is vastly superior.

Btw: are you fully service packed and patched?

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> Upgrade to IE6.
> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > A while back, I inquired of this group about a problem with the little
> > speaker icon on the task tray continually disappearing. Even with the
> many
> > suggestions, no solution was found.
> >
> > Now, I've finally realized that the icon goes away after running IE 5.5.
> If
> > I restore it, it's okay until I run IE 5.5 again - which is nearly every
> > time I am on this thing. Any ideas on this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Olen

He's running IE5.5 and you ask that question??

Olen - do yourself a favour and visit Windows Update, and download
1) the System Restore Patch (KB290700)
2) IE6SP1
3) ALL other Critical patches

DO the updates one or two at a time - post back if you have problems, with
details of the EXACT error messages you see.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Or try FireFox. It is vastly superior.
>
> Btw: are you fully service packed and patched?
>
> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
>> Upgrade to IE6.
>> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > A while back, I inquired of this group about a problem with the little
>> > speaker icon on the task tray continually disappearing. Even with the
>> many
>> > suggestions, no solution was found.
>> >
>> > Now, I've finally realized that the icon goes away after running IE
>> > 5.5.
>> If
>> > I restore it, it's okay until I run IE 5.5 again - which is nearly
>> > every
>> > time I am on this thing. Any ideas on this?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Olen

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Here is a bit more info.

A few months ago, I tried to upgrade IE5.5 to IE6, but all I got was a real
mess - IE just hung and crashed the system. That was a mess to fix,
especially since Restore wouldn't work. Guess I should look into it again,
but I'm not all that eager to get into that again.

I get NO error message when the speaker icon vanished. The icon is there, I
go online with IE, and the speaker icon is usually gone when I next boot the
system. (It's okay with everything else from OE to WP.)

I guess this is more annoying and mystifying than a function problem. I
just can't figure it out.

Olen

> He's running IE5.5 and you ask that question??
>
> Olen - do yourself a favour and visit Windows Update, and download
> 1) the System Restore Patch (KB290700)
> 2) IE6SP1
> 3) ALL other Critical patches
>
> DO the updates one or two at a time - post back if you have problems, with
> details of the EXACT error messages you see.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> > Or try FireFox. It is vastly superior.
> >
> > Btw: are you fully service packed and patched?
> >
> > "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> >> Upgrade to IE6.
> >> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message

> >> many

> >> If

Is System Restore non-functional still? If so, then I'd suggest starting a
new thread, describing the error message you get when you attempt to create
a manual restore point......but I suspect that the problem is Norton!
All things Norton *will* eventually screw your ME system up (it seems to be
their reaction to the fact that System Restore kills Norton because it
writes things to the registry that it didn't oughta!)
Norton has a bad history of breaking Windows Updates, also - never try and
install WU's without disabling Norton first.

WRT your volume icon - I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is caused by
Explorer having crashed - do any other icons also go missing from the
Systray?

--

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the comments. Here is a bit more info.
>
> A few months ago, I tried to upgrade IE5.5 to IE6, but all I got was a
> real
> mess - IE just hung and crashed the system. That was a mess to fix,
> especially since Restore wouldn't work. Guess I should look into it
> again,
> but I'm not all that eager to get into that again.
>
> I get NO error message when the speaker icon vanished. The icon is there,
> go online with IE, and the speaker icon is usually gone when I next boot
> the
> system. (It's okay with everything else from OE to WP.)
>
> I guess this is more annoying and mystifying than a function problem. I
> just can't figure it out.
>
> Olen
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> He's running IE5.5 and you ask that question??
>>
>> Olen - do yourself a favour and visit Windows Update, and download
>> 1) the System Restore Patch (KB290700)
>> 2) IE6SP1
>> 3) ALL other Critical patches
>>
>> DO the updates one or two at a time - post back if you have problems,
>> with
>> details of the EXACT error messages you see.
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
>> > Or try FireFox. It is vastly superior.
>> >
>> > Btw: are you fully service packed and patched?
>> >
>> > "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message

> little
> the

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the tip on Norton - I was unaware of that. I'll be sure to get
rid of it next time I upgrade or try to restore. I'll try the restore again
with no Norton running.

Yes, one other icon vanishes, but I see it as incidental and not part of the
problem. The icon for an external USB hard drive also goes away and comes
back when I restore the speaker icon. But, the vanishing act was present
before I installed the USB drive, and I've also tested since by removing the
unit with no effect.

Olen

> Is System Restore non-functional still? If so, then I'd suggest starting a
> new thread, describing the error message you get when you attempt to
create
> a manual restore point......but I suspect that the problem is Norton!
> All things Norton *will* eventually screw your ME system up (it seems to
be
> their reaction to the fact that System Restore kills Norton because it
> writes things to the registry that it didn't oughta!)
> Norton has a bad history of breaking Windows Updates, also - never try and
> install WU's without disabling Norton first.
>
> WRT your volume icon - I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is caused by
> Explorer having crashed - do any other icons also go missing from the
> Systray?
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Thanks for the comments. Here is a bit more info.
> >
> > A few months ago, I tried to upgrade IE5.5 to IE6, but all I got was a
> > real
> > mess - IE just hung and crashed the system. That was a mess to fix,
> > especially since Restore wouldn't work. Guess I should look into it
> > again,
> > but I'm not all that eager to get into that again.
> >
> > I get NO error message when the speaker icon vanished. The icon is
there,
> > go online with IE, and the speaker icon is usually gone when I next boot
> > the
> > system. (It's okay with everything else from OE to WP.)
> >
> > I guess this is more annoying and mystifying than a function problem. I
> > just can't figure it out.
> >
> > Olen
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> He's running IE5.5 and you ask that question??
> >>
> >> Olen - do yourself a favour and visit Windows Update, and download
> >> 1) the System Restore Patch (KB290700)
> >> 2) IE6SP1
> >> 3) ALL other Critical patches
> >>
> >> DO the updates one or two at a time - post back if you have problems,
> >> with
> >> details of the EXACT error messages you see.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message

> > little
> > the

IE

Classic signs of a crash in Explorer.exe!!

Get rid of Norton now - and get something to replace it (almost anything is
better - common sense will do, in the short term!!)

Your SR problem....
The following may apply - if not , then post back with details on error
messages!!!!

Have you been running with the Quack?
Are you running Norton System Quack - - errr - Doctor?
If so, then read on...... (otherwise, work back from the end...look for
[section 2])

You may have up to 32,000 empty OEM*.INF files sitting in your
c:\Windows\INF folder, which prevents any program putting a legitimate *.INF
file in there (it also slow your system down to stop, trying to read them
and sort the [non-existent] contents!).
You need to DELETE all 0byte (and ONLY the 0byte) OEM*.INF files.
look here for information on how to do that , and how to prevent it
happening again (i.e. TURN OFF NORTON SYSTEM DOCTOR - unless you are
actively troubleshooting something)

The Symantec site:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n

also
"Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or
Adding New Hardware"
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967)
also
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301540
(which contains the fix for your problem in the NOTE under the patch
description)
Phone your Local MS office, and tell them your problem quoting Q301540 -
they'll either send you the patch, or give you a one-use password, for the
cost of the call.

[section 2]
(this may or may not apply -depending on your history with Norton - but it's
worth checking! - move to [section 3] if not)

Your %1/%2 error is caused usually by Norton LiveUpdate, corrupting the
System Restore archive - although there are other possible causes.

Do a Search for the file WININIT.INI - if you find it, then rename it to
WININIT.JNK, and reboot - your problem should be gone.

If you don't find it, then try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.

If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
the easiest at present.

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
A:\> prompt.

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

HTH

[section3]

Generalised problems with SR

You need to first check how much space System Restore is actually taking up
on your HD - it *should be* no more than 12% of the space on the C; drive..
If it's any more, then your System Restore control files have been corrupted
(probably by Norton!) - and you need to reset SR.
Since we still haven't established whether your system is up-to-date with
the patches....

It's possible that you haven't installed the System Restore Patch - without
which any current restore points are just space fillers.
To check this, look for the file C:\Windows\System\SMGR.DLL - r-click on the
file, and select Properties.
What's the version number? - if it's v4.90.0.3003 then you have installed
the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.

To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and download
the patch for offline install
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same time,
clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow), and
creating a single new one.
You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard
Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as Office.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Hi,

Good news and not so good news.

GOOD - I needed and got the patch for SR, and it now APPEARS to work.

NOT SO GOOD - the icon vanishing act continues.

I checked and have NO 0 byte files in c:\windows\INF.

Also, I only run Norton Anti-Virus - do not use LiveUpdate but do have Auto
Protect enabled. I tried running with this disabled, but this did not solve
the icon mystery. Guess I just have to live with that which is certainly
not the worse thing I have to live with.

Thanks,
Olen

> [...]
> the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
> if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
>
> To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
download
> the patch for offline install
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
> Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
time,
> clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow), and
> creating a single new one.
> You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
> adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard
> Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
> purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as

Try:

Start > Run > type SYSTRAY and press enter.

Does the speaker icon reappear?

Zee

> [...]
> > if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
> >
> > To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
> download
> > the patch for offline install
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
> > Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
> time,
> > clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow),
and
> > creating a single new one.
> > You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
> > adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System |
Hard
> > Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
> > purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as

I'd be very surprised if it does!.......

OK - we seem to have here (at least on the face of it) a rather woefully
unpatched system ( or a system that's been reinstalled from the CD rather
than from the active folder)

Olen
As I've said before - you ***really*** need to install all the 'Critical'
updates from Windows Update - whether or not they appear to relate to your
current problems

Once you've done that then we can turn to specifics (it simply isn't worth
it, until then!!)

NORTON IS A VIRUS - or as close as makes no difference in the real world of
Win ME.... PLEASE, UNINSTALL IT NOW - and all other entries in Add/Remove
Programs labelled as either Symantec, or Norton - then run all the Norton
removal tools you can find (common sense works wonders!!) to get rid of the
multitudinous dregs that the uninstaller leaves behind.

Download a freebie AV - almost anything (including Common Sense - AKA Safe
Hex) is better than that POS known as NAV, and use that to scan the system
both before and after updating from WU.

You won't regret it (apart from wondering why you allowed those dips from
Symantec to pick your pockets in the first place....), and will find your
system more responsive, and better-behaved as a consequence. (Heck, you may
even find it works!!<g>)

If you're unwilling to remove Norton/Symantec, then I can only pity you -
and am unable to help those who refuse to help themselves.

--

> I'd be very surprised if it does!.......

Me too, but...

The rest of your post is, as you say, common sense.

Zee

Olen, I hesitate to add to this already long set of posts, since I've
possibly missed this very solution being offered, but when MY 'Volume
Control' icon vanished from my Systray? I found that by going to the Control
Panel and clicking on 'Sounds and Multimedia' that there's a tick-box right
there that says 'Show Volume Control in task bar'. Ticking that and 'Apply'
& 'Ok' fixed it here. Maybe check on that????

> [...]
> > if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
> >
> > To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
> download
> > the patch for offline install
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
> > Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
> time,
> > clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow),
and
> > creating a single new one.
> > You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
> > adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System |
Hard
> > Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
> > purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as

Thank you for your comments. I've done that and much more with only
temporary success.

I have found a crude but simple fix by compiling a one line script to reload
the taskbar when the system boots. It works.

If you would like details of what I did, let me know. Please e-mail me
directly because this is probably my last on this thread.

Thanks,
Olen
opearson@citcom.net

"mogramjo" <mogramjo@cox.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
> > >
> > > To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
> > download
> > > the patch for offline install
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
> > > Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
> > time,
> > > clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow),
> and
> > > creating a single new one.
> > > You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
> > > adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System |
> Hard
> > > Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
> > > purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as

Noel,

Okay, I have updated everything I can find to update regarding WinME, IE,
and OE.

I have not gotten rid of Norton and really don't intend to at this point.
Frankly, all you did was verbally trash Norton with no real facts to support
it. Maybe it's really as bad as you say, but I have no evidence to that
effect. All the people I know who use NAV are happy with it.

If that makes me a fool in your eyes, then so be it. I've been viewed as
and called much worse - and surely will be again.

Whatever you may think, I DO appreciate your suggestions and attempts to
help, but I don't appreciate being verbally chastise.

This will be my last post on this thread. I must go attend to my formally
"rather woefully unpatched system" and run that nasty NAV!!

Olen

PS. Save the trashing for the French and Germans!!

> I'd be very surprised if it does!.......
>
> OK - we seem to have here (at least on the face of it) a rather woefully
> unpatched system ( or a system that's been reinstalled from the CD rather
> than from the active folder)
>
> Olen
> As I've said before - you ***really*** need to install all the 'Critical'
> updates from Windows Update - whether or not they appear to relate to your
> current problems
>
> Once you've done that then we can turn to specifics (it simply isn't worth
> it, until then!!)
>
> NORTON IS A VIRUS - or as close as makes no difference in the real world
of
> Win ME.... PLEASE, UNINSTALL IT NOW - and all other entries in Add/Remove
> Programs labelled as either Symantec, or Norton - then run all the Norton
> removal tools you can find (common sense works wonders!!) to get rid of
the
> multitudinous dregs that the uninstaller leaves behind.
>
> Download a freebie AV - almost anything (including Common Sense - AKA
Safe
> Hex) is better than that POS known as NAV, and use that to scan the system
> both before and after updating from WU.
>
> You won't regret it (apart from wondering why you allowed those dips from
> Symantec to pick your pockets in the first place....), and will find your
> system more responsive, and better-behaved as a consequence. (Heck, you
may
> even find it works!!<g>)
>
> If you're unwilling to remove Norton/Symantec, then I can only pity you -
> and am unable to help those who refuse to help themselves.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > Start > Run > type SYSTRAY and press enter.
> >
> > Does the speaker icon reappear?
> >
> > Zee

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Noel was speaking the truth.......and if you want confirmation on that, then
go to the Google Archives and put in NAV or Norton or Symantec and WinME for
this ng in particular. Many, many people have found to their surprise that
Norton was the program that was screwing up their computer.

If you wish to continue using it, then so be it. But you have been warned.
The choice is yours.

Heather

> [...]
> > Symantec to pick your pockets in the first place....), and will find
your
> > system more responsive, and better-behaved as a consequence. (Heck, you
> may
> > even find it works!!<g>)
> >
> > If you're unwilling to remove Norton/Symantec, then I can only pity
you -
> > and am unable to help those who refuse to help themselves.
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Try:
> > >
> > > Start > Run > type SYSTRAY and press enter.

Norton (rather often) has problems with WinME; if you have problems with
your system that seem unsolveable, the best thing to do is to uninstall
Norton before solving it. This applies to any large program that
attempts to take over as many functions as Norton does.

Whether you put it back on or not after fixing your system is up to you.

Rick